My France trip - long (Rufus T Firefly)
b***@googlemail.com
2008-07-01 13:30:44 UTC
Here I am back from another great France trip. Bikes: zx9r, ZZR1100,
XJR1300, Sv1000S, GSXR750, CBR600.

Short version: I went to France - it was great.

Long Version:

Sunday: Home to Portsmouth.
6 of us were booked on the overnight Ferry from Portsmouth to Caen so
I met up with the 4 midlands guys at the Air Balloon on Birdlip Hill
and we got on with the dull slog down to Portsmouth. We met our London
guy at the Ship and Castle for a drink and some pub grub then got
ready to board the ferry at 22.30. Set clocks forward one hour. Got on
board and sorted the bikes strapping down and luggage off and into the
cabin. Then to the bar for a beer to help with sleep. I was sharing
with Phill who I had not seen for a few months so we chatted away and
it was 3.30 by the time we got to sleep.

Monday: Caen to Angouleme.
Awoken by opera at 6.10, showered got the gear together and went for a
bite to eat. Disembarked at 7.15 and set off out of Caen. We lost
Steve within 5 minutes after an enthusiastic peel off by Neil who was
leading. We stopped and texted Steve to meet us in Livarot which was
the next ville on our route. Waited in a cafe in Livarot, drinking
small but strong coffee. The French folk in the bar were starting
their day with a beer or a shot of something or other. Steve arrived
only 30 mins after us which was good considering he had no tank bag
and his map was in his rucksack bungeed to the seat. After another
coffee we set off. Lunch in Amboise by the river when it started to
rain. It came to nothing but as we left Amboise on the way to Loches
we were chasing a huge dark sky with really impressive fork lightning.
We got a bit wet when the skies opened but didnt bother stopping for
waterproofs or clear visors. It only lasted a few minutes and by
Loches the roads were bone dry. That was the only rain we were to see
on the trip until Friday night in Honfleur. Later on we saw 38 degrees
on the Chemist signs. As it was getting late we went via Poitiers and
the boring N10 down to Angouleme. We found the hotel just as the
Madame on reception was unlocking the garage for a French BMW GS
adventure so we followed in and parked up. Melting in the car park and
reception we got our keys and got showered and changed to go up to
Angouleme centre for dinner. Nice meal again. The AC was not up to
much in the room so slept with the window wide open but it was still
hot.

Tuesday: Angouleme to Montpelier via Millau.
The street cleaners and bin emptiers started at 5 so I woke up
sweating and could not get back to sleep. Typical Etap continental
breakfast was had and we headed out.
Through Brantome and Perigeux then the highlight of the day was to be
the Race Track Road,
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=9929037605002406614,45.040597,0.866717&saddr=D45+%4045.040597,+0.866717&daddr=44.899667,1.211575&mra=mi&mrsp=1,0&sz=17&sll=44.89988,1.210846&sspn=0.005783,0.013647&ie=UTF8&ll=44.97179,1.039145&spn=0.184835,0.436707&z=12
D45 and D47 to Les Eyzies de Tayac Sireuil and Sarlat la Caneda. I
mentioned this last time I went and it was as good as before,
fantastic road surface, sweeping corners with great visibility. Lunch
in Sarlat was good as usual. Via Figeac, near Rodez and then off to
Millau where we stopped for fuel and headed down the E11 autoroute to
Montpelier. There were some wonderful corners and tunnels on the route
so it was not all bad, KSBs in every tunnell and messing about tucking
in and overtaking each other passed the time till we got into
Montpelier. It was very hot so we filtered a bit and there were more
tunnels in town. We were directed to the underground parking but we
got lost walking out with all our gear, sweating profusely. Took about
an hour to find the hotel so it was about 22.30 when we were ready to
eat. Ate a good meal in the hotel with lots of fluids. AC was again
rubbish so the window was wide open but made no real difference.

Wednesday: Montpelier to Millau and back.
Had a bit of a lie in until 9 then breakfast and headed out by 10 to
Millau with some great roads and scenery via Ganges and Le Vigan.Lots
of switchbacks and a tunnel at the top. Lost Phill, Steve and Giles
when they went off ahead while Neil, Greg and I were admiring the
scenery. Headed into Millau and found a bar and ordered food and
fluids. Texted the guys where we were and ate lunch. They arrived 1
hour later with tales of single track mountain roads and gravel
tracks. After a long lunch we went up to one of the visitor centres
under the Millau viaduct and took some photos. Then we headed back
down the E11 to Montpelier enjoying the tunnels and sweepers. Out in
Montpelier watching the beautiful people admiring themselves in the
massive square surrounded by wonderfull old buildings. Another hot
night.

Thursday: Montpelier to Limoges.
Awoken by lots of noise at 5 and could not get back to sleep so I got
up just before 6 and had a cold shower. Jumped on the 9R and headed to
Le Grande Motte to see the Med. It was 21 degrees and the sun was
rising, it was wonderful to be standing on the beach at 6.15. Headed
back to the hotel for breakfast and to load up. Back up the E11 to
Millau to go over the viaduct and into the top visitor centre. Greg
stopped before the viaduct to switch on his video camera and get some
on bridge footage we did not notice and pulled into the visitor centre
while he sailed by. I ran up the hill to get some photos along the
viaduct and out over Millau town. We started off on our way to Rodez
where we hoped to meet Greg for lunch. Arrived in Rodez at a massive
church in the centre and texted Greg to meet us. He replied that he
was by the church already but we could not find him. He finally
arrived with us and agreed that this was a big church, he had entered
Rodez via a different route and had not realised there was another
church. Great lunch in the square. Then off to Limoges via Figeac and
Tulle. Another nice meal in Limoges and a walk in the park where some
lovely young people were dancing, slowly and classically. I had the
biggest profiteroles I have ever seen.

Friday: Limoges to Caen via Honfleur.
We were woken a 3.30 by the noisiest delivery driver ever. Phill
leaned out of the window and there was a free and frank discussion
about the merits of making deliveries early in the morning. The driver
may have learned some new swear words but if he had been doing this
job long then I suspect it was not the first time he has heard them.
Breakfast and all of us looked as bad as the others felt. Grrr. Thank
goodness for coffee and croissants. Via Bellac, Montmorillon and by
the time we stopped in Le Blanc everyone was feeling great. It was a
bit cooler then the previous few days but still wonderfully sunny,
some fluid replacement in Le Blanc and we were ready for the off.
Loches and lunch in Amboise, I had enormous, delicious prawns. Yum.
Then we decided to have dinner in Honfleur via La Ferte Bernard and
Lisieux. Great meal in Honfleur and then a bit of rain came down as we
were leaving. Swapped to clear visors and off to Caen via coastal
roads not on the autoroute. A lovely wind down to the ferry but we all
had a little moment on some road markings across the width of the road
that looked just like Shellgrip but were in fact not. On the ferry,
final beer before bed and sailed away.

Saturday: Portsmouth to home.
Awoken by Neil as we had not shut our door last night, off the ferry
said our goodbyes and I got lost straight away. Went straight home.

What a fantastic trip we all had, great fun, can't wait for the next
trip.

__
Rufus T Firefly - zx9r - ex circus stunt bike.
Cane
2008-07-01 13:43:44 UTC
Post by b***@googlemail.com
Short version: I went to France - it was great.
Get to the point.
Completely lacking in crocodiles.
b***@googlemail.com
2008-07-01 13:53:59 UTC
Yes, it is but I definately saw 2 eagles and plenty of beaver.
Rope
2008-07-01 14:12:50 UTC
Post by Cane
Completely lacking in crocodiles.
Here, have one of these:

HTH
--
Rob_P
UKRM(at)indqualtec.co.uk
Easily confused.
Cab
2008-07-01 14:08:12 UTC
Post by Cane
Completely lacking in crocodiles.
And naked women.

I did like the write up though.
--
Cab :^) - I'm from *lots* of different places
Z1000ABS
email addy : ukrm_dot_cab_at_rosbif_dot_org
b***@googlemail.com
2008-07-01 14:26:43 UTC
Post by Cab
Post by Cane
Completely lacking in crocodiles.
And naked women.
I did like the write up though.
Thank you.
No naked women but lots of fine ones, especially in the south. They do
love themselves though.
Bear
2008-07-01 14:15:16 UTC
In article <36eccaaa-1c66-4994-b786-8829771d3b31
@y38g2000hsy.googlegroups.com>, says...
Post by b***@googlemail.com
Here I am back from another great France trip. Bikes: zx9r, ZZR1100,
XJR1300, Sv1000S, GSXR750, CBR600.
Great meal in Honfleur
That place has some superb restaurants; my fave is Le Grenouille.

Their scallops on a mushroom risotto-cake, drizzled with truffle oil, is
one of the most amazing things I've ever eaten. Sublime.
Post by b***@googlemail.com
What a fantastic trip we all had, great fun, can't wait for the next
trip.
Sounds wonderful ... I'm doing a run down to the south of France, then
probably a lap of Italy, in September, when my contract finishes. Can't
wait :)
Post by b***@googlemail.com
Rufus T Firefly - zx9r - ex circus stunt bike.
Still going strong? Strangely, I only mentioned the 9R just a few mins
ago, up there ^^^^ :)
--
Bear
2002 Yamaha R1
Saab Aero Sport
b***@googlemail.com
2008-07-01 14:25:01 UTC
Post by b***@googlemail.com
Here I am back from another great France trip. Bikes: zx9r, ZZR1100,
XJR1300, Sv1000S, GSXR750, CBR600.
Great meal in Honfleur
That place has some superb restaurants; my fave is Le Grenouille.
Their scallops on a mushroom risotto-cake, drizzled with truffle oil, is
one of the most amazing things I've ever eaten. Sublime.
I shall have to try there next time, I will be over in August for a
family holiday.
Post by Bear
Post by b***@googlemail.com
What a fantastic trip we all had, great fun, can't wait for the next
trip.
Sounds wonderful ... I'm doing a run down to the south of France, then
probably a lap of Italy, in September, when my contract finishes. Can't
wait :)
Hope you enjoy it. Have you done a mini review of this new R1 yet?
Post by Bear
Post by b***@googlemail.com
Rufus T Firefly - zx9r - ex circus stunt bike.
Still going strong? Strangely, I only mentioned the 9R just a few mins
ago, up there ^^^^ :)
Still very strong, we did 1600 miles and the temperature in some of
the towns was nearly 40 degrees. No issues at all. It has over 32K on
its clocks now.
Bear
2008-07-01 14:41:27 UTC
Post by b***@googlemail.com
Here I am back from another great France trip. Bikes: zx9r, ZZR1100,
XJR1300, Sv1000S, GSXR750, CBR600.
Great meal in Honfleur
That place has some superb restaurants; my fave is Le Grenouille.
Their scallops on a mushroom risotto-cake, drizzled with truffle oil, is
one of the most amazing things I've ever eaten. Sublime.
I shall have to try there next time, I will be over in August for a
family holiday.
It's fantastic. Oh, and for an "old style" french bar, try The
Albatross, over the other side of the harbour. All old wood, old blokes
(and some young folk too), fishermen and has some smashing aged calvados
- there's a 22 year-old one there that's superb, although IIRC 16 euros
a pop :) Great espressos too.
Post by b***@googlemail.com
Post by Bear
Post by b***@googlemail.com
What a fantastic trip we all had, great fun, can't wait for the next
trip.
Sounds wonderful ... I'm doing a run down to the south of France, then
probably a lap of Italy, in September, when my contract finishes. Can't
wait :)
Hope you enjoy it. Have you done a mini review of this new R1 yet?
No I'm waiting until I've done some more miles (only got it last
weekend) - I want to try it out on twisty roads at full tilt before
bothering to review it ... although in summary so far:

The engine is superb; pulls like a train at low revs, and I haven't even
redlined it yet, principally coz there's no need; it goes like stink
even at 7-8,000 rpm, and 10,000 is plain scary. Handling is razor
sharp, although I'm talking myself into bunging different forks and
shock on, coz I'm silly like that :) Brakes are utterly gobsmacking.
It looks the bollocks, goes like a scalded cat, and makes *the* most
gorgeous noises, although I think some folk might consider it a tad too
loud - after an hour and a half on it my ears were ringing, despite
wearing plugs.
Post by b***@googlemail.com
Post by Bear
Post by b***@googlemail.com
Rufus T Firefly - zx9r - ex circus stunt bike.
Still going strong? Strangely, I only mentioned the 9R just a few mins
ago, up there ^^^^ :)
Still very strong, we did 1600 miles and the temperature in some of
the towns was nearly 40 degrees. No issues at all. It has over 32K on
its clocks now.
Superb bike, that. The only bike I've ever bought brand new, and still
my fave all-rounder; I know full well the R1 will be murder to tour on -
tailpiece doesn't like throwovers (too thin, flimsy and wide), so I'll
need to use the Kriega, so I'll be hotter and more uncomfortable than on
the 9R, but I'm looking forward to some balls-out blasts on French and
Italian roads :)

Roll on September.
--
Bear
2002 Yamaha R1
Saab Aero Sport
Eddie
2008-07-01 14:50:26 UTC
http://www.ventura-bike.co.uk/order_now/more.asp?fitment_id=663
--
Eddie ***@deguello.org

His: ZX-9R, Elefant 900 http://www.last.fm/group/ukrm
Hers: Monster S4R, GSX600F (breaking, everything must go!)
Bear
2008-07-01 15:04:22 UTC
Post by Eddie
I know full well the R1 will be murder to tour on - tailpiece doesn't
like throwovers (too thin, flimsy and wide), so I'll need to use the
Kriega
http://www.ventura-bike.co.uk/order_now/more.asp?fitment_id=663
Interesting ... not sure how that would go on with the tailpiece, which
I'm not sure is original [1] ... but interesting ... mind you, with
extra weight that far back I reckon I'd get off the eurotunnel train at
Calais and the front wheel probably wouldn't touch the deck til
Marseilles :)

[1] Loz, did it look OE to you?
--
Bear
2002 Yamaha R1
Saab Aero Sport
Eddie
2008-07-01 15:55:39 UTC
Post by Bear
Post by Eddie
http://www.ventura-bike.co.uk/order_now/more.asp?fitment_id=663
Interesting ... not sure how that would go on with the tailpiece, which
I'm not sure is original [1] ... but interesting ... mind you, with
extra weight that far back I reckon I'd get off the eurotunnel train at
Calais and the front wheel probably wouldn't touch the deck til
Marseilles :)
I'm not sure if you already realise this, but if you're carrying one
Ventura bag and no pillion, you can mount the rack the "wrong way", so
the weight is above the (possibly non-existent) pillion seat rather than
above the tail light.

Bear
2008-07-01 16:18:31 UTC
Post by Eddie
Post by Bear
Post by Eddie
http://www.ventura-bike.co.uk/order_now/more.asp?fitment_id=663
Interesting ... not sure how that would go on with the tailpiece, which
I'm not sure is original [1] ... but interesting ... mind you, with
extra weight that far back I reckon I'd get off the eurotunnel train at
Calais and the front wheel probably wouldn't touch the deck til
Marseilles :)
I'm not sure if you already realise this, but if you're carrying one
Ventura bag and no pillion, you can mount the rack the "wrong way", so
the weight is above the (possibly non-existent) pillion seat rather than
above the tail light.
I didn't say it would be a bad thing.
--
Bear
2002 Yamaha R1
Saab Aero Sport
Lozzo
2008-07-01 16:48:59 UTC
Post by Bear
Post by Eddie
I know full well the R1 will be murder to tour on - tailpiece
doesn't like throwovers (too thin, flimsy and wide), so I'll need
to use the Kriega
http://www.ventura-bike.co.uk/order_now/more.asp?fitment_id=663
Interesting ... not sure how that would go on with the tailpiece,
which I'm not sure is original [1] ... but interesting ... mind you,
with extra weight that far back I reckon I'd get off the eurotunnel
train at Calais and the front wheel probably wouldn't touch the deck
til Marseilles :)
[1] Loz, did it look OE to you?
It's the same as it left the factory with, just has an aftermarket
undertray fitted in place of the mudguard.

R1 tailpieces are all that flimsy.
Lozzo
Bear
2008-07-01 21:28:14 UTC
Post by Lozzo
Post by Bear
Post by Eddie
I know full well the R1 will be murder to tour on - tailpiece
doesn't like throwovers (too thin, flimsy and wide), so I'll need
to use the Kriega
http://www.ventura-bike.co.uk/order_now/more.asp?fitment_id=663
Interesting ... not sure how that would go on with the tailpiece,
which I'm not sure is original [1] ... but interesting ... mind you,
with extra weight that far back I reckon I'd get off the eurotunnel
train at Calais and the front wheel probably wouldn't touch the deck
til Marseilles :)
[1] Loz, did it look OE to you?
It's the same as it left the factory with, just has an aftermarket
undertray fitted in place of the mudguard.
R1 tailpieces are all that flimsy.
Ah, ta. So that rack would fit then. Cool.

PS: Since eBay is dry, where's good to score not-too-pricey used Ohlins
forks/shocks from?
--
Bear
2002 Yamaha R1
Saab Aero Sport
Lozzo
2008-07-01 21:39:33 UTC
Post by Bear
Post by Lozzo
Post by Bear
Post by Eddie
I know full well the R1 will be murder to tour on - tailpiece
doesn't like throwovers (too thin, flimsy and wide), so I'll
need to use the Kriega
http://www.ventura-bike.co.uk/order_now/more.asp?fitment_id=663
Interesting ... not sure how that would go on with the tailpiece,
which I'm not sure is original [1] ... but interesting ... mind
you, with extra weight that far back I reckon I'd get off the
eurotunnel train at Calais and the front wheel probably wouldn't
touch the deck til Marseilles :)
[1] Loz, did it look OE to you?
It's the same as it left the factory with, just has an aftermarket
undertray fitted in place of the mudguard.
R1 tailpieces are all that flimsy.
Ah, ta. So that rack would fit then. Cool.
PS: Since eBay is dry, where's good to score not-too-pricey used
Ohlins forks/shocks from?
I'll ask Ratty about his Ohlins shock, it's not that old.

Forks?..I haven't a clue.

Bear
2008-07-01 21:41:55 UTC
Post by Lozzo
Post by Bear
Post by Lozzo
Post by Bear
Post by Eddie
[...]
Cool, ta. 2002 is different from 1998-2001 ... but then I dare say you
know that.
Post by Lozzo
Forks?..I haven't a clue.
It's forks it most needs, I reckon.
--
Bear
2002 Yamaha R1
Saab Aero Sport
eric the brave
2008-07-01 15:19:30 UTC
Post by Bear
Post by b***@googlemail.com
Rufus T Firefly - zx9r - ex circus stunt bike.
Still going strong? Strangely, I only mentioned the 9R just a few mins
ago, up there ^^^^ :)
Small world innit ?
--
ZX10R in the correct colour.
Triumph Sprint ST for long two up touring.
http://sportstourer.org
Kevin Weller
2008-07-01 15:15:57 UTC
Post by Bear
then
probably a lap of Italy, in September, when my contract finishes
Where are you going to in Italy (asks someone who is on a ferry to Bari
from Greece in 2 days time and is looking for ideas)?

Our trip is about seeing things as much as biking (although that's just
as important) and so far we're going to Monreale then Taormina to see
Mount Etna in Sicily, ferry from Palermo to Napoli, then Herculaneum
and Pompeii. I did try to plan a route from Sicily to Sardinia then
Corsica but I can't get the ferry dates to work for us.

We need to be heading towards southern Spain after that and I'm not
sure of the best route (which would include good roads and interesting
places).

I just looked at a post of suggestions Platypus made when I was
considering a 10 day trip including Italy last year and, as a result of
that, we'll probably be adding L'Aquila to our route. We were also
considering Florence but by the time we'd waded through the 'this is
closed on that day and that is closed on this day and you should book
tickets well in advance...' in our Rough Guide we decided life, well,
this trip, is too short and we'll give it a miss.

I was hoping to do the Stelvio pass and have a look at Venice as well
but they're on the wrong side of Italy and we'll pop down to ride/see
them some other time.

While we're overrunning our original schedule quite a bit so I need to
get a move on, we'd hate to ride through Italy and miss something we
shouldn't.

(Nice trip report BTW Rufus)
--
Kevin
'07 K8 Hayabusa,'03 1150GS,'02 Dyna Super Glide,'02 FJR,'93 ZZR11, '90

http://www.last.fm/group/ukrm
Bear
2008-07-01 16:05:28 UTC
Post by Kevin Weller
Post by Bear
then
probably a lap of Italy, in September, when my contract finishes
Where are you going to in Italy
No idea. I'll just start at the north-western bit and do a lap.

Sometimes I plan stuff, sometimes I don't. For longer trips I tend to
just get a copy of the Lonely Planet guide to wherever I'm going, see
where I am each day, and see where takes my fancy. If I like a place
I'll stay a couple of days. If I don't, I move on.

I've had some really great times with that system, so I tend to stick to
it.
--
Bear
2002 Yamaha R1
Saab Aero Sport
Kevin Weller
2008-07-01 16:27:48 UTC
Post by Bear
see
where I am each day, and see where takes my fancy.
That's pretty much what we're doing except we're working 2 or 3 days in
advance.

The hotels in Italy seem to be fairly full at the moment (not
surprising as it's peak holiday season) so we're trying to get a few
more days ahead. Booking them online in advance seems to be
significantly cheaper than just turning up as well as we discovered to
our cost in Plovdiv.

http://www.last.fm/group/ukrm
wessie
2008-07-01 18:18:20 UTC
Post by Kevin Weller
Post by Bear
then
probably a lap of Italy, in September, when my contract finishes
Where are you going to in Italy (asks someone who is on a ferry to Bari
from Greece in 2 days time and is looking for ideas)?
Our trip is about seeing things as much as biking (although that's just
as important) and so far we're going to Monreale then Taormina to see
Mount Etna in Sicily, ferry from Palermo to Napoli, then Herculaneum
and Pompeii. I did try to plan a route from Sicily to Sardinia then
Corsica but I can't get the ferry dates to work for us.
Whilst in the Naples area:

Paestum http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paestum
Amalfi Coast
Ride up Vesuvius (you'll have to walk the last bit)

If you want cheap but good accommodation then stay here:
http://www.mamicamilla.com/ - they have a cookery school on site and you
can eat a 3 course meal for 15 Euros. Add 5 euros for a litre of local
wine.

It's only a few minutes walk from the Circumvesuviana rail station. Very
handy, and cheap, for trips to Pompeii, Naples & Herculaneum.

When you visit Pompeii etc you will see lots of notices saying "this room
featured an artefact that can be viewed in the Naples museum". The museum
is worth a visit.
--
wessie at tesco dot net

BMW R1150GS
Kevin Weller
2008-07-02 06:52:37 UTC
Post by wessie
Paestum http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paestum
Amalfi Coast
Paestum looks rather nice so we've just extended our stay in Ercolano by a
day so we can see both of those.
Post by wessie
Ride up Vesuvius (you'll have to walk the last bit)
That sounds fun (even the walking!).
Post by wessie
When you visit Pompeii etc you will see lots of notices saying "this room
featured an artefact that can be viewed in the Naples museum". The museum
is worth a visit.
Yes, we'd noticed that in our Rough Guide. We don't normally 'do' museums
when we're on a trip like this as they take too much time but we're making
an exception in this case.

Thanks Wessie.

http://www.last.fm/group/ukrm
Kevin Weller
2008-07-07 20:17:01 UTC
Post by wessie
Paestum http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paestum
Amalfi Coast
Good calls Wessie, thank you.

Paestum was *really* interesting. We were there first thing in the
morning, well before the crowds and before it got too hot, and we were
there for hours. The museum was also worth a visit.

The Amalfi coast was a grin. Unfortunately the bike was still fully
loaded which made it a bit of a lunp round those bends but I had a
great time. We followed a Caribinieri car for a while which was fun;
I'm not sure how hard he was trying but he seemed to be.

Not too many opportunities for overtaking, as you must know, so they
have to be taken when they appear and I'm not sure Lyn enjoyed it as
much as I did...

http://www.last.fm/group/ukrm
Champ
2008-07-01 15:18:11 UTC
Post by b***@googlemail.com
[...]
Fuck but there's some amazing roads in thet part of France! Glad you
enjoyed it.
--
Champ
What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger
neal at champ dot org dot uk
b***@googlemail.com
2008-07-01 15:48:24 UTC
Post by Champ
Post by b***@googlemail.com
Tuesday: Angouleme to Montpelier via Millau.
The street cleaners and bin emptiers started at 5 so I woke up
sweating and could not get back to sleep. Typical Etap continental
breakfast was had and we headed out.
Through Brantome and Perigeux then the highlight of the day was to be
the Race Track Road,
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=9929037605002406614,4...
D45 and D47 to Les Eyzies de Tayac Sireuil and Sarlat la Caneda. I
mentioned this last time I went and it was as good as before,
fantastic road surface, sweeping corners with great visibility. Lunch
in Sarlat was good as usual. Via Figeac, near Rodez and then off to
Millau
Fuck but there's some amazing roads in thet part of France! Glad you
enjoyed it.
Oh yes, superb!

Here is a link to some photos of the trip.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=48071&l=56913&id=545154923
Bear
2008-07-01 16:07:58 UTC
In article <7933a484-179f-458d-81e4-a1c51522536b@
27g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>, says...
Post by b***@googlemail.com
Oh yes, superb!
Here is a link to some photos of the trip.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=48071&l=56913&id=545154923
I actually got a moment of nostalgia, seeing my bike on tour again :)
--
Bear
2002 Yamaha R1
Saab Aero Sport
Cane
Me too ;-)
Cane
"The Mens Health cover model search strikes gold!"
b***@googlemail.com
2008-07-02 08:38:34 UTC
Post by Cane
Post by b***@googlemail.com
Post by Champ
Fuck but there's some amazing roads in thet part of France! Glad you
enjoyed it.
Oh yes, superb!
Here is a link to some photos of the trip.http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=48071&l=56913&id=545154923
"The Mens Health cover model search strikes gold!"
I think the Mono Ab (or one pack) will be making a big comeback this
year.
fluffycat
2008-07-02 11:18:07 UTC
Post by b***@googlemail.com
Here is a link to some photos of the trip.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=48071&l=56913&id=545154923
you went past and didn't even wave!

*sulks*

lovely pics, though
fluffycat
b***@googlemail.com
2008-07-02 13:15:01 UTC
Post by fluffycat
Post by b***@googlemail.com
Here is a link to some photos of the trip.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=48071&l=56913&id=545154923
you went past and didn't even wave!
*sulks*
lovely pics, though
--
fluffycat
I waved at every bike and every car driver who moved over, also every
child and woman at the side of the road!
Where are you near? I will be going back next year, promise. You could
show us some good roads.
I will also be down near Royan at the end of this month, for a family
camping holiday.
fluffycat
2008-07-02 15:05:28 UTC
Post by b***@googlemail.com
I will also be down near Royan at the end of this month, for a family
camping holiday.
i'm less than 20 miles south of Royan and inland a couple of miles. my
favourite beach is St Georges de Didonne.
fluffycat
b***@googlemail.com
2008-07-03 12:47:19 UTC
Post by fluffycat
Post by b***@googlemail.com
I will also be down near Royan at the end of this month, for a family
camping holiday.
i'm less than 20 miles south of Royan and inland a couple of miles. my
favourite beach is St Georges de Didonne.
I will make a point of visiting that beach then, what makes it your
favourite?
fluffycat
2008-07-04 15:10:59 UTC
Post by b***@googlemail.com
Post by fluffycat
i'm less than 20 miles south of Royan and inland a couple of miles. my
favourite beach is St Georges de Didonne.
I will make a point of visiting that beach then, what makes it your
favourite?
long, sandy, and wheelchair-accessible. trees. and at the north end and
round the corner there are lovely tiny coves with rockpools and caves.
it's not as garish, loud, and touristy as Royan, and most of the time
not crowded. some of the small beaches around Meschers are very pretty,
but not so accessible.
fluffycat
b***@googlemail.com
2008-07-06 08:03:11 UTC
Post by fluffycat
Post by b***@googlemail.com
Post by fluffycat
i'm less than 20 miles south of Royan and inland a couple of miles. my
favourite beach is St Georges de Didonne.
I will make a point of visiting that beach then, what makes it your
favourite?
long, sandy, and wheelchair-accessible. trees. and at the north end and
round the corner there are lovely tiny coves with rockpools and caves.
it's not as garish, loud, and touristy as Royan, and most of the time
not crowded. some of the small beaches around Meschers are very pretty,
but not so accessible.
Thanks for that, I will go down there and have a look. The beaches
North of Royan are wide and open with no shade or interesting rock
pools. Looking forward to it.
Ace
2008-07-01 16:02:34 UTC
Post by Champ
Post by b***@googlemail.com
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=9929037605002406614,45.040597,0.866717&saddr=D45+%4045.040597,+0.866717&daddr=44.899667,1.211575&mra=mi&mrsp=1,0&sz=17&sll=44.89988,1.210846&sspn=0.005783,0.013647&ie=UTF8&ll=44.97179,1.039145&spn=0.184835,0.436707&z=12
Looks most excellent. Don't think I've done that particular bit,
but...
Post by Champ
Fuck but there's some amazing roads in thet part of France! Glad you
enjoyed it.
Aren't there just? The trip we did after Howard's 50th will always
remain my best ever road trip. Fucking superb.
--
_______
.'_/_|_\_'. Ace (b.rogers at ifrance.com)
`
Champ
2008-07-01 16:47:37 UTC
Post by Ace
Post by Champ
Fuck but there's some amazing roads in thet part of France! Glad you
enjoyed it.
Aren't there just? The trip we did after Howard's 50th will always
remain my best ever road trip. Fucking superb.
I agree - probably my best ever road trip too.

I guess you may have had a similar sensation, but following my
accident I've been forced to think about things I'll never do again.
Most obvious was 'race on the TT course', but alongside it there are
some potential others, like 'do a big off-piste heli-boarding trip',
and, perhaps 'spend a week riding across France with some mates'.

Bugger - now I've started there's loads! Like 'fuck a gorgeous 25
year old'!

<depressed>
neal at champ dot org dot uk
Cane
www.puntern.......
Champ
2008-07-01 17:32:07 UTC
Post by Cane
Post by Champ
I guess you may have had a similar sensation, but following my
accident I've been forced to think about things I'll never do again.
Most obvious was 'race on the TT course', but alongside it there are
some potential others, like 'do a big off-piste heli-boarding trip',
and, perhaps 'spend a week riding across France with some mates'.
Bugger -  now I've started there's loads!  Like 'fuck a gorgeous 25
year old'!
www.puntern.......
I was considering a pair for my 45th birthday, but they never answered
the phone.
neal at champ dot org dot uk
Ace
2008-07-01 19:48:49 UTC
Post by Champ
Post by Ace
Post by Champ
Fuck but there's some amazing roads in thet part of France! Glad you
enjoyed it.
Aren't there just? The trip we did after Howard's 50th will always
remain my best ever road trip. Fucking superb.
I agree - probably my best ever road trip too.
I guess you may have had a similar sensation, but following my
accident I've been forced to think about things I'll never do again.
Most obvious was 'race on the TT course', but alongside it there are
some potential others, like 'do a big off-piste heli-boarding trip',
Fuck that, of course you will. I probably did more serious off-piste
this season than, err, well, some. Certainly did quite a bit. Still
not fit, but I managed to up my grading to Gold on-piste when I did
the skiclub reps' refresher in April. off-piste was unchanged at
purple/gold, which (I checked) was only because of my lack of fitness.
Next year I'll probably do it again (Jude missed it this year due to a
snapped ACL, and it;s a good laugh) and I really want to get double
Gold.
Post by Champ
and, perhaps 'spend a week riding across France with some mates'.
That's the price, I guess. I made my choice while I was lying in
intensive care, and I'm happy with that choice.
Post by Champ
Bugger - now I've started there's loads! Like 'fuck a gorgeous 25
year old'!
Again?
Post by Champ
<depressed>
Really? Oh, get over it, you'll just go on to better appreciate the
good things you still get to do.
Post by Champ
--
Champ
What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger
Ha! ha. ha.ha. Ouch.
--
_______
.'_/_|_\_'. Ace (b.rogers at ifrance.com)
`
Champ
2008-07-01 22:13:17 UTC
Post by Ace
Post by Champ
I guess you may have had a similar sensation, but following my
accident I've been forced to think about things I'll never do again.
Most obvious was 'race on the TT course', but alongside it there are
some potential others, like 'do a big off-piste heli-boarding trip',
Fuck that, of course you will. I probably did more serious off-piste
this season than, err, well, some. Certainly did quite a bit. Still
not fit, but I managed to up my grading to Gold on-piste when I did
the skiclub reps' refresher in April. off-piste was unchanged at
purple/gold, which (I checked) was only because of my lack of fitness.
Next year I'll probably do it again (Jude missed it this year due to a
snapped ACL, and it;s a good laugh) and I really want to get double
Gold.
I'm sure I'll be back on a board, and doing some good interesting
stuff. But I was talking about something like the (v expensive) heli
week I did in Russia - I'm not sure I'll be in a position (money,
time, fitness, comittment) to do something like that again.
neal at champ dot org dot uk
Ace
2008-07-01 22:15:32 UTC
Post by Champ
Post by Ace
Post by Champ
[...]
Sure you will. Stop making with the negative waves, moriarty!
--
_______
.'_/_|_\_'. Ace (b.rogers at ifrance.com)
`
Switters
2008-07-02 12:30:16 UTC
Post by Champ
But I was talking about something like the (v expensive) heli
week I did in Russia - I'm not sure I'll be in a position (money,
time, fitness, comittment) to do something like that again.
Pah, fitness had nothing to do with that trip. I didn't do any
preparation for it. Unlike the Mt Blanc trip, where I trained my ass off
for 2 months before hand.
Ace
2008-07-02 13:33:48 UTC
Post by Switters
Post by Champ
But I was talking about something like the (v expensive) heli
week I did in Russia - I'm not sure I'll be in a position (money,
time, fitness, comittment) to do something like that again.
Pah, fitness had nothing to do with that trip. I didn't do any
preparation for it. Unlike the Mt Blanc trip, where I trained my ass off
for 2 months before hand.
I've struggled with fitness all this last season, such that I just
couldn't do a whole day of full-on off-piste at a normal pace. All the
work I did, including 50+ days of skiing, still hasn't got me anywhere
near my previous fitness level.

I did cycle the 25km into work one day last week, which was OK in the
morning, but with a net rise of ~75m the ride home nearly crippled me.
It was ~30C and I ran out of water, which didn't help, but my body was
simply unable to deliver energy after a certain point. I'll be trying
again next week.
--
_______
.'_/_|_\_'. Ace (b.rogers at ifrance.com)
`
Champ
2008-07-02 17:25:15 UTC
Post by Switters
Post by Champ
But I was talking about something like the (v expensive) heli
week I did in Russia - I'm not sure I'll be in a position (money,
time, fitness, comittment) to do something like that again.
Pah, fitness had nothing to do with that trip.
Said the bloke who spent the best day ill in bed :-)

But you're right - my point was more that you did need a certain base
level of fitness to enjoy it.
Post by Switters
I didn't do any
preparation for it. Unlike the Mt Blanc trip, where I trained my ass off
for 2 months before hand.
Bet you're glad you did.
--
Champ

ZX10R | GPz750turbo | GSX-R 600 racer
My advice as your attorney is to buy a motorcycle
To email me, neal at my domain should work.
Switters
2008-07-03 12:19:42 UTC
Post by Champ
Post by Switters
Pah, fitness had nothing to do with that trip.
Said the bloke who spent the best day ill in bed :-)
<sobs at the memory>
Without a doubt.
Bear
2008-07-01 21:30:55 UTC
Like 'fuck a gorgeous 25 year old'!
That actually gets easier once you're into your 40s.

Seriously.
<depressed>
No need to be. It's all good. Well ok, it's mostly good.
--
Bear
2002 Yamaha R1
Saab Aero Sport
Lozzo
2008-07-01 21:39:53 UTC
Post by Bear
Like 'fuck a gorgeous 25 year old'!
That actually gets easier once you're into your 40s.
Agreed
Lozzo
Champ
2008-07-01 22:13:25 UTC
Post by Bear
Like 'fuck a gorgeous 25 year old'!
That actually gets easier once you're into your 40s.
Seriously.
As a 40th birthday present, god gave me three 28 year-olds in the
space of 6 months. I think I probably used up my quota.
neal at champ dot org dot uk
Bear
2008-07-01 23:24:02 UTC
Post by Champ
Post by Bear
Like 'fuck a gorgeous 25 year old'!
That actually gets easier once you're into your 40s.
Seriously.
As a 40th birthday present, god gave me three 28 year-olds in the
space of 6 months. I think I probably used up my quota.
There's a quota?

<checks overdraft hurriedly>
--
Bear
2002 Yamaha R1
Saab Aero Sport
darsy
2008-07-02 09:01:58 UTC
Post by Bear
Post by Champ
As a 40th birthday present, god gave me three 28 year-olds in the
space of 6 months. I think I probably used up my quota.
There's a quota?
<checks overdraft hurriedly>
I don't think it's a single-lifespan quota. To make up for it you'll
probably spend the majority of your next life being buggered by
priests or something.

d.
Bear
2008-07-02 09:13:06 UTC
In article <5263c2ef-fe8b-4c1c-8169-ff297e97c6f1
@i76g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>, darsy says...
Post by darsy
Post by Bear
Post by Champ
As a 40th birthday present, god gave me three 28 year-olds in the
space of 6 months. I think I probably used up my quota.
There's a quota?
<checks overdraft hurriedly>
I don't think it's a single-lifespan quota. To make up for it you'll
probably spend the majority of your next life being buggered by
priests or something.
I never realised you subscribed to the reincarnation theory.
--
Bear
2002 Yamaha R1
Saab Aero Sport
Pip
2008-07-02 09:14:22 UTC
Post by darsy
Post by Bear
Post by Champ
As a 40th birthday present, god gave me three 28 year-olds in the
space of 6 months. I think I probably used up my quota.
There's a quota?
<checks overdraft hurriedly>
I don't think it's a single-lifespan quota. To make up for it you'll
probably spend the majority of your next life being buggered by
priests or something.
I never realised you subscribed to the reincarnation theory.
How do you think he knows and why do you think he walks that way?
--
Pip: B12
Vile bike for sale:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=130233887427
b***@googlemail.com
2008-07-02 08:01:50 UTC
Post by Ace
Post by Champ
Fuck but there's some amazing roads in thet part of France! Glad you
enjoyed it.
Aren't there just? The trip we did after Howard's 50th will always
remain my best ever road trip. Fucking superb.
It was Gregs 50th birthday just before we left and he commented how
this is one he will remember fondly for a long time, in amongst the
other birthdays which you just forget due to family and work
commitments taking over.

We will go back and spend more time in the Massif Central next year.
Thats where some of the best roads were.
Beelzebub
2008-07-01 19:33:50 UTC
RUFUS!! How the devil are you?
b***@googlemail.com
2008-07-02 07:56:29 UTC
Post by Beelzebub
Post by b***@googlemail.com
Here I am back from another great France trip. Bikes: zx9r, ZZR1100,
XJR1300, Sv1000S, GSXR750, CBR600.
Short version: I went to France - it was great.
RUFUS!! How the devil are you?
Hey, not too bad, how about you? I have moved on and work in
Gloucester now, I did not want to relocate and the morale had hit the
floor with customers and us support folk. It was getting me down. Its
all good now though. I had a tour round your big new building before I
left, wow the views from the top floor were great. Will you be moving
in there?
Beelzebub
2008-07-02 18:02:29 UTC
Post by b***@googlemail.com
Post by Beelzebub
Post by b***@googlemail.com
Here I am back from another great France trip. Bikes: zx9r, ZZR1100,
XJR1300, Sv1000S, GSXR750, CBR600.
Short version: I went to France - it was great.
RUFUS!! How the devil are you?
Hey, not too bad, how about you? I have moved on and work in
Gloucester now, I did not want to relocate and the morale had hit the
floor with customers and us support folk. It was getting me down. Its
all good now though. I had a tour round your big new building before I
left, wow the views from the top floor were great. Will you be moving
in there?
Heh, I think there's the grand total of one so far that are relocating from
there to here.

The new build does look less like an NCP car park now and I think the first
lot are moving in about Oct or so. I am very likely to be moving depts in
Oct for career reasons and the new dept is moving in, so yep. Not been round
it, but I imagine it's extremely open plan, which I don't fancy much.
b***@googlemail.com
2008-07-03 12:45:13 UTC
Post by Beelzebub
Post by b***@googlemail.com
Post by b***@googlemail.com
I had a tour round your big new building before I
left, wow the views from the top floor were great. Will you be moving
in there?
Heh, I think there's the grand total of one so far that are relocating from
there to here.
The new build does look less like an NCP car park now and I think the first
lot are moving in about Oct or so. I am very likely to be moving depts in
Oct for career reasons and the new dept is moving in, so yep. Not been round
it, but I imagine it's extremely open plan, which I don't fancy much.
Oh dear, lots of unhappy folk there then. Good luck on your move in
Oct. It is very open plan but bear in mind they only just put windows
in when I was there so some internal walls may be put in. I doubt it
though!