OT: Travelling to India - which is the best visa office?
Christofire
2006-11-01 20:17:07 UTC
I know some of UKRM have been to India, so I call on your knowledge of
the visa offices. Which is the best one out of Birmingham and London?

By best, I mean quickest/most efficient/least painful office to deal
with for the in-person, same day, stand in lines method of getting a
visa. Will I still be there by lunch? By mid afternoon? By midnight?

Finally, is it worth going the night before to get there *early* the
following morning? This option has been mentioned in passing, and I'm
planning to get the thing next week.

Ta.
Wicked Uncle Nigel
2006-11-01 20:31:22 UTC
Using the patented Mavis Beacon "Hunt&Peck" Technique, Christofire
Post by Christofire
I know some of UKRM have been to India, so I call on your knowledge of
the visa offices. Which is the best one out of Birmingham and London?
By best, I mean quickest/most efficient/least painful office to deal
with for the in-person, same day, stand in lines method of getting a
visa. Will I still be there by lunch? By mid afternoon? By midnight?
Finally, is it worth going the night before to get there *early* the
following morning? This option has been mentioned in passing, and I'm
planning to get the thing next week.
Pay one of the visa agencies. Just do. The Indian visa office in London
is a fucking nightmare, you have to get there early to get a number, and
then you get to sit around for most of the day waiting.

It's a pretty good intro to Indian bureaucracy, mind...

Get a multiple-entry visa too. It's not much more expensive, but it'll
save going back to the office if you need to return.
--
Wicked Uncle Nigel - Podium Placed Ducati Race Engineer as featured in
Performance Bikes and Fast Bikes

WS* GHPOTHUF#24 APOSTLE#14 DLC#1 COFF#20 BOTAFOT#150 HYPO#0(KoTL) IbW#41
SBS#39 OMF#6 Enfield 500 Curry House Racer "The Basmati Rice Burner",
Honda GL1000K2 (On its hols) Kawasaki ZN1300 Voyager "Oh, Oh, It's so big"
Suzuki TS250 "The Africa Single" Yamaha Vmax Honda ST1100 wiv trailer
Christofire
2006-11-01 20:47:23 UTC
Post by Wicked Uncle Nigel
Pay one of the visa agencies. Just do. The Indian visa office in London
is a fucking nightmare, you have to get there early to get a number, and
then you get to sit around for most of the day waiting.
Looking at it, that'll still be cheaper than me doing it, and I'll not
have to faff around. I think I'll float that idea tomorrow. Have you
used one? Any recommends? I'll need to find out which office they'll be
using too.
Post by Wicked Uncle Nigel
It's a pretty good intro to Indian bureaucracy, mind...
Ah.
<plans ahead>
Wicked Uncle Nigel
2006-11-01 21:12:27 UTC
Post by Christofire
Post by Wicked Uncle Nigel
Pay one of the visa agencies. Just do. The Indian visa office in London
is a fucking nightmare, you have to get there early to get a number, and
then you get to sit around for most of the day waiting.
Looking at it, that'll still be cheaper than me doing it, and I'll not
have to faff around. I think I'll float that idea tomorrow. Have you
used one? Any recommends? I'll need to find out which office they'll be
using too.
I just chuck my passport at our company travel agency these days, they
sort it. Pretty much any decent travel agent should be able to do it for
you.

Christofire
2006-11-01 21:16:24 UTC
Post by Wicked Uncle Nigel
I just chuck my passport at our company travel agency these days, they
sort it. Pretty much any decent travel agent should be able to do it for
you.
Therein lies a problem. I'm working in London this week, and that'll
leave me with two weeks to get it sorted. I'll ask about tomorrow,
failing that a look through the agencies to see which is reputable (or
at least unlikely to lose/steal my passport).
Wicked Uncle Nigel
2006-11-01 21:22:07 UTC
Post by Christofire
Post by Wicked Uncle Nigel
I just chuck my passport at our company travel agency these days, they
sort it. Pretty much any decent travel agent should be able to do it for
you.
Therein lies a problem. I'm working in London this week, and that'll
leave me with two weeks to get it sorted. I'll ask about tomorrow,
failing that a look through the agencies to see which is reputable (or
at least unlikely to lose/steal my passport).
The agency *should* be able to turn it round in a couple of days. Maybe
a little more if you live in the frozen North.

ginge
2006-11-02 18:26:19 UTC
In article <***@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
Christofire says...
Post by Christofire
Post by Wicked Uncle Nigel
Pay one of the visa agencies. Just do. The Indian visa office in London
is a fucking nightmare, you have to get there early to get a number, and
then you get to sit around for most of the day waiting.
Looking at it, that'll still be cheaper than me doing it, and I'll not
have to faff around. I think I'll float that idea tomorrow. Have you
used one? Any recommends? I'll need to find out which office they'll be
using too.
I got ammerican express passport services to sort mine out. As nigel
says, get a multiple entry one... 12 months..

And, remember to pack some snacky food you know won't disagree with you,
for when you get the shits.
BGN
2006-11-02 18:34:38 UTC
On Thu, 2 Nov 2006 18:26:19 -0000, ginge
Post by ginge
Post by Christofire
Post by Wicked Uncle Nigel
Pay one of the visa agencies. Just do. The Indian visa office in London
is a fucking nightmare, you have to get there early to get a number, and
then you get to sit around for most of the day waiting.
Looking at it, that'll still be cheaper than me doing it, and I'll not
have to faff around. I think I'll float that idea tomorrow. Have you
used one? Any recommends? I'll need to find out which office they'll be
using too.
I got ammerican express passport services to sort mine out. As nigel
says, get a multiple entry one... 12 months..
And, remember to pack some snacky food you know won't disagree with you,
for when you get the shits.
And he *will* get the shits. But as everyone in India has the shits
it's quite a talking point and where the British would talk about
their dark and windy climate Indians talk about their shits and what
it looked like, smell, size, consistency...

Oh, India.
--
-- Nick ICQ: 9235201 EMAIL & MSN: ***@spamcop.net
-- LOTR#4 SKOGA#8 DS#7 BOTAFOT#159 BOTM#2 FBOTY#06 PM#11
-- Suzuki GSF600n - www.bgn.me.uk You set my soul alight
Halla
2006-11-08 12:55:30 UTC
Post by ginge
Post by Christofire
Post by Wicked Uncle Nigel
[...]
Heh, just read this. Shit, or at least shitters, are also a big
feature in the Indian books I've read. There's usually at least one
mention per book from those who have emigrated about how no one in the
West provides water for washing after having a shit.

Thus endeth today's irrelevent factoid about Indian shit.
+.com (A.Lee)
2006-11-01 20:31:59 UTC
Post by Christofire
I know some of UKRM have been to India, so I call on your knowledge of
the visa offices. Which is the best one out of Birmingham and London?
By best, I mean quickest/most efficient/least painful office to deal
with for the in-person, same day, stand in lines method of getting a
visa. Will I still be there by lunch? By mid afternoon? By midnight?
Where are you?
If it is for a tourist Visa, then there is a travel agency in Leicester
who will do it, no queueing, just walk in and ask for a Visa.
My parents went last year.
Alan.
Christofire
Business. I don't think that counts as tourist, unfortunately.
BGN
2006-11-01 21:28:59 UTC
Post by Christofire
I know some of UKRM have been to India, so I call on your knowledge of
the visa offices. Which is the best one out of Birmingham and London?
By best, I mean quickest/most efficient/least painful office to deal
with for the in-person, same day, stand in lines method of getting a
visa. Will I still be there by lunch? By mid afternoon? By midnight?
Finally, is it worth going the night before to get there *early* the
following morning? This option has been mentioned in passing, and I'm
planning to get the thing next week.
I'm good with the Indian embassy - don't go there on a Wednesday as
they're closed to the Great Unwashed sorting out visas for My Beloved
Employer(tm).

If you don't need it today then you might as well pay a reputable
agency to get your visa for you. It won't be cheap, but neither is a
day of your life.

Also, if it's for business purposes then surely your bloody employer
will pay for it to be done via their preferred Visa service.

The cost of a single entry Business visa is £30 (six months). £50 for
one year, £90 for two. Depending on which area of India you're going
to you might have to pay an extra £20 for a different visa permit.

If you're likely to go there a few times then I would suggest shelling
out the £90. The agency fee will be cashibo on top.

You're going to need to fill in this form (or the '06 version) which
I've stuck on my website: <http://www.bgn.me.uk/indianvisa.doc> Fill
it in exactly as it says. FILL IT IN WITH A BLACK PEN AND IN BLOCK
CAPITALS - You need to fill in everything it asks. And above all else
please remember: You're speaking to a government agency - they don't
have to provide customer service and if they don't like you they'll
tell you to fuck off. Also: You need TWO identical photos of yourself
(light background) to be attached to the form plus two referees in
England and two in India.
TelfordLive
2006-11-01 21:41:00 UTC
snipped trials of Hercules
Bloody hell. Is it that hard to get into the UK from India?

--
Andy
GL1200
Your bike on a shirt or fleece jacket
BGN
2006-11-02 06:43:41 UTC
Post by TelfordLive
snipped trials of Hercules
Bloody hell. Is it that hard to get into the UK from India?
You should try to get into Russia.
Cab
2006-11-02 08:12:31 UTC
Post by BGN
Post by TelfordLive
snipped trials of Hercules
Bloody hell. Is it that hard to get into the UK from India?
You should try to get into Russia.
Sod that. Try getting into Saudi as a businessman (I don't know what
it's like going for religous purposes).
--
Cab :^) - argue's like a girl
GSX 1400
The gingeometer: http://www.rosbif.org/ukrm/gingeometer/
Champ
2006-11-02 09:26:39 UTC
Post by BGN
Post by TelfordLive
snipped trials of Hercules
Bloody hell. Is it that hard to get into the UK from India?
You should try to get into Russia.
I found it easy enough, tho trying to do it without using a visa
company might be difficult.
--
Champ

ZX10R
GPz750turbo
Christofire
2006-11-02 21:50:21 UTC
Post by Champ
Post by BGN
Post by TelfordLive
snipped trials of Hercules
Bloody hell. Is it that hard to get into the UK from India?
You should try to get into Russia.
I found it easy enough, tho trying to do it without using a visa
company might be difficult.
There's a few problems with the suggestions so far, and this seems as
good a point to respond as any.

The standard practice for us is to go in person. Agencies have been
involved twice, and both times have been disastrous (lost passport,
massive delay meaning jobs needed to be put back). As such, the agency
option is now frowned upon. Couple that with the need to be available
to be sent overseas between now and the job itself means that being
without passport isn't a desirable option either.

I think I'll plump for the birmingham option as it's closer, hopefully
involves less trains.
Wicked Uncle Nigel
2006-11-02 22:12:38 UTC
Post by Christofire
The standard practice for us is to go in person. Agencies have been
involved twice, and both times have been disastrous (lost passport,
massive delay meaning jobs needed to be put back).
Use a less pikey agency.
Post by Christofire
I think I'll plump for the birmingham option as it's closer, hopefully
involves less trains.
"Fewer". Visa application denied. NEXT!

You'll love the Indian Visa Office experience. It'll inure you to the
phrase that travellers to India come to dread: "Inconvenience is
regretted" (they don't really mean it, by the way).

Take a good book. In fact, take several.

Have a *great* day, y'hear?

ginge
2006-11-02 22:25:44 UTC
In article <***@rcav8r.demon.co.uk>, Wicked Uncle Nigel
says...
They do mean it, they just don't say on whose side the regret occurs.
BGN
2006-11-03 06:50:45 UTC
Post by Christofire
Post by Champ
Post by BGN
Post by TelfordLive
snipped trials of Hercules
Bloody hell. Is it that hard to get into the UK from India?
You should try to get into Russia.
I found it easy enough, tho trying to do it without using a visa
company might be difficult.
There's a few problems with the suggestions so far, and this seems as
good a point to respond as any.
The standard practice for us is to go in person.
That's shit. Your company obviously do not value your time and
productivity as it should.
Post by Christofire
...Agencies have been
involved twice, and both times have been disastrous (lost passport,
massive delay meaning jobs needed to be put back). As such, the agency
option is now frowned upon.
WTF have you been using as your agency before? I could suggest a
proper agency to use if you like. We trust them with over 250,000
passports a year and not one has ever been lost or delayed.

Also: Fill in the forms and send the passport and form into the agency
with a gimp attached to it. You don't have to be there in person to
get the visa, but a body does - BUT IF YOU INSIST ON MAKING THE WHOLE
SITUATION WORSE THAN IT NEEDS TO BE THEN YOU'RE MOST WELCOME.

Make sure you're at the embassy at 4am as they only permit a certain
number of peeps through (Opening hours 9am - 12pm) otherwise you'll
have to come back the next day, and the next day...
Post by Christofire
...Couple that with the need to be available
to be sent overseas between now and the job itself means that being
without passport isn't a desirable option either.
Sounds like you're got an excellent case. Send your other passport to
the agency.
BGN
2006-11-03 17:36:55 UTC
Post by Christofire
I think I'll plump for the birmingham option as it's closer, hopefully
involves less trains.
I emailed you (***@ukrm.org) earlier on today with a few options.

Please let me know if I should direct the mail elsewhere.
Christofire
2006-11-05 17:21:02 UTC
Post by BGN
Post by Christofire
I think I'll plump for the birmingham option as it's closer,
hopefully involves less trains.
Please let me know if I should direct the mail elsewhere.
No, that one works. Thanks for the info.
--
Christofire DIAABTCOD#1 ZX-10R
www.liveforspeed.net
d***@burnt.org.uk
2006-11-03 22:46:12 UTC
Post by BGN
Post by TelfordLive
snipped trials of Hercules
Bloody hell. Is it that hard to get into the UK from India?
You should try to get into Russia.
I had to queue from 6:00 to 9:00 when the embassy opened and then
another hour or two inside the embassy to get to the counter.

Never again; use a courier.

Mind you, it was worth it 'cos St Petersburg is one of the best places
I've been.
Whinging Courier
2006-11-04 07:41:13 UTC
Post by d***@burnt.org.uk
Post by BGN
Post by TelfordLive
snipped trials of Hercules
Bloody hell. Is it that hard to get into the UK from India?
You should try to get into Russia.
I had to queue from 6:00 to 9:00 when the embassy opened and then
another hour or two inside the embassy to get to the counter.
You queued on the Bayswater Road[1]?
Post by d***@burnt.org.uk
Never again; use a courier.
Heh and when the clock reaches midday, that's it; whether you've got
your PP or not the cunts[2] slam the windows shut and you have to fuck
off, sharpish.
Post by d***@burnt.org.uk
Mind you, it was worth it 'cos St Petersburg is one of the best places
I've been.
[1] Only the queue at the Chinese embassy is longer, ime.

[2] They're all a right bunch of ugly miserable bitches in there, too.
Not one looker amoungst them[3]

[3] At least there never used to be.
--
CBR1000 GS450 XT660X
BOMB#14 ibW#40 LotR#0 BOTAFOT#157 BotM#3
BGN
2006-11-04 07:50:47 UTC
Post by d***@burnt.org.uk
Post by BGN
Post by TelfordLive
snipped trials of Hercules
Bloody hell. Is it that hard to get into the UK from India?
You should try to get into Russia.
I had to queue from 6:00 to 9:00 when the embassy opened and then
another hour or two inside the embassy to get to the counter.
Never again; use a courier.
The current wait for an agency to get a visa is 40 working days.
Andy Bonwick
2006-11-10 12:29:42 UTC
Post by BGN
Post by TelfordLive
snipped trials of Hercules
Bloody hell. Is it that hard to get into the UK from India?
You should try to get into Russia.
Easy enough if it's a work pemit/visa you want and the company you'll
be working for has some clout.
porl
2006-11-02 06:53:42 UTC
Not if you bring your nan with you.
Cab
porl
You fucking love it!
raden
2006-11-02 21:34:25 UTC
Post by porl
Post by TelfordLive
snipped trials of Hercules
Bloody hell. Is it that hard to get into the UK from India?
Not if you bring your nan with you.
Not well bred, are you ?
geoff
The Older Gentleman
2006-11-02 07:19:45 UTC
Post by TelfordLive
snipped trials of Hercules
Bloody hell. Is it that hard to get into the UK from India?
Not if you hide in a lorry.
--
BMW K1100LT 750SS CB400F CD250 Z650
GAGARPHOF#30 GHPOTHUF#1 BOTAFOT#60 ANORAK#06 YTC#3
BOF#30 WUSS#5 The bells, the bells.....
prawn
2006-11-07 13:26:57 UTC
Post by BGN
Post by Christofire
[...]
Coo. Ta. It appears that I am off to India in the new year for a
couple of weeks. I'll get my lot to sort out the visa, I think.
BGN
2006-11-07 17:47:28 UTC
Post by prawn
Coo. Ta. It appears that I am off to India in the new year for a
couple of weeks. I'll get my lot to sort out the visa, I think.
Get it sorted ASAP, but check the validity as you don't want it to
expire while you're out there. They're valid from the moment they're
stamped.
prawn
2006-11-08 11:03:15 UTC
Post by BGN
Post by prawn
Coo. Ta. It appears that I am off to India in the new year for a
couple of weeks. I'll get my lot to sort out the visa, I think.
Get it sorted ASAP, but check the validity as you don't want it to
expire while you're out there. They're valid from the moment they're
stamped.
Noted. Oddly, the company that I am working has been taken over by an
Indian company. So, I'll be going to Head Office :-)
Adrian
PLEASE tell me this is for www.rickshawrun.com
raden
2006-11-01 22:57:10 UTC
Post by Adrian
Post by Christofire
I know some of UKRM have been to India, so I call on your knowledge of
the visa offices. Which is the best one out of Birmingham and London?
By best, I mean quickest/most efficient/least painful office to deal
with for the in-person, same day, stand in lines method of getting a
visa. Will I still be there by lunch? By mid afternoon? By midnight?
Finally, is it worth going the night before to get there *early* the
following morning? This option has been mentioned in passing, and I'm
planning to get the thing next week.
PLEASE tell me this is for www.rickshawrun.com
Bah - you could do that in Watford

Can't move for becaks now (well there are two of them - in T-mobile
pink)
geoff
vulgarandmischevious
2006-11-01 23:16:34 UTC
Post by Christofire
I know some of UKRM have been to India, so I call on your knowledge of
the visa offices. Which is the best one out of Birmingham and London?
I haven't been to India, but when I needed a visa for China
(notoriously difficult to arrange) I used Trailfinders Visa Service,
which wasn't too expensive. I hadn't even booked my travel through
them (did that direct on BA.com)
Jim Burrows
2006-11-03 16:47:21 UTC
Post by Christofire
I know some of UKRM have been to India, so I call on your knowledge of
the visa offices. Which is the best one out of Birmingham and London?
I was at the HCI in London a couple of Thursdays ago to get my visa
for my Hols - arrived at 09:10 - left at 10:50 - bit boring, but it
wasn't too bad - you can download the forms from the HCI web site and
also get more info from

http://www.hcilondon.net/visa/

Jim
raden
2006-11-04 20:54:09 UTC
Post by Jim Burrows
Post by Christofire
I know some of UKRM have been to India, so I call on your knowledge of
the visa offices. Which is the best one out of Birmingham and London?
I was at the HCI in London a couple of Thursdays ago to get my visa
for my Hols - arrived at 09:10 - left at 10:50 - bit boring, but it
wasn't too bad - you can download the forms from the HCI web site and
also get more info from
http://www.hcilondon.net/visa/
Of course, once you get there, it's the best place to get visas for any
other country

or was last time I was there
geoff
Christofire
2006-11-05 17:32:45 UTC
Post by Jim Burrows
Post by Christofire
I know some of UKRM have been to India, so I call on your knowledge
of the visa offices. Which is the best one out of Birmingham and
London?
I was at the HCI in London a couple of Thursdays ago to get my visa
for my Hols - arrived at 09:10 - left at 10:50 - bit boring, but it
wasn't too bad - you can download the forms from the HCI web site and
also get more info from
http://www.hcilondon.net/visa/
Jim
A ray of sunshine - thanks Jim.
--
Christofire DIAABTCOD#1 ZX-10R
www.liveforspeed.net
Christofire
2006-11-11 12:55:48 UTC
Post by Christofire
Post by Jim Burrows
Post by Christofire
I know some of UKRM have been to India, so I call on your
knowledge of the visa offices. Which is the best one out of
Birmingham and London?
I was at the HCI in London a couple of Thursdays ago to get my visa
for my Hols - arrived at 09:10 - left at 10:50 - bit boring, but it
wasn't too bad - you can download the forms from the HCI web site
and also get more info from
http://www.hcilondon.net/visa/
Jim
A ray of sunshine - thanks Jim.
Well, I filled out the form, got my photos, got my letters, had a beery
night in London with a mate and got to the place at about 9am. Joined
queue, made friends with a nice chap from accenture[1], got number,
waited for number to come up, handed over bundle of paper and some
cash. Retired to starbucks for an hour with newfound friend, returned
and got visa.

It wasn't that bad, but without having someone who could hold a decent
conversation I can see it would be quite boring. There's signs up
banning smoking, eating, drinking and mobiles. I only saw them after
breaking three of those rules and if I smoked I'd probably have got all
four.

[1] sorry nick - forgot to get his number as a thank you. He had a TT,
so would've been very eligable.
--
Christofire DIAABTCOD#1 ZX-10R
www.liveforspeed.net
DoetNietComputeren
2006-11-11 13:01:54 UTC
Post by Christofire
got to the place at about 9am. Joined
queue, made friends with a nice chap from accenture[1], got number,
waited for number to come up, handed over bundle of paper and some
cash. Retired to starbucks for an hour with newfound friend, returned
and got visa.
Sounds very similar to when I had to go to get papers to satisfy the
cloggy immigration
Post by Christofire
It wasn't that bad, but without having someone who could hold a decent
conversation I can see it would be quite boring.
It is.
Post by Christofire
[1] sorry nick - forgot to get his number as a thank you. He had a TT,
so would've been very eligable.
That'll be another Nick, I hope.
--
Dnc

B12, ZZR11
A6 2.5TDi V6 Quattro Sport
MIB#26 two#54(soiled) UKRMMA#26 BOTAFOT#153 X-FOT#003
Christofire
2006-11-11 13:11:19 UTC
Post by DoetNietComputeren
Post by Christofire
[1] sorry nick - forgot to get his number as a thank you. He had a
TT, so would've been very eligable.
That'll be another Nick, I hope.
Yes, the big gay one who was pretty helpful over email. Followed his
advice and was in and out, as it were.
--
Christofire DIAABTCOD#1 ZX-10R
www.liveforspeed.net
BGN
2006-11-11 15:14:33 UTC
Post by Christofire
[1] sorry nick - forgot to get his number as a thank you. He had a
TT, so would've been very eligable.
That'll be another Nick, I hope.
Yes, the big gay one who was pretty helpful over email. Followed his
advice and was in and out, as it were.
Shake it all about.