OT: Ecuador/American Airlines/booze smuggling
The Older Gentleman
2006-08-07 20:58:01 UTC
Fuck and triple fuck.

Got to spend next week in Ecuador. Trip paid for by Ecuadorian export
bods. Depart Saturday.

Long-standing (loaded) contact/advertiser in the country says it's a
helluva journey and offers to pay for an upgrade to biz class.

His flight details (London--->Schipol--->Ecuador with KLM) come through
five hours after I have left work for my two week hols. As there was no
answer, it defaulted to the Ecuadorians' arrangements, which are:

London--->New York--->Miami--->Ecuador, cattle class, American Airlines.

I have discovered, to my horror, that AA charges a minimum of $5 for
*all* non-alcoholic drinks in CC. And you even have to pay for your food
on the (four-hour) NY--->Miami leg.

Jesus Fucking Christ. I didn't know airlines existed that charged you
for booze on intercontinental flights.

That whole trip will take nearly 24 hours. I cannot do that without a
goodly supply of alcohol. So: I plan to smuggle on board a Sprite bottle
containing G&T, and a bottle of decent claret. I will order 1 (one)
small bottle of $5 AA catspiss and top my glass up at regular intervals
from my own bottle.

Yes, I know this is against regs. If anyone has a better solution, I'm
sitting here with ears flapping.
--
Trophy 1200 750SS CB400F CD250 Z650
GAGARPHOF#30 GHPOTHUF#1 BOTAFOT#60 ANORAK#06 YTC#3
BOF#30 WUSS#5 The bells, the bells.....
d***@burnt.org.uk
Pay retail prices?
The Older Gentleman
2006-08-07 21:02:42 UTC
Post by d***@burnt.org.uk
Post by The Older Gentleman
That whole trip will take nearly 24 hours. I cannot do that without a
goodly supply of alcohol. So: I plan to smuggle on board a Sprite bottle
containing G&T, and a bottle of decent claret. I will order 1 (one)
small bottle of $5 AA catspiss and top my glass up at regular intervals
from my own bottle.
Yes, I know this is against regs. If anyone has a better solution, I'm
sitting here with ears flapping.
Pay retail prices?
Erm, yes, that's what I'll have paid for my smuggled G&T and claret....
Buzby
2006-08-07 21:53:41 UTC
Post by The Older Gentleman
Post by d***@burnt.org.uk
Post by The Older Gentleman
That whole trip will take nearly 24 hours. I cannot do that without a
goodly supply of alcohol. So: I plan to smuggle on board a Sprite bottle
containing G&T, and a bottle of decent claret. I will order 1 (one)
small bottle of $5 AA catspiss and top my glass up at regular intervals
from my own bottle.
Yes, I know this is against regs. If anyone has a better solution, I'm
sitting here with ears flapping.
Pay retail prices?
Erm, yes, that's what I'll have paid for my smuggled G&T and claret....
Expenses, or is this a freelance jaunt?

Just in case you missed it the first time around

http://www.firebox.com/index.html?dir=firebox&action=product&pid=1388&src_t=sbk&src_id=beerbelly
The Older Gentleman
2006-08-08 06:37:02 UTC
Post by Buzby
Expenses, or is this a freelance jaunt?
Eckies.
Post by Buzby
Just in case you missed it the first time around
http://www.firebox.com/index.html?dir=firebox&action=product&pid=1388&sr
c_t=sbk&src_id=beerbelly

Heh. A gutful of claret and G&Ts.....
YTC#1
2006-08-08 08:08:11 UTC
Post by The Older Gentleman
Post by Buzby
Expenses, or is this a freelance jaunt?
Eckies.
And there is only so much alcohol the tax man will accept :-)
.
--
XJR1300SP, XJ900F, GS550, GSX250, 750SS
POTM#1(KoTL), WUSS#1 , YTC#1(bar), OSOS#2(KoTL) , DS#3 , IbW#18 ,Apostle#8
Get the Software http://wwws.sun.com/software/solaris
SteveH
2006-08-07 21:16:28 UTC
Post by The Older Gentleman
That whole trip will take nearly 24 hours. I cannot do that without a
goodly supply of alcohol. So: I plan to smuggle on board a Sprite bottle
containing G&T, and a bottle of decent claret. I will order 1 (one)
small bottle of $5 AA catspiss and top my glass up at regular intervals
from my own bottle.
Yes, I know this is against regs. If anyone has a better solution, I'm
sitting here with ears flapping.
Get receipts for everything and bung it on expenses.
Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark - B6 Passat 2.0TDI - COSOC KOTL
The Older Gentleman
2006-08-08 06:27:07 UTC
Post by SteveH
Post by The Older Gentleman
That whole trip will take nearly 24 hours. I cannot do that without a
goodly supply of alcohol. So: I plan to smuggle on board a Sprite bottle
containing G&T, and a bottle of decent claret. I will order 1 (one)
small bottle of $5 AA catspiss and top my glass up at regular intervals
from my own bottle.
Yes, I know this is against regs. If anyone has a better solution, I'm
sitting here with ears flapping.
Get receipts for everything and bung it on expenses.
Is the right answer!
platypus
2006-08-07 21:37:16 UTC
Post by The Older Gentleman
[...]
Platypus. YKIMS.
--
platypus

ooh, how I sighed
TimP
2006-08-07 21:50:32 UTC
Post by The Older Gentleman
Yes, I know this is against regs. If anyone has a better solution, I'm
sitting here with ears flapping.
Get some valium. Seriously - about 15mg will make the journey a breeze,
and leave you much more competent the far end than necking a bottle of
whisky.
TimP
Wicked Uncle Nigel
2006-08-07 21:57:57 UTC
Using the patented Mavis Beacon "Hunt&Peck" Technique, The Older
Post by The Older Gentleman
I have discovered, to my horror, that AA charges a minimum of $5 for
*all* non-alcoholic drinks in CC.
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

<frantically checks San Diego tickets>

Oh fuck. Non-refundable.

Ah well, that'll be my last ever American Airlines flight.
--
Wicked Uncle Nigel - Podium Placed Ducati Race Engineer As featured in
Performance Bikes

WS* GHPOTHUF#24 APOSTLE#14 DLC#1 COFF#20 BOTAFOT#150 HYPO#0(KoTL) IbW#41
SBS#39 OMF#6 Enfield 500 Curry House Racer "The Basmati Rice Burner",
Honda GL1000K2 (On its hols) Kawasaki ZN1300 Voyager "Oh, Oh, It's so big"
Suzuki TS250 "The Africa Single" Yamaha Vmax Honda ST1100 wiv trailer
The Older Gentleman
2006-08-08 06:37:03 UTC
Post by The Older Gentleman
I have discovered, to my horror, that AA charges a minimum of $5 for
*all* non-alcoholic drinks in CC.
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?
I know. Incredible, innit?
Post by Wicked Uncle Nigel
<frantically checks San Diego tickets>
Oh fuck. Non-refundable.
Ah well, that'll be my last ever American Airlines flight.
Let's form a mutual support group. I'll raise a glass of my bootleg
booze to you as I cruise down to Miami.
Ace
2006-08-08 07:53:11 UTC
Post by The Older Gentleman
I have discovered, to my horror, that AA charges a minimum of $5 for
*all* non-alcoholic drinks in CC.
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?
I know. Incredible, innit?
Serves you right for going cattle class.
--
_______
.'_/_|_\_'. Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
`
vulgarandmischevious
It might be a codeshare with BA.
SD
2006-08-07 22:22:33 UTC
On Mon, 7 Aug 2006 21:58:01 +0100,
Post by The Older Gentleman
I have discovered, to my horror, that AA charges a minimum of $5 for
*all* non-alcoholic drinks in CC.
I can't see why you consider this a problem at all, tbh.
--
| ___ Salad Dodger
|/ \
_/_____\_ GL1500SEV/CBR1100XXX/CBX1000Z
|_\_____/_| ..81750../..22169.../..31893.
(>|_|_|<) TPPFATUICG#7 DIAABTCOD#9 WG*
|__|_|__| BOTAFOT #70 BOTAFOF #09 PM#5
\ |^| / IbW#0 & KotIbW# BotTOS#6 GP#4
\|^|/ ANORAK#17 IbB#4 YTC#4 two#11
'^' RBR Clues: 23 Pts: 440 Miles:1738
Wicked Uncle Nigel
2006-08-07 22:34:47 UTC
Using the patented Mavis Beacon "Hunt&Peck" Technique, SD
Post by SD
On Mon, 7 Aug 2006 21:58:01 +0100,
Post by The Older Gentleman
I have discovered, to my horror, that AA charges a minimum of $5 for
*all* non-alcoholic drinks in CC.
I can't see why you consider this a problem at all, tbh.
IANAToG, but from my viewpoint when I am jammed into an inadequately
sized seat with some ignorant bastard's snot-nosed cunt of a brat
screaming blue-murder for eleven hours without drawing breath, then one
of the few ways to guarantee some sleep is to shoot a few drinks down
ASAP.

To have an airline that's still charging top-dollar for its cattle-class
seats then rip me off by overcharging for the drinks makes me very,
very, very pissed-off. Particularly when they're served by a
semi-geriatric harridan with a face like a bulldog licking piss off of
nettles.

Maybe that's just me.

d***@burnt.org.uk
2006-08-07 22:37:30 UTC
Post by Wicked Uncle Nigel
Using the patented Mavis Beacon "Hunt&Peck" Technique, SD
Post by SD
On Mon, 7 Aug 2006 21:58:01 +0100,
Post by The Older Gentleman
I have discovered, to my horror, that AA charges a minimum of $5 for
*all* non-alcoholic drinks in CC.
I can't see why you consider this a problem at all, tbh.
IANAToG, but from my viewpoint when I am jammed into an inadequately
sized seat with some ignorant bastard's snot-nosed cunt of a brat
screaming blue-murder for eleven hours without drawing breath, then one
of the few ways to guarantee some sleep is to shoot a few drinks down
ASAP.
To have an airline that's still charging top-dollar for its cattle-class
seats then rip me off by overcharging for the drinks makes me very,
very, very pissed-off. Particularly when they're served by a
semi-geriatric harridan with a face like a bulldog licking piss off of
nettles.
Maybe that's just me.
Maybe you should read the thread more carefully before responding.
Especially TOG's quoted bits.
SD
2006-08-07 22:40:24 UTC
On Mon, 7 Aug 2006 23:34:47 +0100, Wicked Uncle Nigel
Post by Wicked Uncle Nigel
Using the patented Mavis Beacon "Hunt&Peck" Technique, SD
Post by SD
On Mon, 7 Aug 2006 21:58:01 +0100,
Post by The Older Gentleman
I have discovered, to my horror, that AA charges a minimum of $5 for
*all* non-alcoholic drinks in CC.
I can't see why you consider this a problem at all, tbh.
IANAToG, but from my viewpoint when I am jammed into an inadequately
sized seat with some ignorant bastard's snot-nosed cunt of a brat
screaming blue-murder for eleven hours without drawing breath, then one
of the few ways to guarantee some sleep is to shoot a few drinks down
ASAP.
To have an airline that's still charging top-dollar for its cattle-class
seats then rip me off by overcharging for the drinks makes me very,
very, very pissed-off. Particularly when they're served by a
semi-geriatric harridan with a face like a bulldog licking piss off of
nettles.
Maybe that's just me.
Does "non-alcoholic" mean something else, outside of London, then?
platypus
2006-08-07 22:49:21 UTC
Post by Wicked Uncle Nigel
Using the patented Mavis Beacon "Hunt&Peck" Technique, SD
Post by SD
On Mon, 7 Aug 2006 21:58:01 +0100,
Post by The Older Gentleman
I have discovered, to my horror, that AA charges a minimum of $5
for *all* non-alcoholic drinks in CC.
I can't see why you consider this a problem at all, tbh.
IANAToG, but from my viewpoint when I am jammed into an inadequately
sized seat with some ignorant bastard's snot-nosed cunt of a brat
screaming blue-murder for eleven hours without drawing breath, then
one of the few ways to guarantee some sleep is to shoot a few drinks
down ASAP.
To have an airline that's still charging top-dollar for its
cattle-class seats then rip me off by overcharging for the drinks
makes me very, very, very pissed-off. Particularly when they're
served by a semi-geriatric harridan with a face like a bulldog
licking piss off of nettles.
Maybe that's just me.
Does "non-alcoholic" mean something else, outside of London, then?
It's the aspartame. About 10% of aspartame is broken down into methanol in
the intestines. To get any kind of booze hit, you need to drink gallons of
Coke or the like. That's what Nigel has been doing tonight, which is why
he's a little hyperactive...
--
platypus

ooh, how I sighed
SD
2006-08-07 22:51:54 UTC
On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 22:49:21 GMT, "platypus"
Post by platypus
It's the aspartame. About 10% of aspartame is broken down into methanol in
the intestines. To get any kind of booze hit, you need to drink gallons of
Coke or the like. That's what Nigel has been doing tonight, which is why
he's a little hyperactive...
I thought aspartame gave one the shits.
Wicked Uncle Nigel
2006-08-07 22:55:16 UTC
Post by platypus
It's the aspartame. About 10% of aspartame is broken down into methanol in
the intestines. To get any kind of booze hit, you need to drink gallons of
Coke or the like. That's what Nigel has been doing tonight, which is why
he's a little hyperactive...
I thought aspartame gave one the shits.
No, that's a damp road, Exedras and a Vmax.

Grimly Curmudgeon
2006-08-08 00:04:35 UTC
Post by platypus
It's the aspartame. About 10% of aspartame is broken down into methanol in
the intestines. To get any kind of booze hit, you need to drink gallons of
Coke or the like. That's what Nigel has been doing tonight, which is why
he's a little hyperactive...
I thought aspartame gave one the shits.
Nah; just a little brain, liver and kidney damage, but nothing to worry
about if you're an adult.
--
Dave
GS850x2 XS650 SE6a
***@Home Team UKRM http://www.tinyurl.com/jkxwv
Dr Ivan D. Reid
2006-08-08 01:05:18 UTC
Post by platypus
It's the aspartame. About 10% of aspartame is broken down into methanol in
the intestines. To get any kind of booze hit, you need to drink gallons of
Coke or the like. That's what Nigel has been doing tonight, which is why
he's a little hyperactive...
I thought aspartame gave one the shits.
Nah; just a little brain, liver and kidney damage, but nothing to worry
about if you're an adult.
...unless you're JP, in which case it's a quick trip to intensive
care.
--
Ivan Reid, Electronic & Computer Engineering, ___ CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University. Ivan.Reid@[brunel.ac.uk|cern.ch] Room 40-1-B12, CERN
Grimly Curmudgeon
2006-08-08 12:35:11 UTC
drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dr Ivan D. Reid"
Post by Dr Ivan D. Reid
Post by Grimly Curmudgeon
Post by SD
I thought aspartame gave one the shits.
Nah; just a little brain, liver and kidney damage, but nothing to worry
about if you're an adult.
...unless you're JP, in which case it's a quick trip to intensive
care.
Blimey, I didn't know that. Did a pallet of Diet Coke fall on him?
Dr Ivan D. Reid
2006-08-08 13:34:17 UTC
Post by Dr Ivan D. Reid
Post by Grimly Curmudgeon
Post by SD
I thought aspartame gave one the shits.
Nah; just a little brain, liver and kidney damage, but nothing to worry
about if you're an adult.
...unless you're JP, in which case it's a quick trip to intensive
care.
Blimey, I didn't know that. Did a pallet of Diet Coke fall on him?
No, he asked for a G&T at some hotel he was having a romantic
weekend in. Bartender was out of regular T so he used Diet stuff without
telling JP. He quickly started having a reaction to the aspartame and was
whisked off to hospital, thereby ruining his weekend.
Grimly Curmudgeon
2006-08-08 17:00:22 UTC
Post by Dr Ivan D. Reid
Post by Grimly Curmudgeon
Blimey, I didn't know that. Did a pallet of Diet Coke fall on him?
No, he asked for a G&T at some hotel he was having a romantic
weekend in. Bartender was out of regular T so he used Diet stuff without
telling JP. He quickly started having a reaction to the aspartame and was
whisked off to hospital, thereby ruining his weekend.
"Sorry Dear, shag's orf."

It's nasty stuff to the wrong people. Quite why it got FDA approval is
another nasty story.
Wicked Uncle Nigel
2006-08-07 22:54:46 UTC
Using the patented Mavis Beacon "Hunt&Peck" Technique, platypus
Post by Wicked Uncle Nigel
Using the patented Mavis Beacon "Hunt&Peck" Technique, SD
Post by SD
On Mon, 7 Aug 2006 21:58:01 +0100,
Post by The Older Gentleman
[...]
LOL.

At least I'm not a professional writer. That'd be *really*
embarrassing...

porl
2006-08-08 00:11:10 UTC
Post by Wicked Uncle Nigel
At least I'm not a professional writer. That'd be *really*
embarrassing...
Why is TOG whining about non alcoholic prices and then saying he's
going to smuggle on alcholol as a solution? What's all this aspartame
doohickey about? I don't understand any of this thread so far and, as a
bad traveller, I feel I should. My usual solution is a shedload of
Diazapan/Tamazapan/Marzipan- whatever's onhand, and neck loads of wine
and I gernally become unconscious at some point. Teach me the science!
Eiron
2006-08-08 06:53:30 UTC
Post by porl
Post by Wicked Uncle Nigel
At least I'm not a professional writer. That'd be *really*
embarrassing...
Why is TOG whining about non alcoholic prices and then saying he's
going to smuggle on alcholol as a solution? What's all this aspartame
doohickey about? I don't understand any of this thread so far and, as a
bad traveller, I feel I should. My usual solution is a shedload of
Diazapan/Tamazapan/Marzipan- whatever's onhand, and neck loads of wine
and I gernally become unconscious at some point. Teach me the science!
Melatonin is good. Helps you to switch to your destination timezone and get
some sleep on the 'plane. Alcohol is bad. Give it up. Live long and prosper!
Decent earplugs and a good long book help as well.
--
Eiron

No good deed ever goes unpunished.
Daz
2006-08-08 08:00:05 UTC
On Mon, 7 Aug 2006 23:34:47 +0100, Wicked Uncle Nigel
<***@wicked-uncle-nigel.me.uk> wrote:

<snip>
Post by Wicked Uncle Nigel
Maybe that's just me.
Maybe you shouldn't fly.
Daz
ogden
2006-08-08 08:21:04 UTC
Post by Wicked Uncle Nigel
To have an airline that's still charging top-dollar for its cattle-class
seats then rip me off by overcharging for the drinks makes me very,
very, very pissed-off. Particularly when they're served by a
semi-geriatric harridan with a face like a bulldog licking piss off of
nettles.
If you think the trolley-matrons on AA are ropey, try Northwest.
ogden
The Older Gentleman
2006-08-08 06:37:03 UTC
Post by SD
On Mon, 7 Aug 2006 21:58:01 +0100,
Post by The Older Gentleman
I have discovered, to my horror, that AA charges a minimum of $5 for
*all* non-alcoholic drinks in CC.
I can't see why you consider this a problem at all, tbh.
Bollocks. I meant "non-soft" or "alcoholic" drinks, of course.
Snowleopard
2006-08-08 15:59:02 UTC
On Tue, 8 Aug 2006 07:37:03 +0100,
Post by The Older Gentleman
Post by SD
On Mon, 7 Aug 2006 21:58:01 +0100,
Post by The Older Gentleman
I have discovered, to my horror, that AA charges a minimum of $5 for
*all* non-alcoholic drinks in CC.
I can't see why you consider this a problem at all, tbh.
Bollocks. I meant "non-soft" or "alcoholic" drinks, of course.
So, you expect AA to serve alcoholic drinks free? Wouldn't really work
with the whole 12 Step thing, would it!
--
Snowleopard The cat >^..^< has no lair

"The natural world's holy grail"
Dr Ivan D. Reid
2006-08-08 18:46:50 UTC
Post by Ace
On Tue, 8 Aug 2006 07:37:03 +0100,
Post by The Older Gentleman
Post by SD
On Mon, 7 Aug 2006 21:58:01 +0100,
Post by The Older Gentleman
I have discovered, to my horror, that AA charges a minimum of $5 for
*all* non-alcoholic drinks in CC.
I can't see why you consider this a problem at all, tbh.
Bollocks. I meant "non-soft" or "alcoholic" drinks, of course.
So, you expect AA to serve alcoholic drinks free? Wouldn't really work
with the whole 12 Step thing, would it!
All other international airlines serve free drinks (except for
easyJet at al.) and have done so at least since I flew to NZ in 1981. I
used to sidestep Swiss's budget tendencies on my flights to Geneva (they
wanted money for food & drink) by booking BA flights through Swiss...

US airlines do charge on domestic flights, though.
Ace
2006-08-08 18:52:56 UTC
On Tue, 8 Aug 2006 18:46:50 +0000 (UTC), "Dr Ivan D. Reid"
Post by Dr Ivan D. Reid
All other international airlines serve free drinks (except for
easyJet at al.) and have done so at least since I flew to NZ in 1981. I
used to sidestep Swiss's budget tendencies on my flights to Geneva (they
wanted money for food & drink) by booking BA flights through Swiss...
They've gone back to a more normal service these days. Although
they're doing much fewer filghts from Basel now, so I'm tending to use
BA to the UK.
--
_______
`
Dr Ivan D. Reid
2006-08-08 22:11:44 UTC
Post by Dr Ivan D. Reid
All other international airlines serve free drinks (except for
easyJet at al.) and have done so at least since I flew to NZ in 1981. I
used to sidestep Swiss's budget tendencies on my flights to Geneva (they
wanted money for food & drink) by booking BA flights through Swiss...
They've gone back to a more normal service these days. Although
they're doing much fewer filghts from Basel now, so I'm tending to use
BA to the UK.
Well, they don't fly to LHR at all any more, and are no longer
partnered with BA AFAICT. Tho' I do believe they gave me a free sandwich
and beer a few months ago when it was so much cheaper to fly into LCY
than LHR that I had to bear the inconvenience of Tubing across to Uxbridge.
Ace
2006-08-09 06:07:24 UTC
Post by Dr Ivan D. Reid
All other international airlines serve free drinks (except for
easyJet at al.) and have done so at least since I flew to NZ in 1981. I
used to sidestep Swiss's budget tendencies on my flights to Geneva (they
wanted money for food & drink) by booking BA flights through Swiss...
They've gone back to a more normal service these days. Although
they're doing much fewer filghts from Basel now, so I'm tending to use
BA to the UK.
Well, they don't fly to LHR at all any more, and are no longer
partnered with BA AFAICT. Tho' I do believe they gave me a free sandwich
and beer a few months ago when it was so much cheaper to fly into LCY
than LHR that I had to bear the inconvenience of Tubing across to Uxbridge.
I still use Swiss to LCY if I'm visiting the Welwyn office, although
most of my UK colleagues now use SqueezyJet from Luton. Compared to
going into LHR, it's a breeze, and now the DLR link is complete all
the way to the airport it's even easier to get into town. Even to
Uxbridge I bet your time from landing to getting home would be about
as quick from LCY as LHR.
--
_______
`
Dr Ivan D. Reid
2006-08-09 07:18:51 UTC
Post by Dr Ivan D. Reid
Well, they don't fly to LHR at all any more, and are no longer
partnered with BA AFAICT. Tho' I do believe they gave me a free sandwich
and beer a few months ago when it was so much cheaper to fly into LCY
than LHR that I had to bear the inconvenience of Tubing across to Uxbridge.
I still use Swiss to LCY if I'm visiting the Welwyn office, although
most of my UK colleagues now use SqueezyJet from Luton. Compared to
going into LHR, it's a breeze, and now the DLR link is complete all
the way to the airport it's even easier to get into town. Even to
Uxbridge I bet your time from landing to getting home would be about
as quick from LCY as LHR.
Given that the U3 from LHR goes past the end of my street with a
scheduled time of 30 minutes, you might lose that bet. :-) I can't even
get to Uxbridge in less than an hour from London pissups or Acefests.
The TfL journey planner is giving me times in the 1h20min-1h30min range
for LCY to UXB[1], and then there's another 10-15 minutes to get here even if
a U1/3/5 bus is leaving the minute I get out of the Tube station. OK, I
have to get through immigration (but there's a resident's queue to bypass
the couple of Jumbo's worth of Pakistanis and Indians), and across to the
bus station on Heathrow Express, but with an hour or so travel advantage
I'd need a great snarl-up getting out of T4 to make LCY quicker.

[1] With two interchanges DLR-Jubilee-Met..
Ace
2006-08-09 07:52:21 UTC
Post by Dr Ivan D. Reid
Well, they don't fly to LHR at all any more, and are no longer
partnered with BA AFAICT. Tho' I do believe they gave me a free sandwich
and beer a few months ago when it was so much cheaper to fly into LCY
than LHR that I had to bear the inconvenience of Tubing across to Uxbridge.
I still use Swiss to LCY if I'm visiting the Welwyn office, although
most of my UK colleagues now use SqueezyJet from Luton. Compared to
going into LHR, it's a breeze, and now the DLR link is complete all
the way to the airport it's even easier to get into town. Even to
Uxbridge I bet your time from landing to getting home would be about
as quick from LCY as LHR.
Given that the U3 from LHR goes past the end of my street with a
scheduled time of 30 minutes, you might lose that bet. :-)
That's a bus, is it? They don't count.

Anyway, it's still taken you up to half an hour longer just to clear
customs and baggage, even if you don't then have to do the long walk
to the tube. But I grant you that using buses, which is an option that
frankly I would never consider, is probably a lot quicker for you.
--
_______
`
Snowleopard
2006-08-08 21:45:52 UTC
On Tue, 8 Aug 2006 18:46:50 +0000 (UTC), "Dr Ivan D. Reid"
Post by Dr Ivan D. Reid
Post by Ace
On Tue, 8 Aug 2006 07:37:03 +0100,
Post by The Older Gentleman
Post by SD
On Mon, 7 Aug 2006 21:58:01 +0100,
Post by The Older Gentleman
I have discovered, to my horror, that AA charges a minimum of $5 for
*all* non-alcoholic drinks in CC.
I can't see why you consider this a problem at all, tbh.
Bollocks. I meant "non-soft" or "alcoholic" drinks, of course.
So, you expect AA to serve alcoholic drinks free? Wouldn't really work
with the whole 12 Step thing, would it!
All other international airlines serve free drinks (except for
easyJet at al.) and have done so at least since I flew to NZ in 1981. I
used to sidestep Swiss's budget tendencies on my flights to Geneva (they
wanted money for food & drink) by booking BA flights through Swiss...
US airlines do charge on domestic flights, though.
WHOOSH!!!!!!!

Dr Ivan D. Reid
2006-08-08 22:08:20 UTC
Post by Dr Ivan D. Reid
Post by Snowleopard
So, you expect AA to serve alcoholic drinks free? Wouldn't really work
with the whole 12 Step thing, would it!
All other international airlines serve free drinks (except for
easyJet at al.) and have done so at least since I flew to NZ in 1981. I
used to sidestep Swiss's budget tendencies on my flights to Geneva (they
wanted money for food & drink) by booking BA flights through Swiss...
US airlines do charge on domestic flights, though.
WHOOSH!!!!!!!
Ah, pardon me, Alcoholics Anonymous is not part of my world.
Snowleopard
2006-08-09 17:04:00 UTC
Post by Dr Ivan D. Reid
Post by Snowleopard
So, you expect AA to serve alcoholic drinks free? Wouldn't really work
with the whole 12 Step thing, would it!
All other international airlines serve free drinks (except for
easyJet at al.) and have done so at least since I flew to NZ in 1981. I
used to sidestep Swiss's budget tendencies on my flights to Geneva (they
wanted money for food & drink) by booking BA flights through Swiss...
US airlines do charge on domestic flights, though.
WHOOSH!!!!!!!
Ah, pardon me, Alcoholics Anonymous is not part of my world.
S'okay. Seems it just wasn't funny anyway :~)

Andy Bonwick
2006-08-13 18:40:26 UTC
On Tue, 8 Aug 2006 18:46:50 +0000 (UTC), "Dr Ivan D. Reid"
<***@brunel.ac.uk> wrote:

snip>
Post by Dr Ivan D. Reid
All other international airlines serve free drinks (except for
easyJet at al.) and have done so at least since I flew to NZ in 1981. I
used to sidestep Swiss's budget tendencies on my flights to Geneva (they
wanted money for food & drink) by booking BA flights through Swiss...
Continental (also known as con-air) charged for drinks when I flew
Gatwick to Houston and it pissed me off so much that I changed carrier
for the return flight.

YTC#1
2006-08-08 08:10:05 UTC
Post by SD
On Mon, 7 Aug 2006 21:58:01 +0100,
Post by The Older Gentleman
I have discovered, to my horror, that AA charges a minimum of $5 for
*all* non-alcoholic drinks in CC.
I can't see why you consider this a problem at all, tbh.
I'm with SD, the less drunken arseholes on a plane, the safer it is.

TBH I *never* drink on a plane, you just end up dehydrated and over tired
the next day.
YTC#1
2006-08-08 08:10:47 UTC
Post by SD
On Mon, 7 Aug 2006 21:58:01 +0100,
Post by The Older Gentleman
I have discovered, to my horror, that AA charges a minimum of $5 for
*all* non-alcoholic drinks in CC.
I can't see why you consider this a problem at all, tbh.
And now I just realised what SD was on about .... Doh !
Dr Ivan D. Reid
2006-08-08 01:07:52 UTC
On Mon, 7 Aug 2006 21:58:01 +0100,
Post by The Older Gentleman
That whole trip will take nearly 24 hours. I cannot do that without a
goodly supply of alcohol. So: I plan to smuggle on board a Sprite bottle
containing G&T, and a bottle of decent claret. I will order 1 (one)
small bottle of $5 AA catspiss and top my glass up at regular intervals
from my own bottle.
Yes, I know this is against regs. If anyone has a better solution, I'm
sitting here with ears flapping.
The Priory. YKIMS.
simonk
2006-08-08 07:49:32 UTC
Post by The Older Gentleman
Fuck and triple fuck.
Got to spend next week in Ecuador. Trip paid for by Ecuadorian export
bods. Depart Saturday.
Long-standing (loaded) contact/advertiser in the country says it's a
helluva journey and offers to pay for an upgrade to biz class.
His flight details (London--->Schipol--->Ecuador with KLM) come through
five hours after I have left work for my two week hols. As there was no
London--->New York--->Miami--->Ecuador, cattle class, American Airlines.
I have discovered, to my horror, that AA charges a minimum of $5 for
*all* non-alcoholic drinks in CC. And you even have to pay for your food
on the (four-hour) NY--->Miami leg.
Jesus Fucking Christ. I didn't know airlines existed that charged you
for booze on intercontinental flights.
Are you absolutely sure? I've flown AA transatlantic relatively recently and
they had a fairly standard economy class bar service. The food was terrible
(though IME that has more to do with the airport you just left rather than
the airline you're flying with)

You definitely have to pay for everything on domestic flights, though - even
fairly long ones such as LAX-JFK.
simonk: 955i, ccm404-ds
TOG@toil, chateau.murray@btinternet.com,
http://www.aa.com/content/uk/agency/travelExperience/meals.jhtml
simonk
2006-08-08 09:28:57 UTC
Post by ***@toil, ***@btinternet.com,
Post by simonk
Post by The Older Gentleman
[...]
Jesus.

Mind you, I doubt it loses them much business, given the Americans'
issues with "liquor"
simonk
Ace
2006-08-08 07:52:03 UTC
On Mon, 7 Aug 2006 21:58:01 +0100,
Post by The Older Gentleman
Yes, I know this is against regs. If anyone has a better solution, I'm
sitting here with ears flapping.
Get a job for a less pikey employer, YTC.
--
_______
`
TOG@toil, chateau.murray@btinternet.com,
2006-08-08 08:50:27 UTC
Post by SD
On Mon, 7 Aug 2006 21:58:01 +0100,
Post by The Older Gentleman
Yes, I know this is against regs. If anyone has a better solution, I'm
sitting here with ears flapping.
Get a job for a less pikey employer, YTC.
It ain't my employer who's paying for it - it's a press trip, paid for
by the Ecuadoran government
Ace
2006-08-08 09:17:17 UTC
Post by ***@toil, ***@btinternet.com,
Post by SD
On Mon, 7 Aug 2006 21:58:01 +0100,
Post by The Older Gentleman
Yes, I know this is against regs. If anyone has a better solution, I'm
sitting here with ears flapping.
Get a job for a less pikey employer, YTC.
It ain't my employer who's paying for it - it's a press trip, paid for
by the Ecuadoran government
So in this instance, your erstwhile 'employer' is the furrn guvmnt,
no? S'wat I meant, anyway.
--
_______
`
YTC#1
2006-08-08 08:11:41 UTC
Post by The Older Gentleman
Fuck and triple fuck.
<snip>
Post by The Older Gentleman
That whole trip will take nearly 24 hours. I cannot do that without a
goodly supply of alcohol. So: I plan to smuggle on board a Sprite bottle
containing G&T, and a bottle of decent claret. I will order 1 (one)
small bottle of $5 AA catspiss and top my glass up at regular intervals
from my own bottle.
Yes, I know this is against regs. If anyone has a better solution, I'm
sitting here with ears flapping.
Cue reports of plane turning round and kicking a passenger off :-)
Champ
2006-08-08 08:52:26 UTC
On Mon, 7 Aug 2006 21:58:01 +0100,
Post by The Older Gentleman
That whole trip will take nearly 24 hours. I cannot do that without a
goodly supply of alcohol.
Conversely, I never drink on planes, and certainly not long haul. The
environment is dehydrating enough without making things worse by
drinking. I read, sleep, and watch the occasional movie. And drink
lots and lots of water - the last time I went to the west coast, the
cabin crew got used so used to me going to the galley to ask for water
that they let me have the run of the place.
--
Champ

ZX10R
GPz750turbo