Biking holiday recommendations…
Chris
2005-01-09 11:17:48 UTC
I’d like to go on a biking holiday this year, Not to bothered about what
country although if I had to choose then maybe the States or Canada.
I’ve done a google and there are lots to choose from.
Do any of you have particular recommendations from your experiences good
or bad?

Feel free to e-mail if you prefer.

Many thanks

Chris.
Salad Dodger
2005-01-09 11:37:58 UTC
http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?selm=irnmnuce5efth1dgd2nrub52s4301mln7q%404ax.com&output=gplain
--
| ___ Salad Dodger
|/ \
_/_____\_ GL1500SEV/CBR1100XXX/KH500A8/TS250C
|_\_____/_| ..73066../..17485.../..3184./.19406
(>|_|_|<) TPPFATUICG#7 DIAABTCOD#9 YTC#4 PM#5
|__|_|__| BOTAFOT #70 BOTAFOF #09 two#11 WG*
\ |^| / IbW#0 & KotIbW# BotTOS#6 GP#4
\|^|/ ANORAK#17 IbB#4
'^'
Simon Atkinson
2005-01-09 11:44:13 UTC
I’d like to go on a biking holiday this year, Not to bothered about
what country although if I had to choose then maybe the States or
Canada. I’ve done a google and there are lots to choose from. Do
any of you have particular recommendations from your experiences good
or bad?
The UK is good for biking holidays. Start in the Southwest and head
north - North Wales is good biking country (avoid the 'keen' rozzers
though) as is the Lake district (good B&B's abound). Scotland is nice
but full of Scots.
Bear
2005-01-09 12:25:16 UTC
In article <***@news.individual.net>, Simon Atkinson
says...
Post by Simon Atkinson
I?d like to go on a biking holiday this year, Not to bothered about
what country although if I had to choose then maybe the States or
Canada. I?ve done a google and there are lots to choose from. Do
any of you have particular recommendations from your experiences good
or bad?
The UK is good for biking holidays. Start in the Southwest and head
north - North Wales is good biking country (avoid the 'keen' rozzers
though) as is the Lake district (good B&B's abound). Scotland is nice
but full of Scots.
... and avoid northern france if your missus is riding behind you ...
--
Bear
"Don't believe the hype"
Today's music: Marillion "Marbles"
Simon Atkinson
2005-01-09 13:11:15 UTC
Post by Bear
says...
Post by Simon Atkinson
I?d like to go on a biking holiday this year, Not to bothered
about what country although if I had to choose then maybe the
States or Canada. I?ve done a google and there are lots to
choose from. Do any of you have particular recommendations from
your experiences good or bad?
The UK is good for biking holidays. Start in the Southwest and head
north - North Wales is good biking country (avoid the 'keen' rozzers
though) as is the Lake district (good B&B's abound). Scotland is
nice but full of Scots.
... and avoid northern france if your missus is riding behind you ...
:-P

Actually it's a good place to be written off cos it's near enough to
get the bike home easily (as long as you've got a convenient horse box
and land-rover).
wessie
2005-01-09 11:52:11 UTC
Chris emerged from their own little world to say
I’d like to go on a biking holiday this year, Not to bothered about what
country although if I had to choose then maybe the States or Canada.
I’ve done a google and there are lots to choose from.
Do any of you have particular recommendations from your experiences good
or bad?
Feel free to e-mail if you prefer.
Do you want recomendations for a particular area or the name of a company
that organises tours?
BMW R1150GS
Chris
2005-01-09 11:57:39 UTC
Post by Chris
I’d like to go on a biking holiday this year, Not to bothered about what
country although if I had to choose then maybe the States or Canada.
I’ve done a google and there are lots to choose from.
Do any of you have particular recommendations from your experiences good
or bad?
Feel free to e-mail if you prefer.
Do you want recomendations for a particular area or the name of a company
that organises tours?
A bit of both if poss. Peoples opinions of companies are always far
better than what the web/brochures can ever be.

Ta.
wessie
2005-01-09 12:41:31 UTC
Post by Chris
Post by wessie
Do you want recomendations for a particular area or the name of a
company that organises tours?
A bit of both if poss. Peoples opinions of companies are always far
better than what the web/brochures can ever be.
For Europe, assuming you have your own bike, you will not go wrong with
www.mcitours.com

The tours are well organised. I know a lot of people who have made their
first trip abroad using them.

Even if you think the prices are too high the website will give you an
idea of nice areas to go.

Personally, I prefer to organise something myself. It's a lot cheaper,
you know the people you are travelling with and you have greater
flexibility if you don't prebook accommodation. For example, whilst
returning from Slovenia our original plan was to stop for a few days in
the Ardennes. The weather got nasty and we stopped earlier than we
planned, in Trier. We found that it was a lovely city on the Mosel.
There was a wine/jazz festival on. We spent 3 days there, exploring the
city and riding in the Eiffel Mountains.
BMW R1150GS
Preston Kemp
2005-01-09 13:24:07 UTC
Post by Chris
Post by wessie
Do you want recomendations for a particular area or the name of a
company that organises tours?
A bit of both if poss. Peoples opinions of companies are always far
better than what the web/brochures can ever be.
For Europe, assuming you have your own bike, you will not go wrong
with www.mcitours.com
Seconded. I've been to Assen with them a few times & Alistair goes way
beyond the call of duty when things go tits up. Like when you lose your
topbox containing your wallet, passport & race tickets somewhere
between Groningen & Amsterdam, for example...
--
Preston.

http://www.muddystuff.co.uk
Off-road classifieds

'02 MV Senna '96 Tiger '79 Fantic 250
Bear
2005-01-09 13:42:59 UTC
Post by Chris
Post by wessie
Do you want recomendations for a particular area or the name of a
company that organises tours?
A bit of both if poss. Peoples opinions of companies are always far
better than what the web/brochures can ever be.
For Europe, assuming you have your own bike, you will not go wrong
with www.mcitours.com
Seconded. I've been to Assen with them a few times & Alistair goes way
beyond the call of duty when things go tits up. Like when you lose your
topbox containing your wallet, passport & race tickets somewhere
between Groningen & Amsterdam, for example...
I've always wondered ... what happens if you lose your passport on the
way home? I presume that if you're on hols they arrange a temporary one,
but what happens if you just turn up at C&I with nothing?
Preston Kemp
2005-01-09 14:05:38 UTC
Post by Bear
Post by Chris
A bit of both if poss. Peoples opinions of companies are always
far better than what the web/brochures can ever be.
For Europe, assuming you have your own bike, you will not go wrong
with www.mcitours.com
Seconded. I've been to Assen with them a few times & Alistair goes
way beyond the call of duty when things go tits up. Like when you
lose your topbox containing your wallet, passport & race tickets
somewhere between Groningen & Amsterdam, for example...
I've always wondered ... what happens if you lose your passport on
the way home? I presume that if you're on hols they arrange a
temporary one, but what happens if you just turn up at C&I with
nothing?
Dunno. Presumably they cart you off for questioning, search your
luggage for any proof you are who you say you are, demand custody of
your first-born then find the nearest set of steps.

Eiron
2005-01-09 14:11:34 UTC
Post by Preston Kemp
Post by Bear
I've always wondered ... what happens if you lose your passport on
the way home? I presume that if you're on hols they arrange a
temporary one, but what happens if you just turn up at C&I with
nothing?
Dunno. Presumably they cart you off for questioning, search your
luggage for any proof you are who you say you are, demand custody of
your first-born then find the nearest set of steps.
No, if you have a stiff upper lip they let you through.
Otherwise they give you a flat, a new car and an allowance. :-)
Eiron.
Bear
2005-01-09 14:17:38 UTC
Post by Preston Kemp
Post by Bear
I've always wondered ... what happens if you lose your passport on
the way home? I presume that if you're on hols they arrange a
temporary one, but what happens if you just turn up at C&I with
nothing?
Dunno. Presumably they cart you off for questioning, search your
luggage for any proof you are who you say you are, demand custody of
your first-born then find the nearest set of steps.
I've always suspected it's nowhere near as bad as you might imagine ...
I mean, otherwise, everyone who'd ever lost their passport or had it
stolen would still be queued up at Dover, surely?
Preston Kemp
2005-01-09 15:36:24 UTC
Post by Bear
Post by Preston Kemp
Post by Bear
I've always wondered ... what happens if you lose your passport on
the way home? I presume that if you're on hols they arrange a
temporary one, but what happens if you just turn up at C&I with
nothing?
Dunno. Presumably they cart you off for questioning, search your
luggage for any proof you are who you say you are, demand custody of
your first-born then find the nearest set of steps.
I've always suspected it's nowhere near as bad as you might imagine
... I mean, otherwise, everyone who'd ever lost their passport or
had it stolen would still be queued up at Dover, surely?
Only the ones who lost it on the ferry. The rest would be queued up at
Calais - God help them.

The Older Gentleman
2005-01-09 15:42:16 UTC
Post by Preston Kemp
Post by Bear
Post by Preston Kemp
Post by Bear
I've always wondered ... what happens if you lose your passport on
the way home? I presume that if you're on hols they arrange a
temporary one, but what happens if you just turn up at C&I with
nothing?
Dunno. Presumably they cart you off for questioning, search your
luggage for any proof you are who you say you are, demand custody of
your first-born then find the nearest set of steps.
I've always suspected it's nowhere near as bad as you might imagine
... I mean, otherwise, everyone who'd ever lost their passport or
had it stolen would still be queued up at Dover, surely?
Only the ones who lost it on the ferry. The rest would be queued up at
Calais - God help them.
See other posting. With Bruce, it was just a matter of grinning and
saying "No passport!" to the Brit immigration guys on French soil.

They were more intrigued as to how we'd managed to get *out* of Britain
(ie: past the French immigration guys on UK soil), and we had to omit
certain crucial details there. :-/

But absolutely no problem.
--
Trophy 1200 (Doctored) 750SS CB400F CD200 ST70 DT50MX
GAGARPHOF#30 GHPOTHUF#1 BOTAFOT#60 ANORAK#06 YTC#3
BOF#30 WUSS#5 The bells, the bells.....
Preston Kemp
2005-01-09 15:53:15 UTC
Post by The Older Gentleman
Post by Preston Kemp
Post by Bear
Post by Preston Kemp
Post by Bear
I've always wondered ... what happens if you lose your
passport on the way home? I presume that if you're on hols
they arrange a temporary one, but what happens if you just
turn up at C&I with nothing?
Dunno. Presumably they cart you off for questioning, search your
luggage for any proof you are who you say you are, demand
custody of your first-born then find the nearest set of steps.
I've always suspected it's nowhere near as bad as you might
imagine ... I mean, otherwise, everyone who'd ever lost their
passport or had it stolen would still be queued up at Dover,
surely?
Only the ones who lost it on the ferry. The rest would be queued up
at Calais - God help them.
See other posting. With Bruce, it was just a matter of grinning and
saying "No passport!" to the Brit immigration guys on French soil.
I'll make sure 'my mate' knows that for next time - the daft plonker.
Post by The Older Gentleman
They were more intrigued as to how we'd managed to get out of Britain
(ie: past the French immigration guys on UK soil), and we had to omit
certain crucial details there. :-/
Ah, the old hiding in the anal cavity trick.

The Older Gentleman
2005-01-09 14:18:23 UTC
Post by Bear
I've always wondered ... what happens if you lose your passport on the
way home? I presume that if you're on hols they arrange a temporary one,
but what happens if you just turn up at C&I with nothing?
They check you're a Brit, and if you can convince them they wave you in.

I've done it with YTC himself when he managed to forget his passport.
sweller
2005-01-09 19:54:50 UTC
Post by The Older Gentleman
They check you're a Brit, and if you can convince them they wave you in.
Is this a bit like the old Commando comics where you have to know who
lost the third round of the FA cup in 1936?
--
Simon

http://www.sweller.co.uk/sob/
The Older Gentleman
2005-01-09 20:02:09 UTC
Post by sweller
Post by The Older Gentleman
They check you're a Brit, and if you can convince them they wave you in.
Is this a bit like the old Commando comics where you have to know who
lost the third round of the FA cup in 1936?
Bruce's Scouse accent was enough......
Champ
2005-01-09 20:06:39 UTC
On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 14:18:23 +0000,
Post by The Older Gentleman
Post by Bear
I've always wondered ... what happens if you lose your passport on the
way home? I presume that if you're on hols they arrange a temporary one,
but what happens if you just turn up at C&I with nothing?
They check you're a Brit, and if you can convince them they wave you in.
What's the test?

- talk for 15 minutes about the weather?
- eat over-cooked vegetables?
- whinge about the bloke in the queue in front of you?
Champ
wessie
2005-01-09 20:10:41 UTC
Champ emerged from their own little world to say
Post by Champ
On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 14:18:23 +0000,
Post by The Older Gentleman
Post by Bear
I've always wondered ... what happens if you lose your passport on
the way home? I presume that if you're on hols they arrange a
temporary one, but what happens if you just turn up at C&I with
nothing?
They check you're a Brit, and if you can convince them they wave you in.
What's the test?
- talk for 15 minutes about the weather?
- eat over-cooked vegetables?
- whinge about the bloke in the queue in front of you?
Nah. Moan that you can't get a decent curry in France.
BMW R1150GS
Preston Kemp
2005-01-09 11:59:07 UTC
I’d like to go on a biking holiday this year, Not to bothered about
what country although if I had to choose then maybe the States or
Canada. I’ve done a google and there are lots to choose from. Do
any of you have particular recommendations from your experiences good
or bad?
What's your primary objective, will you have pillion, & what type of
bike? Wanting to ride endless twisty, traffic-free roads on your own
may give very different recommendations to wanting a gentle 2-up
trundle through stunning scenery.

Chris
2005-01-09 12:11:58 UTC
Post by Preston Kemp
Post by Chris
I’d like to go on a biking holiday this year, Not to bothered about
what country although if I had to choose then maybe the States or
Canada. I’ve done a google and there are lots to choose from. Do
any of you have particular recommendations from your experiences good
or bad?
What's your primary objective, will you have pillion, & what type of
bike? Wanting to ride endless twisty, traffic-free roads on your own
may give very different recommendations to wanting a gentle 2-up
trundle through stunning scenery.
I had a group guided tour in mind reasons being that the guides know the
best routesand being with a bunch of like minded, not bothered about
thrashing around twisties I can do that here, I'd like to experience
riding in another country.
Preston Kemp
2005-01-09 12:19:40 UTC
Post by Chris
Post by Preston Kemp
I’d like to go on a biking holiday this year, Not to bothered
about what country although if I had to choose then maybe the
States or Canada.
What's your primary objective, will you have pillion, & what type of
bike?
I had a group guided tour in mind reasons being that the guides know
the best routesand being with a bunch of like minded, not bothered
about thrashing around twisties I can do that here, I'd like to
experience riding in another country.
In that case, what about God's own motorcycling country?
http://www.gotournz.com/

The Older Gentleman
2005-01-09 13:01:53 UTC
Post by Chris
I had a group guided tour in mind reasons being that the guides know the
best routesand being with a bunch of like minded, not bothered about
thrashing around twisties I can do that here, I'd like to experience
riding in another country.
I've heard some good stories and I've heard some terrifying ones[1]
(about group tours).

Bear in mind that they can be *very* expensive for what they offer. It's
worth considering getting a cheap package or DIY flight+hotel to an area
you fancy, and hiring a bike for a few days once there.

There's the ukrm French Run in May, of course, if you fancy a two-day
taster. Destination Ardennes.

[1] A friend went on one such to Spain. One of the group got separated
and didn't show up at the hotel in the evening. The group guide didn't
speak very good Spanish, and had no idea of how to contact any emergency
services to see if the absentee had a prang.

He'd simply got lost, and showed up in due course, but it showed that
the organisation of this particular outfit wasn't up to coping with an
emergency.
Chris
2005-01-09 13:16:50 UTC
Post by The Older Gentleman
Post by Chris
I had a group guided tour in mind reasons being that the guides know the
best routesand being with a bunch of like minded, not bothered about
thrashing around twisties I can do that here, I'd like to experience
riding in another country.
snip
Post by The Older Gentleman
Bear in mind that they can be *very* expensive for what they offer. It's
worth considering getting a cheap package or DIY flight+hotel to an area
you fancy, and hiring a bike for a few days once there.
snip

You are quit right about the cost, i've never looked into the price of
it before, shit, it's expensive. I'm warming to taking my own bike
(gsx1400) france, spain. I do like the sound of biking the Czech
Republic though...
Colin Irvine
2005-01-09 14:52:40 UTC
Post by Chris
Post by The Older Gentleman
Bear in mind that they can be *very* expensive for what they offer. It's
worth considering getting a cheap package or DIY flight+hotel to an area
you fancy, and hiring a bike for a few days once there.
snip
You are quit right about the cost, i've never looked into the price of
it before, shit, it's expensive. I'm warming to taking my own bike
(gsx1400) france, spain. I do like the sound of biking the Czech
Republic though...
Then do it! As TOG says, guided tours are much more expensive than
making your own arrangements (I've done one or two direct comparisons
and reckon on at least a 50% more), but it does mean you'll have
company.

Our first two tours were with the Suzuki Owners Club, first to
Scotland then the following year to the Ardennes, but thereafter we've
just done our own thing. Bikers seem to get a good reception
everywhere. Couple of write-ups on my website if you're interested.
This summer we're going back to explore the western Pyrenees and
Languedoc coast in a bit more detail.
--
Colin Irvine
YZF1000R BOF#33 BONY#34 COFF#06 BHaLC#5
http://www.colin.irvine.dsl.pipex.com/
Colin Irvine
2005-01-09 15:16:20 UTC
On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 14:52:40 +0000, Colin Irvine
Post by Colin Irvine
This summer we're going back to explore the western Pyrenees and
Languedoc coast in a bit more detail.
Apologies for bad form - I meant the eastern Pyrenees and Roussillon
coast.

Thankfully Pat'll be navigating.
SteveH
2005-01-09 18:04:26 UTC
Post by Chris
Post by The Older Gentleman
Bear in mind that they can be *very* expensive for what they offer. It's
worth considering getting a cheap package or DIY flight+hotel to an area
you fancy, and hiring a bike for a few days once there.
snip
You are quit right about the cost, i've never looked into the price of
it before, shit, it's expensive. I'm warming to taking my own bike
(gsx1400) france, spain. I do like the sound of biking the Czech
Republic though...
I'm currently in the planning stages of a Santander - Le Havre trip for
late this summer, having done the Algarve on a hired bike last autumn
and a mid-week break in Le Mans the summer before.

Always looked at the organised trips, but the cost and the fact that
you're tied into doing what's been organised puts me off them.
VW Golf GL Cabrio - Alfa 75 TS - VW Passat 1.8T 20V SE - COSOC KOTL
Nigel Eaton
2005-01-10 01:01:17 UTC
Using the patented Mavis Beacon "Hunt&Peck" Technique, The Older
Post by The Older Gentleman
Post by Chris
I had a group guided tour in mind reasons being that the guides know the
best routesand being with a bunch of like minded, not bothered about
thrashing around twisties I can do that here, I'd like to experience
riding in another country.
I've heard some good stories and I've heard some terrifying ones[1]
(about group tours).
Bear in mind that they can be *very* expensive for what they offer. It's
worth considering getting a cheap package or DIY flight+hotel to an area
you fancy, and hiring a bike for a few days once there.
There's the ukrm French Run in May, of course, if you fancy a two-day
taster. Destination Ardennes.
This would be a very good, low key, easy introduction to touring in
parts foreign.

As well as getting stupendously pissed, having a laugh, getting run
over, buying wine that costs more than the GDP of Botswana, chucking up
in the bath, getting mildly lost, breaking furniture, and wetting
yourself[1].

Do it, do it, do it. It's a hoot.

[1]Did I miss anything?
--
Nigel - Manufacturer of the "Champion-105" range of rearsets

WS* GHPOTHUF#24 APOSTLE#14 DLC#1 COFF#20 BOTAFOT#150 HYPO#0(KoTL) IbW#41
ZZR1100, Enfield 500 Curry House Racer "The Basmati Rice Burner",
Honda GL1000K2 (On its hols) Kawasaki ZN1300 Voyager "Oh, Oh, It's so big"
platypus
2005-01-10 01:06:01 UTC
Post by The Older Gentleman
Post by Chris
[...]
Snoring and petrol muppetry.
--
platypus

no need to ask
Salad Dodger
2005-01-10 01:19:52 UTC
On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 01:01:17 +0000, Nigel Eaton
Post by Nigel Eaton
As well as getting stupendously pissed, having a laugh, getting run
over, buying wine that costs more than the GDP of Botswana, chucking up
in the bath, getting mildly lost, breaking furniture, and wetting
yourself[1].
Do it, do it, do it. It's a hoot.
[1]Did I miss anything?
Yes;no;yes;no;maybe arrival policy.

Crossing unnecessary rivers.

Dreaming up epic adventures for other people to go on.
'^'
Ben Blaney
2005-01-10 03:41:12 UTC
Post by Salad Dodger
On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 01:01:17 +0000, Nigel Eaton
Post by Nigel Eaton
[1]Did I miss anything?
Dreaming up epic adventures for other people to go on.
<happy dance>
Ben Blaney
sweller
2005-01-10 06:39:04 UTC
Post by Salad Dodger
Dreaming up epic adventures for other people to go on.
The regretting you didn't go yourself.
--
Simon

http://www.sweller.co.uk/sob/
Ben Blaney
2005-01-10 07:53:40 UTC
Post by sweller
Post by Salad Dodger
Dreaming up epic adventures for other people to go on.
The regretting you didn't go yourself.
Tell me about it.
Ben Blaney
The Older Gentleman
2005-01-10 08:41:21 UTC
Post by Nigel Eaton
wetting
yourself[1].
Tha reminds me. Tim seems to be staying away from this one.

We needn't pack the Pampers, then.
Simon Atkinson
George Cherry of Moto Tours, (01920) 413730 is your man.
The Older Gentleman
2005-01-09 12:01:56 UTC
I'd like to go on a biking holiday this year, Not to bothered about what
country although if I had to choose then maybe the States or Canada.
I've done a google and there are lots to choose from.
Do any of you have particular recommendations from your experiences good
or bad?
Italy. God's own motorcycling country. And the faster you go, the more
they approve. Has *anyone* ever heard of a motorcyclist being nicked for
speeding in Italy? Just wondered.

France has a lot to offer, but it's full of Frogs.
wessie
2005-01-09 12:22:12 UTC
The Older Gentleman emerged from their own little world to say
Post by The Older Gentleman
I'd like to go on a biking holiday this year, Not to bothered about
what country although if I had to choose then maybe the States or
Canada. I've done a google and there are lots to choose from.
Do any of you have particular recommendations from your experiences
good or bad?
Italy. God's own motorcycling country. And the faster you go, the more
they approve. Has *anyone* ever heard of a motorcyclist being nicked
for speeding in Italy? Just wondered.
Yes, I like Italy. Stayed in Torbole on Lake Garda. Used it as a base to
explore the Dolomites etc.
Post by The Older Gentleman
France has a lot to offer, but it's full of Frogs.
Ditto. French Alps in summer are excellent on a bike. Again, pick a base
and do circuits from there. I used Grenoble last time I went.

Auvergne is nice too. It's on my list to return to soon. I want to see
that viaduct over the Gorge du Tarn
BMW R1150GS
Tim
2005-01-09 12:03:49 UTC
Post by Chris
I’d like to go on a biking holiday this year, Not to bothered about
what country although if I had to choose then maybe the States or
Canada.
If you go to Canada then there are two things to remember;

1. where speed limits apply they are rather zealously policed
2. filtering between lanes is illegal
--
Tim
http://www.stopharlownorth.com/
A.Lee
2005-01-09 12:36:08 UTC
I'd like to go on a biking holiday this year, Not to bothered about what
country .....
If I had the chance, and the spare time (2 kids is not good for the
single lifestyle!), I would go to the Czech Republic.Take a couple of days
to get there,stopping off in the Belgium Ardennes, then Germany, and take
a slow tour round Czech and maybe Slovakia.
Cheap accomodation and food away from the tourist haunts, lovely scenery
and quiet roads away from the motorways/main towns, there is then the
option of going South to Austria, or North into Poland, neither of which
I've been to, and would quite like to visit.
Alan.
http://www.dvatc.co.uk - Off-road cycling in the North Midlands.
The Older Gentleman
2005-01-09 13:01:53 UTC
Post by A.Lee
If I had the chance, and the spare time (2 kids is not good for the
single lifestyle!), I would go to the Czech Republic.
Indeed. went there with our bike club some years ago (although we took a
car, being family burdened).

Lovely country. The beer's good too. :-))

Timo Geusch
2005-01-09 14:03:44 UTC
Post by The Older Gentleman
Post by A.Lee
If I had the chance, and the spare time (2 kids is not good for the
single lifestyle!), I would go to the Czech Republic.
Indeed. went there with our bike club some years ago (although we took a
car, being family burdened).
Lovely country. The beer's good too. :-))
Not to mention the good and cheap food.
--
Timo Geusch
Morini Corsaro 125 | Husky SM 610S | CB450K4 | ST1100 | TS 250/1
The UKRM FAQ: http://www.ukrm.net/faq/index.html
Bear
2005-01-09 14:19:30 UTC
In article <***@nermal.unix-consult.com>, Timo Geusch
says...
Post by Timo Geusch
Post by The Older Gentleman
Post by A.Lee
If I had the chance, and the spare time (2 kids is not good for the
single lifestyle!), I would go to the Czech Republic.
Indeed. went there with our bike club some years ago (although we took a
car, being family burdened).
Lovely country. The beer's good too. :-))
Not to mention the good and cheap food.
Presumably, one of the things Long Way Round will do is encourage more
people to get further away on bikes ... which is no bad thing when you
think about it.
wessie
2005-01-09 14:50:48 UTC
Bear emerged from their own little world to say
Post by Bear
Presumably, one of the things Long Way Round will do is encourage more
people to get further away on bikes ... which is no bad thing when you
think about it.
Especially as the EU expansion means that your insurance will automaticaly
cover you to go further east. Slovenia is my recommendation. Alps in the
north west, Adriatic in the south west, nice capital less infested with
tourists than Prague, friendly people. It's probably the most westernised
of the former communist countries[1]. Go now before the place becomes
overyl commercialised and full of ex pats like France & Spain.

[1] As it borders Italy & Austria: Milosovic left them alone and their
culture is
BMW R1150GS
The Older Gentleman

wessie
2005-01-09 15:13:41 UTC
Post by The Older Gentleman
Post by wessie
[1] As it borders Italy & Austria: Milosovic left them alone and their
culture is
????
Non-existent?
Nebulous would be better
BMW R1150GS
Bear
2005-01-09 15:17:05 UTC
Post by Bear
Presumably, one of the things Long Way Round will do is encourage more
people to get further away on bikes ... which is no bad thing when you
think about it.
Especially as the EU expansion means that your insurance will automaticaly
cover you to go further east. Slovenia is my recommendation. Alps in the
north west, Adriatic in the south west, nice capital less infested with
tourists than Prague, friendly people. It's probably the most westernised
of the former communist countries[1]. Go now before the place becomes
overyl commercialised and full of ex pats like France & Spain.
Sounds lovely. How far away in miles?
--
Bear
"Don't believe the hype"
Today's music: Miles Davis "Kind Of Blue"
Colin Irvine
2005-01-09 15:26:16 UTC
Post by Bear
Presumably, one of the things Long Way Round will do is encourage more
people to get further away on bikes ... which is no bad thing when you
think about it.
Especially as the EU expansion means that your insurance will automaticaly
cover you to go further east. Slovenia is my recommendation. Alps in the
north west, Adriatic in the south west, nice capital less infested with
tourists than Prague, friendly people. It's probably the most westernised
of the former communist countries[1]. Go now before the place becomes
overyl commercialised and full of ex pats like France & Spain.
Sounds lovely.
Pardon me for butting in - it is. Bled is probably the prettiest place
I've ever been to.
Post by Bear
How far away in miles?
Roughly the same as southern France.
Bear
2005-01-09 15:38:50 UTC
In article <***@4ax.com>, Colin Irvine
says...
Post by Colin Irvine
Post by Bear
How far away in miles?
Roughly the same as southern France.
Did you ride or was this a fly/drive sort of deal?
Colin Irvine
2005-01-09 15:49:47 UTC
Post by Bear
says...
Post by Bear
How far away in miles?
Roughly the same as southern France.
Did you ride or was this a fly/drive sort of deal?
I drove (VW Microbus with 5 others en route to Katmandu). We didn't
find the natives on the coast particularly friendly (this was a few
decades ago!), but otherwise well worth a visit.

Pat and I are heading back to the Pyrenees this year, but we've
actually got the Dolomites and western Alps (so Switzerland, Austria,
Italy and Slovenia) pencilled in for next summer's bike tour - a few
days out, a week there and a few days back.
Bear
2005-01-09 16:58:00 UTC
In article <***@4ax.com>, Colin Irvine
says...
Post by Colin Irvine
Post by Bear
says...
Post by Bear
How far away in miles?
Roughly the same as southern France.
Did you ride or was this a fly/drive sort of deal?
I drove (VW Microbus with 5 others en route to Katmandu). We didn't
find the natives on the coast particularly friendly (this was a few
decades ago!), but otherwise well worth a visit.
Pat and I are heading back to the Pyrenees this year, but we've
actually got the Dolomites and western Alps (so Switzerland, Austria,
Italy and Slovenia) pencilled in for next summer's bike tour - a few
days out, a week there and a few days back.
God that sounds wonderful.
Lozzo
2005-01-09 17:00:48 UTC
Bear says...
Post by Bear
says...
Post by Colin Irvine
Pat and I are heading back to the Pyrenees this year, but we've
actually got the Dolomites and western Alps (so Switzerland, Austria,
Italy and Slovenia) pencilled in for next summer's bike tour - a few
days out, a week there and a few days back.
God that sounds wonderful.
That's pretty much what kind of trip I have planned for Malta 2006.
--
Lozzo
ZX-9R
In cunnis confidimus
Champ
2005-01-09 20:08:59 UTC
On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 15:49:47 +0000, Colin Irvine
Post by Colin Irvine
Post by Bear
How far away in miles?
Roughly the same as southern France.
Did you ride or was this a fly/drive sort of deal?
I drove (VW Microbus with 5 others en route to Katmandu).
Fuck me - you old hippie, you! I had no idea.
Champ
Bear
2005-01-09 20:26:27 UTC
Post by Colin Irvine
Post by Bear
How far away in miles?
Roughly the same as southern France.
Did you ride or was this a fly/drive sort of deal?
I drove (VW Microbus with 5 others en route to Katmandu).
Fuck me - you old hippie, you! I had no idea.
I wasn't shocked in the slightest.
Champ
2005-01-09 20:28:45 UTC
Post by Colin Irvine
Post by Bear
How far away in miles?
Roughly the same as southern France.
Did you ride or was this a fly/drive sort of deal?
I drove (VW Microbus with 5 others en route to Katmandu).
Fuck me - you old hippie, you! I had no idea.
I wasn't shocked in the slightest.
Butbutbut - he's an accountant! Talk about selling out to the man.
Champ
Bear
2005-01-09 20:35:51 UTC
Post by Champ
Post by Colin Irvine
Post by Bear
How far away in miles?
Roughly the same as southern France.
Did you ride or was this a fly/drive sort of deal?
I drove (VW Microbus with 5 others en route to Katmandu).
Fuck me - you old hippie, you! I had no idea.
I wasn't shocked in the slightest.
Butbutbut - he's an accountant! Talk about selling out to the man.
lol.

Come on ... he's a total weirdy beardy ... plays guitars, drinks real
ale, likes folk music ... it's a no-brainer.

Hey Colin, out of interest, what was Katmandu like?
Colin Irvine
2005-01-09 22:31:39 UTC
Post by Bear
Post by Champ
Butbutbut - he's an accountant! Talk about selling out to the man.
lol.
Come on ... he's a total weirdy beardy ... plays guitars, drinks real
ale, likes folk music ... it's a no-brainer.
Hey Colin, out of interest, what was Katmandu like?
Far out, man!

I really can't believe we spoke like that - makes me squirm now. Ganja
tea and hash cakes were legal there, but if you used them to cure
hask-induced hunger you ended up, as I did, in a vicious circle
culminating in the shits. Cured by eating opium, procured for me by
.... damn, can't remember his name. He was the son of Jerry Desmond
(Norman Wisdom's straight man). High point was an acid party in the
old bakery by the Monkey Temple just outside the city. Low point was
not seeing a single Himalaya (too much cloud).

The city was dirty but pretty, natives were friendly. Interesting food
(my "Buff Humbeega" turned out to be a buffalo hamburger) and amazing
buildings.

Right - I'll shut up now.
Bear
2005-01-09 23:06:59 UTC
Post by Colin Irvine
Post by Bear
Post by Champ
Butbutbut - he's an accountant! Talk about selling out to the man.
lol.
Come on ... he's a total weirdy beardy ... plays guitars, drinks real
ale, likes folk music ... it's a no-brainer.
Hey Colin, out of interest, what was Katmandu like?
Far out, man!
I really can't believe we spoke like that - makes me squirm now. Ganja
tea and hash cakes were legal there, but if you used them to cure
hask-induced hunger you ended up, as I did, in a vicious circle
culminating in the shits. Cured by eating opium, procured for me by
.... damn, can't remember his name. He was the son of Jerry Desmond
(Norman Wisdom's straight man). High point was an acid party in the
old bakery by the Monkey Temple just outside the city. Low point was
not seeing a single Himalaya (too much cloud).
*chortle*

I'm surprised you even noticed ;)
Post by Colin Irvine
The city was dirty but pretty, natives were friendly. Interesting food
(my "Buff Humbeega" turned out to be a buffalo hamburger) and amazing
buildings.
Right - I'll shut up now.
No it's cool ... I like hearing about that sort of thing.

Kids today, eh? No tolerance for strong drugs :)
Lozzo
2005-01-09 21:36:30 UTC
Bear says...
Post by Colin Irvine
Post by Bear
How far away in miles?
Roughly the same as southern France.
Did you ride or was this a fly/drive sort of deal?
I drove (VW Microbus with 5 others en route to Katmandu).
Fuck me - you old hippie, you! I had no idea.
I wasn't shocked in the slightest.
Nor was I.[1]

[1] Colin told me about this last March, when I picked up the
Thunderace.
--
Lozzo
ZX-9R
In cunnis confidimus
Colin Irvine
wessie
2005-01-09 15:29:09 UTC
Post by Bear
Presumably, one of the things Long Way Round will do is encourage
more people to get further away on bikes ... which is no bad thing
when you think about it.
Especially as the EU expansion means that your insurance will
automaticaly cover you to go further east. Slovenia is my
recommendation. Alps in the north west, Adriatic in the south west,
nice capital less infested with tourists than Prague, friendly
people. It's probably the most westernised of the former communist
countries[1]. Go now before the place becomes overyl commercialised
and full of ex pats like France & Spain.
Sounds lovely. How far away in miles?
Autoroute says 832 miles Calais to Bled [1] via Metz, Augsburg &
Salzburg. That journey itself goes through some lovely scenery once you
get into Champagne. I'd probably blast down the Autoroute, cross the
Rhine and stop in Germany at say Baden Baden. Then take a more scenic
route across the Black Forest & Bavaria with an overnight stop to imbibe
some more German beer.

Alternatively, blag a night with Ace.

[1] Bled would be my first stop in Slovenia. It's in the Alps not far
from the Austrian border and has a lovely lake.
BMW R1150GS
Bear
2005-01-09 15:38:30 UTC
Post by Bear
[...]
Doesn't sound too far away ... I presume one needs a visa?
wessie
2005-01-09 15:47:01 UTC
Post by Bear
Doesn't sound too far away ... I presume one needs a visa?
Nope. Slovenia is a member of the EU now.
BMW R1150GS
Bear
2005-01-09 16:58:50 UTC
Post by Bear
Doesn't sound too far away ... I presume one needs a visa?
Nope. Slovenia is a member of the EU now.
Really? Good lord ... have they taken the Euro on yet? [1]

[1] makes life so much easier
_ginge
2005-01-09 15:51:47 UTC
In article <***@News.individual.net>, Bear
says...
Post by Bear
Post by wessie
[1] Bled would be my first stop in Slovenia. It's in the Alps not far
from the Austrian border and has a lovely lake.
Doesn't sound too far away ... I presume one needs a visa?
No, any credit card will do.

Slovenia is now in the EU, so all you need is passport to travel over
the border. By 2007 they should have sorted out compliance with the
Schengen agreement and you'll be able to cross their borders even more
freely.
Paul Corfield
2005-01-09 15:53:25 UTC
On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 15:38:30 -0000, Bear <***@gmail.com>
wrote:

[slovenia]
Post by Bear
Doesn't sound too far away ... I presume one needs a visa?
why? - they are a member of the EU and thus there is free unhindered
travel between member states.
--
Paul C - "the big camp bastard" (tm d.a.r.s.y)
VFR800 | ZX6R | R1150GS
Lozzo
2005-01-09 15:56:33 UTC
Paul Corfield says...
Post by Paul Corfield
[slovenia]
Post by Bear
Doesn't sound too far away ... I presume one needs a visa?
why? - they are a member of the EU and thus there is free unhindered
travel between member states.
I really wish Malta hadn't joined the EU. It now means any old scumbag
can freely enter.
--
Lozzo
ZX-9R
In cunnis confidimus
Salad Dodger
2005-01-09 18:12:45 UTC
Post by Lozzo
Paul Corfield says...
Post by Paul Corfield
[slovenia]
Post by Bear
Doesn't sound too far away ... I presume one needs a visa?
why? - they are a member of the EU and thus there is free unhindered
travel between member states.
I really wish Malta hadn't joined the EU. It now means any old scumbag
can freely enter.
Fair's fair, they've been letting any old scumbag leave for years now.
'^'
Lozzo
2005-01-09 18:32:59 UTC
Salad Dodger says...
Post by Salad Dodger
Post by Lozzo
I really wish Malta hadn't joined the EU. It now means any old scumbag
can freely enter.
Fair's fair, they've been letting any old scumbag leave for years now.
That's not a very nice thing to say about Cab
--
Lozzo
ZX-9R
In cunnis confidimus
Salad Dodger
2005-01-09 18:36:51 UTC
Post by Lozzo
Salad Dodger says...
Post by Salad Dodger
Post by Lozzo
I really wish Malta hadn't joined the EU. It now means any old scumbag
can freely enter.
Fair's fair, they've been letting any old scumbag leave for years now.
That's not a very nice thing to say about Cab
It wasn't supposed to be.
'^'
Lozzo
2005-01-09 18:43:26 UTC
Salad Dodger says...
Post by Salad Dodger
Post by Lozzo
Salad Dodger says...
Post by Salad Dodger
Post by Lozzo
I really wish Malta hadn't joined the EU. It now means any old scumbag
can freely enter.
Fair's fair, they've been letting any old scumbag leave for years now.
That's not a very nice thing to say about Cab
It wasn't supposed to be.
You couldn't possibly have meant me, I've never lived there.
--
Lozzo
ZX-9R
In cunnis confidimus
Cab
2005-01-09 19:11:35 UTC
Post by Lozzo
Post by Lozzo
That's not a very nice thing to say about Cab
It wasn't supposed to be.
FOYRNB. I'll have you! Name your roundabout. ;-)
--
Cab :^) - As spiccy as L.o.z.z.o. (but European with it)
GSX 1400
email addy : ukrm_dot_cab_at_rosbif_dot_org
Preston Kemp
2005-01-09 13:28:46 UTC
Post by A.Lee
I'd like to go on a biking holiday this year, Not to bothered about
what country .....
If I had the chance, and the spare time (2 kids is not good for the
single lifestyle!), I would go to the Czech Republic.
That's my next trip - June this year. Czecho, Montenegro, Yugo,
Bulgaria & Turkey. Can't wait!

wessie
2005-01-09 13:51:05 UTC
Preston Kemp emerged from their own little world to say
Post by Preston Kemp
Post by A.Lee
I'd like to go on a biking holiday this year, Not to bothered about
what country .....
If I had the chance, and the spare time (2 kids is not good for the
single lifestyle!), I would go to the Czech Republic.
That's my next trip - June this year. Czecho, Montenegro, Yugo,
Bulgaria & Turkey. Can't wait!
Just seen on another forum
http://www.visit-croatia.co.uk/plitvicelakes/
http://www.world66.com/europe/croatia/plitvice
Looks cool.
BMW R1150GS
Chris
2005-01-09 16:18:41 UTC
Post by Preston Kemp
Post by A.Lee
I'd like to go on a biking holiday this year, Not to bothered about
what country .....
If I had the chance, and the spare time (2 kids is not good for the
single lifestyle!), I would go to the Czech Republic.
That's my next trip - June this year. Czecho, Montenegro, Yugo,
Bulgaria & Turkey. Can't wait!
Just seen on another forum
http://www.visit-croatia.co.uk/plitvicelakes/
http://www.world66.com/europe/croatia/plitvice
Looks cool.
On a bit of a side note I’ve been searching for a decent list of biker
friendly accommodation, does anyone have any decent links or know of a
decent book?
The Older Gentleman
2005-01-09 16:29:41 UTC
On a bit of a side note I've been searching for a decent list of biker
friendly accommodation, does anyone have any decent links or know of a
decent book?
Just about any hotel on the Continent. Seriously.
Chris
2005-01-09 18:00:41 UTC
Post by The Older Gentleman
On a bit of a side note I've been searching for a decent list of biker
friendly accommodation, does anyone have any decent links or know of a
decent book?
Just about any hotel on the Continent. Seriously.
Great. Good to know. Not like the uk then? I've lost count the times
I've been told 'sorry no bikers.' Hard to resist kicking up a stink in
reception, I wouldn't like to add to the already tarnished image biking
sadly has...
The Older Gentleman
2005-01-09 18:06:29 UTC
Post by Chris
Post by The Older Gentleman
On a bit of a side note I've been searching for a decent list of biker
friendly accommodation, does anyone have any decent links or know of a
decent book?
Just about any hotel on the Continent. Seriously.
Great. Good to know. Not like the uk then? I've lost count the times
I've been told 'sorry no bikers.' Hard to resist kicking up a stink in
reception, I wouldn't like to add to the already tarnished image biking
sadly has...
Not like the UK *at all*.
wessie
2005-01-09 18:18:46 UTC
Post by Chris
Post by The Older Gentleman
On a bit of a side note I've been searching for a decent list of
biker friendly accommodation, does anyone have any decent links or
know of a decent book?
Just about any hotel on the Continent. Seriously.
Great. Good to know. Not like the uk then? I've lost count the times
I've been told 'sorry no bikers.' Hard to resist kicking up a stink in
reception, I wouldn't like to add to the already tarnished image
biking sadly has...
Really? I've been riding bikes for over 12 years. I've never had a
problem with a B&B or hotel in the UK. I find that most places are
enlightened to the fact that someone riding 10 grands worth of bike,
with a grands worth of clothes on their back, is likely to be a good
source of income.

E.g. after I stayed with some friends at a place in Fort William the
owner added a page to his website specifically targetting bikers.
http://www.woodsidefortwilliam.co.uk/bikers.htm
BMW R1150GS
sweller
2005-01-09 20:00:52 UTC
Post by wessie
Really? I've been riding bikes for over 12 years. I've never had a
problem with a B&B or hotel in the UK. I find that most places are
enlightened to the fact that someone riding 10 grands worth of bike,
with a grands worth of clothes on their back, is likely to be a good
source of income.
That's about my experience (without the 10K bit). Fiona and I went on a
bike tour in the UK for our honeymoon. We didn't have any problems and I
was in the jeans and scruffy red lined jacket school of bike gear.
--
Simon

http://www.sweller.co.uk/sob/
Chris
2005-01-09 21:28:11 UTC
Post by Chris
Post by The Older Gentleman
[...]
I've found it to be around a 50/50 split, the most recent (August)
booked a B&B in Cornwall (Had a days Business there, travelling down
from the midlands) and last minute decided to take the bike seeing as I
had no kit to take, turned up only to be turned away, the bastard was
fecking hard faced about it, I wasn't even going to argue with the twat.
I've found that I get differing opinions from people, I myself have had
problems, must be me!
YTC#1
2005-01-09 22:25:11 UTC
Post by Chris
Post by wessie
Chris emerged from their own little world to say
<snip>>>
Post by Chris
Post by wessie
[...]
My SO and I have used many a B&B all over the country, never had a
problem. Always made welcome and often given secure parking foe bike(s).
Even been allowed to drive them up paths to be next to front door.

Maybe you just look dodgy ? :-)
--
Bruce Porter
XJR1300SP, XJ900F, GSX750W, GS550, GSX250, CB175
There *is* an alternative! http://www.openoffice.org/
wessie
2005-01-09 16:31:44 UTC
Chris emerged from their own little world to say
On a bit of a side note I've been searching for a decent list of biker
friendly accommodation, does anyone have any decent links or know of a
decent book?
Have a look at this forum
http://www.ukgser.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=7dad52efb6b6936cb9d22580e60b10c9&forumid=59

You can read the threads without subscribing. If you have a query
then register. It's free and you don't need a GS.

GS riders are some of the most widely travelled of all bikers.
BMW R1150GS
Bear
2005-01-09 17:00:51 UTC
Post by wessie
GS riders are some of the most widely travelled of all bikers.
Hardly surprising, given that it's part of why most people would buy an
RGS in the first place :)

The RGS is one of a *very* small number of non sportsbikes I'd actually
consider owning.
Lozzo
2005-01-09 17:03:27 UTC
Bear says...
Post by Bear
Post by wessie
GS riders are some of the most widely travelled of all bikers.
Hardly surprising, given that it's part of why most people would buy an
RGS in the first place :)
The RGS is one of a *very* small number of non sportsbikes I'd actually
consider owning.
So would I, if it was made by a Japanese company. I swear I'll never own
a BMW unless it is given to me FOC.
--
Lozzo
ZX-9R
In cunnis confidimus
Bear
2005-01-09 18:55:54 UTC
In article <***@news.individual.net>, Lozzo
says...
Post by Lozzo
Bear says...
Post by Bear
Post by wessie
GS riders are some of the most widely travelled of all bikers.
Hardly surprising, given that it's part of why most people would buy an
RGS in the first place :)
The RGS is one of a *very* small number of non sportsbikes I'd actually
consider owning.
So would I, if it was made by a Japanese company. I swear I'll never own
a BMW unless it is given to me FOC.
The "Long Way Round" RGS Adventures seemed to do ok ... broke rear
subframes which, considering they seemed to be using the Adventure's
luggage, is a bit disappointing, but they were carrying a lot of kit,
and dropped the bikes numerous times, which presumably isn't very good
news when you've got panniers on.

Otherwise they seemed fine ... although of course you never know which
bits have been replaced without you being told ...

... when I was dispatching, we had an ex-beemer mechanic working for us,
and he said the air cooled twins were pretty bulletproof, apart from
"The Four B"; Bings (carbs), Bearings (he replaced certain bearings on
all his beemers as soon as he bought them, but I can't recall which
ones), Bores and ... something I can't remember.

I'm struggling to think of one beemer *twin* (not the K engines) that
I've seen develop a major nasty ... but then I don't hang around with
beemer owners, so maybe I wouldn't have.
Lozzo
2005-01-09 19:01:03 UTC
Bear says...
Post by Bear
... when I was dispatching, we had an ex-beemer mechanic working for us,
and he said the air cooled twins were pretty bulletproof, apart from
"The Four B"; Bings (carbs), Bearings (he replaced certain bearings on
all his beemers as soon as he bought them, but I can't recall which
ones), Bores and ... something I can't remember.
Bike? BMW? Bottom end? Box?

I think we've covered everything there.
--
Lozzo
ZX-9R
In cunnis confidimus
Bear
2005-01-09 19:16:00 UTC
In article <***@news.individual.net>, Lozzo
says...
Post by Lozzo
Bear says...
Post by Bear
... when I was dispatching, we had an ex-beemer mechanic working for us,
and he said the air cooled twins were pretty bulletproof, apart from
"The Four B"; Bings (carbs), Bearings (he replaced certain bearings on
all his beemers as soon as he bought them, but I can't recall which
ones), Bores and ... something I can't remember.
Bike? BMW? Bottom end? Box?
Box sounds familiar, meaning gearbox I guess? Not sure. Soz.

He got a dispatch R80 past 150,000 miles, so I presume he knew his
stuff. I pointed out to him it was a piece of shit, but he replied it
was a POS when he got it, and had done over 100,000 miles since ...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not pro-beemer, I just don't think the twins are
quite as bad as you say. The Ks, sure, but lots of round-the-world types
and dispatchers use them.
The Older Gentleman
2005-01-09 19:03:38 UTC
Post by Bear
I'm struggling to think of one beemer *twin* (not the K engines) that
I've seen develop a major nasty ... but then I don't hang around with
beemer owners, so maybe I wouldn't have.
Gearboxes, gearboxes, gearboxes......
prawn
2005-01-10 08:49:26 UTC
Post by The Older Gentleman
Post by Bear
I'm struggling to think of one beemer *twin* (not the K engines) that
I've seen develop a major nasty ... but then I don't hang around with
beemer owners, so maybe I wouldn't have.
Gearboxes, gearboxes, gearboxes......
*waves*. Gearbox lay shaft evaporated.
prawn
M. J. Freeman
2005-01-09 16:05:12 UTC
I’d like to go on a biking holiday this year, Not to bothered
about what country although if I had to choose then maybe the
States or Canada.
I wouldn't come here (the U.S.). We've got bugger all in terms of
motorcycle rentals. Unless you like paying through the nose to ride a
Harley, that is.

If you afford to buy, or know someone from whom you can borrow, a bike,
then I'd recommend northern Georgia/eastern Tennessee.

See:
http://www.twowheelsonly.com/
http://www.dealsgap.com/
http://www.cherohala.com/
--
Michael J. Freeman ***@SPMBLOKmac.com
'85 VF700S (The Leper) Cincinnati, OH, USA
'99 GSF1200S (The Evil Bandit) ...it practically gallops"
wessie
2005-01-09 16:12:16 UTC
M. J. Freeman emerged from their own little world to say
Post by M. J. Freeman
I’d like to go on a biking holiday this year, Not to bothered
about what country although if I had to choose then maybe the
States or Canada.
I wouldn't come here (the U.S.). We've got bugger all in terms of
motorcycle rentals. Unless you like paying through the nose to ride a
Harley, that is.
If you afford to buy, or know someone from whom you can borrow, a bike,
then I'd recommend northern Georgia/eastern Tennessee.
http://www.hctravel.co.uk/usarentloc.htm can provide other makes of bike.
Still expensive though, once all the insurance is added. A 1150 BMW costs
about 600 quid a week.
BMW R1150GS
Salad Dodger
2005-01-09 18:09:40 UTC
http://mtsma.com/
'^'
HooDooWitch
2005-01-10 14:09:19 UTC
http://roundtheentirefuckingunitedstatesrally.com ?
--
HooDooWitch
http://www.ianwhitephoto.co.uk
I'm aiming high, and I'm willing to shoot.
Richard Giles
2005-01-10 14:54:30 UTC
On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 14:09:19 +0000, HooDooWitch
<***@OVE.hindcottage.co.uk> wrote:

[snip]
Post by HooDooWitch
http://roundtheentirefuckingunitedstatesrally.com ?