Torque wrench
Nige
2011-06-13 18:58:05 UTC
I'm after one, not wanting to spend much money, mainly for bike use, but a
bit of car use, so 3/8ths drive is probably best.

Anyone got any recommendations, or avoiders?

Cheers

Nige
petrolcan
2011-06-13 19:20:30 UTC
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-34570-88-5-708-Inch-Pounds-Ratchet/dp/B0001K9T2O
Nige
2011-06-13 19:32:37 UTC
Post by petrolcan
Post by Nige
I'm after one, not wanting to spend much money, mainly for bike use, but a
bit of car use, so 3/8ths drive is probably best.
Anyone got any recommendations, or avoiders?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-34570-88-5-708-Inch-Pounds-Ratchet/dp/B0001K9T2O
That looks just the job, draper stuff is usually ok.

It's not as if I'm gonna have it in bits every five minutes.

Ta
M.Badger
2011-06-13 20:03:37 UTC
Post by Nige
Post by Nige
That looks just the job, draper stuff is usually ok.
It's not as if I'm gonna have it in bits every five minutes.
Ta
Seconded on the Draper. The reviewers who don't get how to use the scale
need a bit of a twatting. Piss easy to set.
I currently use it and its bigger brother. They replaced a pair of the
ubiquitous Norbars. In common with a lot of Norbar users, the twiddle knob (
oo-er ) fell off, the scale window clouded up and I lost the square bits.
Got many years service out of them though.
Either that or spend a bit more and get a Halfords Pro, just don't lose the
bugger or you'll end up on Amazon buying the Draper ;-)
The Older Gentleman
2011-06-13 20:23:32 UTC
Post by M.Badger
.
I currently use it and its bigger brother. They replaced a pair of the
ubiquitous Norbars. In common with a lot of Norbar users, the twiddle knob (
oo-er ) fell off, the scale window clouded up and I lost the square bits.
Got many years service out of them though.
Blimey. Whatever happened to Norbar? Mine is over 30 years old and still
perfect.
--
BMW K1100LT Ducati 750SS Kawasaki GPz750 Honda CB400F
Triumph Street Triple Suzuki TS250ERx2 GN250.
chateau dot murray at idnet dot com
M.Badger
2011-06-13 21:03:00 UTC
Post by The Older Gentleman
Post by M.Badger
.
I currently use it and its bigger brother. They replaced a pair of the
ubiquitous Norbars. In common with a lot of Norbar users, the twiddle
knob ( oo-er ) fell off, the scale window clouded up and I lost the
square bits. Got many years service out of them though.
Blimey. Whatever happened to Norbar? Mine is over 30 years old and still
perfect.
Norbar are still going, and still producing good wrenches. The newer ones
have the drive bit captive in the head now. I think they've dropped from the
retail market though. For my use, I couldn't justify the cost of a
TruTorque. Tool Porn!
www.norbar.com
R C Nesbit
2011-06-14 14:22:26 UTC
Post by M.Badger
Norbar are still going, and still producing good wrenches. The newer ones
have the drive bit captive in the head now. I think they've dropped from the
retail market though. For my use, I couldn't justify the cost of a
TruTorque. Tool Porn!
www.norbar.com
Eee - the Distributors page on that site sends me down memory lane!
Buck & Hickman, Monks & Crane, Till & Whithead!

The B&H cataloge was our bible!
--
Rob_P
UKRM(at)indqualtec.co.uk
Looks like Rab C Nesbit.
Lozzo
2011-06-13 23:35:06 UTC
Post by The Older Gentleman
Post by M.Badger
.
I currently use it and its bigger brother. They replaced a pair of
the ubiquitous Norbars. In common with a lot of Norbar users, the
twiddle knob ( oo-er ) fell off, the scale window clouded up and I
lost the square bits. Got many years service out of them though.
Blimey. Whatever happened to Norbar? Mine is over 30 years old and
still perfect.
It's only perfect if it's been calibrated recently
--
Lozzo
Versys 650 Inter-Continental Hyperbolistic Missile , CBR600F-W racebike
they churn out)
The Older Gentleman
Grimly Curmudgeon
2011-06-15 00:35:40 UTC
Post by Lozzo
Post by The Older Gentleman
Blimey. Whatever happened to Norbar? Mine is over 30 years old and
still perfect.
It's only perfect if it's been calibrated recently
I have a Norbar-alike and am fairly sure it's still reasonably accurate.
I've never stored it with the spring wound up and hate those cunts who
do.
Whatever happened to those torque wrenches with the pointer along the
shaft, which indicated the figure against a quadrant scale as the shaft
bent? Crude, but effective.

TMack
2011-06-13 20:02:29 UTC
Post by Nige
Post by Nige
That looks just the job, draper stuff is usually ok.
It's not as if I'm gonna have it in bits every five minutes.
Ta
80nm is only 60 ft-lbs. This probably won't be enough for some things you
may want to do - e.g. the front sprocket nut and the nut holding the
clutch basket on most bikes need to be torqued well in excess of this.
Ideally you need two torque wrenches - one for the smaller stuff like the
bolts that hold engine covers in place and another one for the big stuff
--
Tony
'04 Ducati ST3, '08 DL650GT,
97 TW200, '87 semi-rat LS650, OMF#24
Steve
2011-06-13 21:20:32 UTC
80nm is only 60 ft-lbs.  This probably won't be enough for some things you
may want to do - e.g. the front sprocket nut and the nut holding the
clutch basket on most bikes need to be torqued well in excess of this.
Ideally you need two torque wrenches - one for the smaller stuff like the
bolts that hold engine covers in place and another one for the big stuff
If I need a breaker bar to get it off 2 grunts is usually used to put
it back on.

Steve
Ian Field
2011-06-13 20:46:32 UTC
Post by Nige
Post by petrolcan
Post by Nige
I'm after one, not wanting to spend much money, mainly for bike use, but a
bit of car use, so 3/8ths drive is probably best.
Anyone got any recommendations, or avoiders?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-34570-88-5-708-Inch-Pounds-Ratchet/dp/B0001K9T2O
That looks just the job, draper stuff is usually ok.
Not that impressed with 'em meself.

When I was shopping for a large g-clamp the only store with any big enough,
stocked Draper.

I could see from across the shop the row of g-clamps hanging on pegs - all
of them had crooked screw fitting.

If you buy one of their torque wrenches, you'd better hope they made at
least a half arsed attempt at precision.
Krusty
2011-06-13 19:59:11 UTC
Post by Nige
I'm after one, not wanting to spend much money, mainly for bike use,
but a bit of car use, so 3/8ths drive is probably best.
Anyone got any recommendations
Halfords Pro. Makes life so much easier if/when it breaks.
--
Krusty

Raptor 1000 MV 750 Senna Tiger 885 Fantic Hiro 250
Steve
2011-06-13 21:19:02 UTC
Post by Nige
I'm after one, not wanting to spend much money, mainly for bike use, but a
bit of car use, so 3/8ths drive is probably  best.
Anyone got any recommendations, or avoiders?
Jolly pleased with my Sykes Pickavant. Had it for 20 or so years
though so i've no idea if they are still good.

Steve
Andy B
2011-06-13 21:36:19 UTC
Post by Nige
I'm after one, not wanting to spend much money, mainly for bike use, but a
bit of car use, so 3/8ths drive is probably best.
Anyone got any recommendations, or avoiders?
Cheers
Buy a decent quality one from Ebay rather than a cheap one brand new. I
can check it for accuracy in our workshops at some point in the next 12
months or you can use the old favourite of checking it against some
fasteners that you know are torqued up correctly.
antonye
2011-06-13 23:41:13 UTC
Post by Nige
I'm after one, not wanting to spend much money, mainly for bike use, but a
bit of car use, so 3/8ths drive is probably  best.
Anyone got any recommendations, or avoiders?
Buy two - one for "low value" settings, eg 10-80Nm, and the other
for doing the heavy stuff, 80Nm-200Nm. You won't get a "cheap" one
that will be accurate (enough) across the whole range, imo.

If you're really posh, get a digital vibrating Snap-On. Oo-er.

--
Antony