OT: Oh dear...
Wicked Uncle Nigel
2007-11-03 23:19:23 UTC
I've just rediscovered the twin delights of decent headphones and my
iTunes AC/DC collection.

Blood from your ears, that's normal, right?
--
Wicked Uncle Nigel - "He's hopeless, but he's honest"

WS* GHPOTHUF#24 APOSTLE#14 DLC#1 COFF#20 BOTAFOT#150 HYPO#0(KoTL) IbW#41
SBS#39 OMF#6 Enfield 500 Curry House Racer "The Basmati Rice Burner",
Honda GL1000K2 (Fallen apart) Suzuki TS250 "The Africa Single"
Norton 850 Commando Kawasaki GTR1400
muddy cat
2007-11-03 23:39:10 UTC
Post by Wicked Uncle Nigel
I've just rediscovered the twin delights of decent headphones and my
iTunes AC/DC collection.
What do you consider 'decent'? I quite like the Bose noise canceling but
the price is a bit much.
Post by Wicked Uncle Nigel
Blood from your ears, that's normal, right?
heh

I have to turn it up loud just to hear it.
--
Muddy

Show me the way
doetnietcomputeren
2007-11-03 23:46:16 UTC
Post by muddy cat
Post by Wicked Uncle Nigel
I've just rediscovered the twin delights of decent headphones and my
iTunes AC/DC collection.
What do you consider 'decent'? I quite like the Bose noise canceling but
the price is a bit much.
I tried a pair of those when I was back in Blighty, fantastic they are.
The price, in pounds, is however, way beyong what I could justify.

Now, if I look at them in dollars, and use the current exchange rates, I
could probably convince myself that they are a want, need, must have,
surely will die without bargain.

and then I remember that I'm paid in dollars. The headphones, however,
are still great.
Dnc
Wicked Uncle Nigel
2007-11-03 23:44:30 UTC
Using the patented Mavis Beacon "Hunt&Peck" Technique,
Post by doetnietcomputeren
Post by muddy cat
Post by Wicked Uncle Nigel
I've just rediscovered the twin delights of decent headphones and my
iTunes AC/DC collection.
What do you consider 'decent'? I quite like the Bose noise canceling
but the price is a bit much.
I tried a pair of those when I was back in Blighty, fantastic they are.
If you spend any amount of time on airliners they are worth every
fucking penny.

doetnietcomputeren
2007-11-03 23:57:14 UTC
Post by Wicked Uncle Nigel
Post by doetnietcomputeren
I tried a pair of those when I was back in Blighty, fantastic they are.
If you spend any amount of time on airliners they are worth every
fucking penny.
I do, but, I fly "carry on" only, so have to limit my luggage volume. I
have a pair of Sony noise cancelling earphones instead.

These, in fact: http://shorterlink.com/?G9N6P3 (Amazon).

They don't rock as mightily as the Bose, but, they are pretty good on a
plane. Last week I flew back from Chicago and was very please to not
hear the child that was screaming on the other side of the aisle - and
without having to turn the volume so loud that my ears bled.
Dnc
Wicked Uncle Nigel
2007-11-03 23:57:39 UTC
Post by Wicked Uncle Nigel
Post by doetnietcomputeren
I tried a pair of those when I was back in Blighty, fantastic they are.
If you spend any amount of time on airliners they are worth every
fucking penny.
I do, but, I fly "carry on" only, so have to limit my luggage volume. I
have a pair of Sony noise cancelling earphones instead.
These, in fact: http://shorterlink.com/?G9N6P3 (Amazon).
They don't rock as mightily as the Bose, but, they are pretty good on a
plane. Last week I flew back from Chicago and was very please to not
hear the child that was screaming on the other side of the aisle - and
without having to turn the volume so loud that my ears bled.
I really cannot see why strangling a screaming kid on an airliner is not
legal. Using the corpse to beat the simpering parents to death should
just be a bonus.

I may start an airline where that's one of the terms and conditions.

doetnietcomputeren
2007-11-04 00:06:17 UTC
Post by Wicked Uncle Nigel
I really cannot see why strangling a screaming kid on an airliner is not
legal. Using the corpse to beat the simpering parents to death should
just be a bonus.
I understand the sentiment, but, with noise canceling equipment, those
screamers just go away. Problem solved.
Post by Wicked Uncle Nigel
I may start an airline where that's one of the terms and conditions.
Along with decent looking trolly dollies. Naked natch.
Dnc
Wicked Uncle Nigel
2007-11-04 00:07:55 UTC
Post by Wicked Uncle Nigel
I really cannot see why strangling a screaming kid on an airliner is
not legal. Using the corpse to beat the simpering parents to death
should just be a bonus.
I understand the sentiment, but, with noise canceling equipment, those
screamers just go away. Problem solved.
Well, yes. But I *like* the idea of killing the grizzling little cunt,
and preventing the parents from breeding a replacement. Would you spoil
all my fun?
Post by Wicked Uncle Nigel
I may start an airline where that's one of the terms and conditions.
Along with decent looking trolly dollies. Naked natch.
Oh yes, with in-flight porn movies. And complimentary and compulsory
alcohol and bacon sarnies. Might as well keep the hi-jackers at bay.

We need a way to make business-class exclusive...

<fx: light bulb>

The trolley dollies only swallow in biz-class. Tourist is strictly a
spit-zone.

It's fucking genius, I tell you.

Tunku
2007-11-04 08:03:08 UTC
Post by Wicked Uncle Nigel
I really cannot see why strangling a screaming kid on an airliner is not
legal. Using the corpse to beat the simpering parents to death should
just be a bonus.
I may start an airline where that's one of the terms and conditions.
May I suggest McCann Airways as a name?
--
Tunku

"Caution : traces of irony and other metallic objects may be present in the
above post"
Mark Olson
2007-11-04 00:07:21 UTC
Post by Wicked Uncle Nigel
Post by doetnietcomputeren
I tried a pair of those when I was back in Blighty, fantastic they are.
If you spend any amount of time on airliners they are worth every
fucking penny.
I do, but, I fly "carry on" only, so have to limit my luggage volume. I
have a pair of Sony noise cancelling earphones instead.
These, in fact: http://shorterlink.com/?G9N6P3 (Amazon).
They don't rock as mightily as the Bose, but, they are pretty good on a
plane. Last week I flew back from Chicago and was very please to not
hear the child that was screaming on the other side of the aisle - and
without having to turn the volume so loud that my ears bled.
I bought a pair of Maxell NC-II noise cancelling headphones before
my last transatlantic flight. Probably not quite as effective as
the Bose offering but they are quite nice (including a nylon
drawstring carry bag & airline plug adapter) and they do knock
down the cabin noise quite a bit. 50 hours claimed run time on
two AA cells. For a mere $35 you can't go wrong.
--
'01 SV650S '99 EX250-F13 '98 ZG1000-A13
OMF #7
muddy cat
2007-11-04 01:08:22 UTC
Post by muddy cat
Post by Wicked Uncle Nigel
I've just rediscovered the twin delights of decent headphones and my
iTunes AC/DC collection.
What do you consider 'decent'? I quite like the Bose noise canceling
but the price is a bit much.
I tried a pair of those when I was back in Blighty, fantastic they are.
If you spend any amount of time on airliners they are worth every
fucking penny.
Yep, I had a chance to try them once on a long flight. I did not want to
give them back.
--
Muddy

Show me the way
Wicked Uncle Nigel
2007-11-04 01:07:09 UTC
Using the patented Mavis Beacon "Hunt&Peck" Technique, muddy cat
Post by muddy cat
Post by Wicked Uncle Nigel
I've just rediscovered the twin delights of decent headphones and my
iTunes AC/DC collection.
What do you consider 'decent'? I quite like the Bose noise canceling
but the price is a bit much.
I tried a pair of those when I was back in Blighty, fantastic they are.
If you spend any amount of time on airliners they are worth every
fucking penny.
Yep, I had a chance to try them once on a long flight. I did not want to
give them back.
"Run, Forrest, Ruuuuuun!".

muddy cat
2007-11-04 01:12:09 UTC
Post by muddy cat
Post by Wicked Uncle Nigel
I've just rediscovered the twin delights of decent headphones and my
iTunes AC/DC collection.
What do you consider 'decent'? I quite like the Bose noise canceling
but the price is a bit much.
I tried a pair of those when I was back in Blighty, fantastic they are.
If you spend any amount of time on airliners they are worth every
fucking penny.
Yep, I had a chance to try them once on a long flight. I did not want to
give them back.
"Run, Forrest, Ruuuuuun!".
WTF are you doing up so late?
--
Muddy

Show me the way
Wicked Uncle Nigel
2007-11-04 01:09:47 UTC
Post by muddy cat
Post by Wicked Uncle Nigel
I've just rediscovered the twin delights of decent headphones and my
iTunes AC/DC collection.
What do you consider 'decent'? I quite like the Bose noise canceling
but the price is a bit much.
I tried a pair of those when I was back in Blighty, fantastic they are.
If you spend any amount of time on airliners they are worth every
fucking penny.
Yep, I had a chance to try them once on a long flight. I did not want to
give them back.
"Run, Forrest, Ruuuuuun!".
WTF are you doing up so late?
It's the weekend. I don't have to be up in the morning. And I have beer.

Next!

muddy cat
2007-11-04 01:15:47 UTC
Post by muddy cat
Post by Wicked Uncle Nigel
I've just rediscovered the twin delights of decent headphones and my
iTunes AC/DC collection.
What do you consider 'decent'? I quite like the Bose noise canceling
but the price is a bit much.
I tried a pair of those when I was back in Blighty, fantastic they are.
If you spend any amount of time on airliners they are worth every
fucking penny.
Yep, I had a chance to try them once on a long flight. I did not want to
give them back.
"Run, Forrest, Ruuuuuun!".
WTF are you doing up so late?
It's the weekend. I don't have to be up in the morning. And I have beer.
Next!
Ah. I have Downtown Brown.

http://www.lostcoast.com/
--
Muddy

Show me the way
Wicked Uncle Nigel
2007-11-04 01:18:36 UTC
Post by muddy cat
WTF are you doing up so late?
It's the weekend. I don't have to be up in the morning. And I have beer.
Next!
Ah. I have Downtown Brown.
http://www.lostcoast.com/
Looks nice. "Alleycat Amber"? ;^)

I found this:

http://www.dambrewery.com/

last time I was over there. Very good it was, too.

I'm ashamed to say that I've been drinking Essex Nectar[1] this evening.
What can I say? It was available.

Time for my pit, I think. G'night.

[1] Stella

muddy cat
2007-11-04 01:27:19 UTC
Post by muddy cat
WTF are you doing up so late?
It's the weekend. I don't have to be up in the morning. And I have beer.
Next!
Ah. I have Downtown Brown.
http://www.lostcoast.com/
Looks nice. "Alleycat Amber"? ;^)
heh

I haven't tried that yet.
Post by Wicked Uncle Nigel
http://www.dambrewery.com/
last time I was over there. Very good it was, too.
They ship too.
Post by Wicked Uncle Nigel
I'm ashamed to say that I've been drinking Essex Nectar[1] this evening.
What can I say? It was available.
Time for my pit, I think. G'night.
TTFN
Post by Wicked Uncle Nigel
[1] Stella
Not a fav of mine.
--
Muddy

Show me the way
Wicked Uncle Nigel
2007-11-03 23:42:32 UTC
Post by muddy cat
Post by Wicked Uncle Nigel
I've just rediscovered the twin delights of decent headphones and my
iTunes AC/DC collection.
What do you consider 'decent'? I quite like the Bose noise canceling but
the price is a bit much.
Them's the ones, they were a present from Mrs WUN. The noise-cancelling
appears to be non-functional this evening...

muddy cat
2007-11-04 01:06:57 UTC
Post by muddy cat
Post by Wicked Uncle Nigel
I've just rediscovered the twin delights of decent headphones and my
iTunes AC/DC collection.
What do you consider 'decent'? I quite like the Bose noise canceling but
the price is a bit much.
Them's the ones, they were a present from Mrs WUN. The noise-cancelling
appears to be non-functional this evening...
you can hear her then?
--
Muddy

Show me the way
Wicked Uncle Nigel

muddy cat

Show me the way
Timo Geusch
2007-11-04 08:06:17 UTC
Post by muddy cat
Post by Wicked Uncle Nigel
I've just rediscovered the twin delights of decent headphones and my
iTunes AC/DC collection.
What do you consider 'decent'? I quite like the Bose noise canceling but
the price is a bit much.
Them's the ones, they were a present from Mrs WUN. The
noise-cancelling appears to be non-functional this evening...
Looking at inappropriate vehicles on ebay? I think there's some kind of
override that stops any noise-cancelling device from working in those
circumstances.
--
Morini Corsaro 125 | CB450K4 | XL250 Motosport | 900SSD | K1100LT
Laverda SF2 | Harley FXD BOTAFOF #33 TWA#10
"Je profite du paysage" - Joe Bar
Lady Nina
2007-11-04 04:18:36 UTC
On Sat, 3 Nov 2007 23:19:23 +0000, Wicked Uncle Nigel
Post by Wicked Uncle Nigel
I've just rediscovered the twin delights of decent headphones and my
iTunes AC/DC collection.
Pah, unless you danced round the room then it doesn't count.

I've rediscovered cheesy rock. I'm just in from a trip to Rock City,
first time I've been in about 4 years and it was absolutely fucking
brilliant. I shall spare you the list of tracks, but AC/DC featured.
I'm most impressed with the stuff you don't normally hear in a night
club. They played the long version of radar love, carry on my wayward
son and here I go again, none of which I've heard in a club since the
late 80s. I am in cheesy rock heaven.
Post by Wicked Uncle Nigel
Blood from your ears, that's normal, right?
<checks> Yes.
--
Lady Nina
Singing cheesy rock songs.
doetnietcomputeren
2007-11-04 04:34:02 UTC
Post by Lady Nina
They played the long version of radar love, carry on my wayward
son and here I go again, none of which I've heard in a club since the
late 80s. I am in cheesy rock heaven.
Blimey - in the main room? or downstairs/next door, whatever it's called
these days?
Dnc
Lady Nina
2007-11-05 20:07:59 UTC
On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 21:34:02 -0700, doetnietcomputeren
Post by Lady Nina
They played the long version of radar love, carry on my wayward
son and here I go again, none of which I've heard in a club since the
late 80s. I am in cheesy rock heaven.
Blimey - in the main room? or downstairs/next door, whatever it's called
these days?
In The Rig which is downstairs. The upstairs room was playing
Metallica and Manson when I briefly ventured up there. The tiny room
was playing something industrial sounding that darsy would have
enjoyed.
--
Lady Nina
hates sat nav, Bristol and people not necessarily in that order.
platypus
2007-11-05 23:07:54 UTC
The tiny room was playing something industrial sounding that darsy would
have enjoyed.
Prolly the aircon going off a bit.

BGN
2007-11-04 08:22:24 UTC
Post by Wicked Uncle Nigel
I've just rediscovered the twin delights of decent headphones and my
iTunes AC/DC collection.
Blood from your ears, that's normal, right?
Yes.

Unless it's from an iPod.

Paging iPod owners: I bought an 80Gb iPod Classic in OTC/Silver
a couple of months ago thinking it would be quite good as an audio
reproduction device and got some Bose in-ear headphones
them.

The sound from the iPod all appears to be there but if anything is
slightly loud then it pops, and having any kind of EQ turned on is far
from ideal as that makes anything crackle. Even without the EQ on the
crackle is still there if the volume is up a bit.

The earphones are fine when I use them in my iRiver or Nokia n95.

I've also plugged my Bose QuietComfort 2 Acoustic Noise Cancelling
headphones into the iPod Classic and the sound output from the Ehpod
just doesn't appear to be very good. To get a decent range out of it
I have to change the Bose QC2's from 'decent audio device' mode
(Hifi/iRiver/n95) to 'Shitty audio device mode' (99p radios/most
aircraft).

I'm sure there must be an unbiased Apple user out there who might be
able to clarify that the iPod is supposed to give out half-hearted
audio or not.
--
-- Nick ICQ: 9235201 EMAIL & MSN: ***@spamcop.net
-- Triumph Tiger 955i -- http://www.bgn.me.uk -- Touch -
-- LOTR#4 SKOGA#8 DS#7 BOTAFOT#159 BOTM#2 FBOTY#06 PM#11
sweller
2007-11-04 08:30:14 UTC
Post by BGN
I'm sure there must be an unbiased Apple user out there who might be
able to clarify that the iPod is supposed to give out half-hearted
audio or not.
I tend to listen to spoken word podcasts or The Fall so I've not noticed.
Simon
Timo Geusch
2007-11-04 08:42:05 UTC
<http://media.arstechnica.com/journals/apple.media/ipodunboxing_big9.jpg>
<http://www.tech2.com/media/images/img_2928_ear_plug.jpg> to go with
[...]
Well, I have an iPod but I'm not an Apple fanboi, if that helps...

Yes, compared to an iRiver (at least my H120), the sound quality of the
iPod is a tad deficient. However, my 60GB iPod certainly doesn't exhibit
the kind of behaviour that you describe. Just out of interest, did you
try the original earphones (yes, I know they're shite) to see if you get
the same problems with those as you do with the Bose stuff?

There are rumours about that the sound quality of recent iPods isn't
getting any better (rather the opposite, actually) but I don't have
anything to compare mine against iPod-wise. If I wasn't such a busy/lazy
cnut I'd probably stick a 40GB disk into my iRiver...

Anyway, did you get the crackling with the QC2s as well? Or just
slightly inferior sound quality. Keep in mind (and the Bose fanboyz
probably don't want to hear that) that Bose systems may sound good to
your ear but they're not necessarily known for their accurate
reproduction of music either. So it may be a strange interaction between
your headphones' electronics and the iPod.

IOW, see if you can test the iPod with some decent conventional
headphones instead.

I assume that the music you were listening to also was ripped at a
suitably high bitrate? AAC @ 128k sounds pretty reasonable but it does
sound a heck of a lot better at 160 or 192.
BGN
2007-11-04 10:06:05 UTC
On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 08:42:05 +0000, Timo Geusch
Post by Timo Geusch
Post by BGN
Post by Wicked Uncle Nigel
[...]
Snap. I've got a H120 too (Which was running Linux at one point,
fear) and compared to that the iPod audio output is somewhat lacking.

It's worth noting that pretty much all of the devices which sound fine
with most earphones (and iRiver H120) I use feature SRS WOW
technology. The iPod doesn't.
Post by Timo Geusch
However, my 60GB iPod certainly doesn't exhibit
the kind of behaviour that you describe. Just out of interest, did you
try the original earphones (yes, I know they're shite) to see if you get
the same problems with those as you do with the Bose stuff?
I've got the non-colour matched WHITE iPod earphones my BLACK iPod
Classic came with in front of me, still in their plastic wrapper. I
was speaking to the Apple Store bod in Bluewater and when I asked
about the quality of the earphones the iPod shipped with she said that
they're just "normal earphones" and they crackle so I got some Bose
ones instead.

<unwraps iPod earphones and sticks them in iPod>

It's difficult to make any judgement of sound quality with these white
iPod earphones on the grounds that they sound like cheap 50p things
which get given away on short haul charter flights for the children.

There is no bass at all, that's for sure, the the tinny reproduction
isn't all that hot either. But that's because they cost apple about
50p I imagine.
Post by Timo Geusch
There are rumours about that the sound quality of recent iPods isn't
getting any better (rather the opposite, actually) but I don't have
anything to compare mine against iPod-wise.
I haven't had an iPod before and rather innocently assumed that as
Apple fanboys are always banging away about how everything with
"Apple" written on it is fucking fantastic and cannot possibly be made
any better design of quality wise then the new iPod Classic would have
the kind of sound reproduction I would expect from an expensive MP3
player.

It's a shame this isn't true. It's a dedicated audio device which
also does photos, a handful of games and some variable quality video -
one would have thought that Apple would have spent more than five
minutes on making the audio coming out of anything other than
sub-standard.

It's all well and good having a nice pretty "oooooh!" user interface
but if the final product, the audio, is poo then it's not really much
good to me as an audio device.
Post by Timo Geusch
Anyway, did you get the crackling with the QC2s as well? Or just
slightly inferior sound quality.
Not so much crackling with the QC2s, just inferior sound quality. The
Bose in-ear phones give excellent quality sound from my iRiver, hi-fi
and n95 with rich higher tones and bass at the same time. But plug
them into my iPod Classic...
Post by Timo Geusch
...Keep in mind (and the Bose fanboyz
probably don't want to hear that) that Bose systems may sound good to
your ear but they're not necessarily known for their accurate
reproduction of music either.
All I know about the Bose range of headphones is that they give me
good quality music, speech and silence (in the case of the QC2s). And
with regards to the Bose in-ear phones they're the best *ear*phones
I've used which reproduce bass and the rest of the range very well.
Post by Timo Geusch
...So it may be a strange interaction between
your headphones' electronics and the iPod.
IOW, see if you can test the iPod with some decent conventional
headphones instead.
I turned the EQ/sound check/etc off on the iPod and plugged them into
the Line-In on my hifi and the sound just rather weak. Turning the EQ
back on gives some crackles. I wonder if the modification to the
audio for the EQ is by dodgy software on the iPod which is up-to-date
using v1.0.2PC software. Whatever if it is, I'm not impressed with it
as an audio device.
Post by Timo Geusch
I assume that the music you were listening to also was ripped at a
sound a heck of a lot better at 160 or 192.
I used to have all of my audio ripped in the OGG format as WinAmp, my
iRiver and n95 was happy to play them. They were 128kb/sec min &
320kb/sec max VBR using the HQ encoding options. However, due to a
decision by Apple the iPod Classic doesn't appear to be able to play
anything other than MP3 or AAC files. I've re-ripped (from the
original CDs) about 4Gb of MP3's (new technology takes a step
backwards...) using mostly iTunes @ 192Kb/sec static as that'll work
with pretty much anything.
sweller
2007-11-04 10:11:53 UTC
Post by BGN
It's difficult to make any judgement of sound quality with these white
iPod earphones on the grounds that they sound like cheap 50p things
which get given away on short haul charter flights for the children.
I bought a pair of KOSS plug type for a tenner (they were marked down
from £30) and they were vastly better than the iPod ones.

Importantly they can't be heard by those on the outside, which is a real
must if one isn't to be an ignorant cunt in public.
Simon
BGN
2007-11-04 10:13:48 UTC
Post by sweller
Post by BGN
It's difficult to make any judgement of sound quality with these white
iPod earphones on the grounds that they sound like cheap 50p things
which get given away on short haul charter flights for the children.
I bought a pair of KOSS plug type for a tenner (they were marked down
from £30) and they were vastly better than the iPod ones.
The ones Apple ship the iPod with are terrible, it would be better to
not ship with any, imho.
Timo Geusch
2007-11-04 10:28:50 UTC
Post by sweller
Post by BGN
It's difficult to make any judgement of sound quality with these white
iPod earphones on the grounds that they sound like cheap 50p things
which get given away on short haul charter flights for the children.
I bought a pair of KOSS plug type for a tenner (they were marked down
from £30) and they were vastly better than the iPod ones.
A couple of bog rolls give better sound quality than the original iPod
earphones.
Post by sweller
Importantly they can't be heard by those on the outside, which is a real
must if one isn't to be an ignorant cunt in public.
Oh so true. Especially if said ignorant cunt is playing the music so
loud that you can hear it through your own earphones...
d***@burnt.org.uk
2007-11-04 12:54:51 UTC
Post by Timo Geusch
Post by sweller
Post by BGN
It's difficult to make any judgement of sound quality with these white
iPod earphones on the grounds that they sound like cheap 50p things
which get given away on short haul charter flights for the children.
I bought a pair of KOSS plug type for a tenner (they were marked down
from £30) and they were vastly better than the iPod ones.
A couple of bog rolls give better sound quality than the original iPod
earphones.
How does that work then? I can't manage to connect them.

My view; after years of riding bikes sans earplugs I'm happy enough with
the iPod headphones, I mean FFS it's an MP3 or AAC encoded audio stream
so how 'good' is it going to be anyway?
--
K75RT, K1100LT, ZXR750H1, 5TA, Z500/Velorex chair.
ST1100.

"I've got a Molotov cocktail with a match to go"
BGN
2007-11-04 12:57:07 UTC
Post by d***@burnt.org.uk
Post by Timo Geusch
Post by sweller
Post by BGN
It's difficult to make any judgement of sound quality with these white
iPod earphones on the grounds that they sound like cheap 50p things
which get given away on short haul charter flights for the children.
I bought a pair of KOSS plug type for a tenner (they were marked down
from £30) and they were vastly better than the iPod ones.
A couple of bog rolls give better sound quality than the original iPod
earphones.
How does that work then? I can't manage to connect them.
My view; after years of riding bikes sans earplugs I'm happy enough with
the iPod headphones, I mean FFS it's an MP3 or AAC encoded audio stream
so how 'good' is it going to be anyway?
It depends how bad you want your music to be. But MP3 and AAC often
give very good results at 192+kb/sec. Plus the iPod Classic is happy
to play lossless stuff too.
BGN
2007-11-04 10:15:11 UTC
Post by BGN
It's all well and good having a nice pretty "oooooh!" user interface
but if the final product, the audio, is poo then it's not really much
good to me as an audio device.
And a quick google search for:

"iPod Classic" sound quality

Brings up nothing but complaints about the iPod Classic being plagued
with sound quality issues <sigh>
Timo Geusch
2007-11-04 10:26:58 UTC
Post by Timo Geusch
Post by BGN
Post by Wicked Uncle Nigel
[...]
Indeed it is.
Post by BGN
It's worth noting that pretty much all of the devices which sound fine
with most earphones (and iRiver H120) I use feature SRS WOW
technology. The iPod doesn't.
Well, I tend to turn SRS WOW off an on at will as it seems to be some
kind of 'loudness for headphones' that can get intrusively annoying. But
even with the EQs turned off on both, the H120 sounds miles better.
Post by BGN
Post by Timo Geusch
[...]
They're shit, no argument about that. The question was more if you get
the distortion/crackling with them or not.
Post by BGN
Post by Timo Geusch
There are rumours about that the sound quality of recent iPods isn't
getting any better (rather the opposite, actually) but I don't have
anything to compare mine against iPod-wise.
I haven't had an iPod before and rather innocently assumed that as
Apple fanboys are always banging away about how everything with
"Apple" written on it is fucking fantastic and cannot possibly be made
any better design of quality wise then the new iPod Classic would have
the kind of sound reproduction I would expect from an expensive MP3
player.
They're not for Hifi nutters. I've got one because it's more convenient
and nicer to _use_ than the H120, not because it sounds better. Not to
mention that there are plenty of accessories for it, which may or may
not be useful.
Post by BGN
It's a shame this isn't true. It's a dedicated audio device which
also does photos, a handful of games and some variable quality video -
one would have thought that Apple would have spent more than five
minutes on making the audio coming out of anything other than
sub-standard.
It's all well and good having a nice pretty "oooooh!" user interface
but if the final product, the audio, is poo then it's not really much
good to me as an audio device.
Erm, this isn't exactly news and is one of the reasons I originally
bought the H120. However when it came to finding an MP3 player for Ann,
who's about as non-techy as people get with the exception of my mum, I
got her an iPod nano. Took her a few minutes to get used to that; she
never got used to driving the H120.
Post by BGN
Post by Timo Geusch
Anyway, did you get the crackling with the QC2s as well? Or just
slightly inferior sound quality.
Not so much crackling with the QC2s, just inferior sound quality. The
Bose in-ear phones give excellent quality sound from my iRiver, hi-fi
and n95 with rich higher tones and bass at the same time. But plug
them into my iPod Classic...
I'm afraid that's par for the course - my iPod sounds OK with the
earphones I use (Shure E4c) but the H120 sounds brilliant with them. And
of course I don't need the noise cancelling gizmos with those as you can
get earplug-style foam thingies for the Shures which work very well in
an airplane.
Post by BGN
Post by Timo Geusch
...Keep in mind (and the Bose fanboyz
probably don't want to hear that) that Bose systems may sound good to
your ear but they're not necessarily known for their accurate
reproduction of music either.
All I know about the Bose range of headphones is that they give me
good quality music, speech and silence (in the case of the QC2s). And
with regards to the Bose in-ear phones they're the best *ear*phones
I've used which reproduce bass and the rest of the range very well.
That's why I said they sound good - the Bose trick seems to be that they
can make anything, even with a really shite production, sound
good. That's why I said they're not necessarily accurate.
Post by BGN
Post by Timo Geusch
...So it may be a strange interaction between
your headphones' electronics and the iPod.
IOW, see if you can test the iPod with some decent conventional
headphones instead.
I turned the EQ/sound check/etc off on the iPod and plugged them into
the Line-In on my hifi and the sound just rather weak. Turning the EQ
back on gives some crackles. I wonder if the modification to the
audio for the EQ is by dodgy software on the iPod which is up-to-date
using v1.0.2PC software. Whatever if it is, I'm not impressed with it
as an audio device.
Well, using the headphone socket to drive line-in is not that great an
idea on an iPod - the iPod headphone amp isn't that good to start with,
as you have noticed.

If you want to do any kind of line in/out stuff, you're better off
getting a line-out adapter (the iPod does have line-out which supposedly
sounds a lot better, but it's on the dock connector so you need some
additional gizmo to get at the signal). Actually there are some hifi
nutters who modify the iPod to bypass the headphone amp for more or less
the quality reasons you suggest.
Post by BGN
Post by Timo Geusch
I assume that the music you were listening to also was ripped at a
sound a heck of a lot better at 160 or 192.
I used to have all of my audio ripped in the OGG format as WinAmp, my
iRiver and n95 was happy to play them. They were 128kb/sec min &
320kb/sec max VBR using the HQ encoding options.
Same here, I still have both because OGG works better under Linux (well,
AFAIK AAC doesn't work under Linux at all...) and they do sound better
than pretty much anything, although I do find that AAC @ 192 gets very
close.
Post by BGN
However, due to a
decision by Apple the iPod Classic doesn't appear to be able to play
anything other than MP3 or AAC files. I've re-ripped (from the
original CDs) about 4Gb of MP3's (new technology takes a step
with pretty much anything.
OK, that should mostly take care of the ripping quality side of things.

I'm still a bit surprised about the crackling side of things as mine
doesn't do that but other than that I'm afraid you've pretty much
described what iPods are about.
BGN
2007-11-04 11:18:14 UTC
On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 10:26:58 +0000, Timo Geusch
Post by Timo Geusch
I'm still a bit surprised about the crackling side of things as mine
doesn't do that but other than that I'm afraid you've pretty much
described what iPods are about.
A quick Google for '"iPod Classic" sound quality' shows that this
problem is with the iPod Classic - they've used some el cheapo Cirrus
chipset for the audio on this model which causes shitty sound
reproduction.

I am currently on the phone to the Apple Store in Bluewater trying to
speak to someone there to see what they're willing to do. I called at
11am and after 5 minutes of being on hold a bod answered the call,
left hte phone on the side so I could hear nattering for 30 secs then
hung up on me. I've now been on hold for 10 minutes and am waiting
for them to answer.

The iPod Touch doesn't suffer from the same audio problems as the
Classic. If I'd have known that the Classic gave poo audio then I
wouldn't have spend £159 on it, I'd have paid £199 for the iPod Touch
instead.
Timo Geusch
2007-11-04 11:24:10 UTC
Post by Timo Geusch
I'm still a bit surprised about the crackling side of things as mine
doesn't do that but other than that I'm afraid you've pretty much
described what iPods are about.
A quick Google for '"iPod Classic" sound quality' shows that this
problem is with the iPod Classic - they've used some el cheapo Cirrus
chipset for the audio on this model which causes shitty sound
reproduction.
Given that it's a premium player, it obviously makes sense to use the
cheapest possible components...
Post by BGN
I am currently on the phone to the Apple Store in Bluewater trying to
speak to someone there to see what they're willing to do. I called at
11am and after 5 minutes of being on hold a bod answered the call,
left hte phone on the side so I could hear nattering for 30 secs then
hung up on me. I've now been on hold for 10 minutes and am waiting
for them to answer.
"Bog all" would be my guess.
Post by BGN
The iPod Touch doesn't suffer from the same audio problems as the
Classic. If I'd have known that the Classic gave poo audio then I
wouldn't have spend £159 on it, I'd have paid £199 for the iPod Touch
instead.
Erm, you do know that the iPod touch has about 10% of the capacity of
the iPod classic? Just like, asking.
BGN
2007-11-04 11:36:00 UTC
On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 11:24:10 +0000, Timo Geusch
Post by Timo Geusch
Post by BGN
Post by Timo Geusch
I'm still a bit surprised about the crackling side of things as mine
doesn't do that but other than that I'm afraid you've pretty much
described what iPods are about.
A quick Google for '"iPod Classic" sound quality' shows that this
problem is with the iPod Classic - they've used some el cheapo Cirrus
chipset for the audio on this model which causes shitty sound
reproduction.
Given that it's a premium player, it obviously makes sense to use the
cheapest possible components...
I don't know how they got it past any QA stage, tbh.
Post by Timo Geusch
Post by BGN
I am currently on the phone to the Apple Store in Bluewater trying to
speak to someone there to see what they're willing to do. I called at
11am and after 5 minutes of being on hold a bod answered the call,
left hte phone on the side so I could hear nattering for 30 secs then
hung up on me. I've now been on hold for 10 minutes and am waiting
for them to answer.
"Bog all" would be my guess.
Yeah, they demonstrated Apple's caring attitude and said that Apple
don't feel that the shit audio the iPod Classic gives is actually a
fault, but a feature of this £160 device. The fact that older iPod
models gave superior sound is neither here nor there.
Post by Timo Geusch
Post by BGN
The iPod Touch doesn't suffer from the same audio problems as the
Classic. If I'd have known that the Classic gave poo audio then I
wouldn't have spend £159 on it, I'd have paid £199 for the iPod Touch
instead.
Erm, you do know that the iPod touch has about 10% of the capacity of
the iPod classic? Just like, asking.
Yeah, I noticed that. 8Gb for the £199 iPod Touch vs 80Gb for the
£169 iPod Classic. However, the iPod Touch doesn't suffer from shit
audio.
Des
2007-11-04 11:39:50 UTC
Erm, you do know that the iPod touch has about 10% of the capacity of the
iPod classic? Just like, asking.
Yeah, I noticed that. 8Gb for the £199 iPod Touch vs 80Gb for the £169
iPod Classic. However, the iPod Touch doesn't suffer from shit audio.
How is one supposed to fill up 80 fucking GB ? My phone's got a memory
card added that gives it 4 GB and even with 500 MB of that reserved as an
'encrypted memory stick', I still struggle to fill it with music...

D.
--
des | parce que je le vaux bien...
French Biking Vocabulary: http://minilien.fr/a0kg0p
SteveH
2007-11-04 12:00:26 UTC
Post by Des
Erm, you do know that the iPod touch has about 10% of the capacity of the
iPod classic? Just like, asking.
Yeah, I noticed that. 8Gb for the £199 iPod Touch vs 80Gb for the £169
iPod Classic. However, the iPod Touch doesn't suffer from shit audio.
How is one supposed to fill up 80 fucking GB ? My phone's got a memory
card added that gives it 4 GB and even with 500 MB of that reserved as an
'encrypted memory stick', I still struggle to fill it with music...
My 5th Generation 80GB is currently just over 50% full.

Can't comment on the audio quality, as 99% of the time it's being used
with either an FM transmitter in the car or a JBL Soundstage thing in
the kitchen.

If I want to listen to stuff on the hifi, I use my Shuttle PC which is
hooked up to my amp.
Alfa 156 TSpark - B6 Passat 2.0TDI SE - COSOC KOTL
BOTAFOT #87 - BOTAFOF #18 - MRO # - UKRMSBC #7 - Apostle #2 - YTC #
BGN
2007-11-04 12:24:31 UTC
Post by Des
Erm, you do know that the iPod touch has about 10% of the capacity of the
iPod classic? Just like, asking.
Yeah, I noticed that. 8Gb for the £199 iPod Touch vs 80Gb for the £169
iPod Classic. However, the iPod Touch doesn't suffer from shit audio.
How is one supposed to fill up 80 fucking GB ? My phone's got a memory
card added that gives it 4 GB and even with 500 MB of that reserved as an
'encrypted memory stick', I still struggle to fill it with music...
I've ripped about half of the moosick I own to my computer and have
got all the music on my PC (excluding OGGs) is on my iPod and it adds
up to...

870 tracks
62h02m54s (without a track repeated)
5,095,413,745 bytes (4,859.36Mb)

I could probably get away with an 8Gb iPod if all I had on it was
music.

The iPod Classic does stuff other than music like video, photos,
games, etc.

Des
2007-11-04 16:20:46 UTC
Post by BGN
Post by Des
Erm, you do know that the iPod touch has about 10% of the capacity of the
iPod classic? Just like, asking.
Yeah, I noticed that. 8Gb for the £199 iPod Touch vs 80Gb for the £169
iPod Classic. However, the iPod Touch doesn't suffer from shit audio.
How is one supposed to fill up 80 fucking GB ? My phone's got a memory
card added that gives it 4 GB and even with 500 MB of that reserved as an
'encrypted memory stick', I still struggle to fill it with music...
I've ripped about half of the moosick I own to my computer and have
got all the music on my PC (excluding OGGs) is on my iPod and it adds
up to...
870 tracks
62h02m54s (without a track repeated)
5,095,413,745 bytes (4,859.36Mb)
Lemme see ..

***@sivan.coughlan.fr% /Users/desmond (89) du -hs /Volumes/myriam/musique/
27G /Volumes/myriam/musique/

Hmm. It's fair to say that not all of my stuff is on the phone, then..

D.
BGN
2007-11-04 17:32:17 UTC
Post by Des
Post by BGN
Post by Des
[...]
I agree! I used to have a lot more than I currently do but this is
mostly stuff that I actually own.
Des
2007-11-04 20:55:02 UTC
Post by BGN
Post by Des
Lemme see ..
27G /Volumes/myriam/musique/
Hmm. It's fair to say that not all of my stuff is on the phone, then..
I agree! I used to have a lot more than I currently do but this is
mostly stuff that I actually own.
Hmm ..

***@sivan.coughlan.fr% /Users/desmond (132) du -hs /Volumes/HANNAH/
1.9G /Volumes/HANNAH/

I need to get some more stuff on there ..

D.
d***@burnt.org.uk
2007-11-04 12:57:14 UTC
Post by Timo Geusch
I'm still a bit surprised about the crackling side of things as mine
doesn't do that but other than that I'm afraid you've pretty much
described what iPods are about.
A quick Google for '"iPod Classic" sound quality' shows that this
problem is with the iPod Classic - they've used some el cheapo Cirrus
chipset for the audio on this model which causes shitty sound
reproduction.
Given that it's a premium player, it obviously makes sense to use the
cheapest possible components...
The 'classic' isn't a premium player.

BGN
2007-11-04 13:06:36 UTC
Post by d***@burnt.org.uk
Post by Timo Geusch
I'm still a bit surprised about the crackling side of things as mine
doesn't do that but other than that I'm afraid you've pretty much
described what iPods are about.
A quick Google for '"iPod Classic" sound quality' shows that this
problem is with the iPod Classic - they've used some el cheapo Cirrus
chipset for the audio on this model which causes shitty sound
reproduction.
Given that it's a premium player, it obviously makes sense to use the
cheapest possible components...
The 'classic' isn't a premium player.
Perhaps he meant "one of the most expensive devices in the iPod range"
Timo Geusch
2007-11-04 13:06:36 UTC
Post by d***@burnt.org.uk
Post by Timo Geusch
I'm still a bit surprised about the crackling side of things as mine
doesn't do that but other than that I'm afraid you've pretty much
described what iPods are about.
A quick Google for '"iPod Classic" sound quality' shows that this
problem is with the iPod Classic - they've used some el cheapo Cirrus
chipset for the audio on this model which causes shitty sound
reproduction.
Given that it's a premium player, it obviously makes sense to use the
cheapest possible components...
The 'classic' isn't a premium player.
The price very much suggests that it is, plus Apple is positioning
themselves as a premium brand.
d***@burnt.org.uk
2007-11-04 13:20:41 UTC
Post by Timo Geusch
Post by d***@burnt.org.uk
The 'classic' isn't a premium player.
The price very much suggests that it is, plus Apple is positioning
themselves as a premium brand.
I don't agree, I think you're confusing the price of a product with it
being a premium product or otherwise and also the brand equity with the
product spec.

Yes, Apple is a premium brand but they're moving the 'classic' iPod down
the price range; it's really textbook marketing; skim the market at
first then move stuff down the price range and soak up the volume. Of
course you cut the spec as you do this and moving from Maxim (I think)
to Cirrus for their audio is possibly one of the ways to save a few
cents per unit.

Naturally the iPod classic is more expensive than some other, weaker
brand product with a similar spec. but that doesn't make it a premium
product. The iTouch is the premium product.

The very fact they call it "classic" tells me it's cheapened.

steve auvache
2007-11-04 14:19:42 UTC
Post by Wicked Uncle Nigel
I've just rediscovered the twin delights of decent headphones and my
iTunes AC/DC collection.
Blood from your ears, that's normal, right?
Try Sabbath, it comes out semi-congealed. Good it is.
--
steve auvache
A Bloo one with built in safety features
Lozzo
2007-11-04 18:21:50 UTC
Wicked Uncle Nigel says...
Post by Wicked Uncle Nigel
I've just rediscovered the twin delights of decent headphones and my
iTunes AC/DC collection.
Blood from your ears, that's normal, right?
<marks thread 'ignore'>
--
Lozzo
Triumph Daytona 955i SE