Nodding code?
David Thomas
2004-06-08 10:23:54 UTC
Right you bunch of social misfits (includes self in that) what's this
nodding bollox all about?

I mean all through the winter bikers were nodding at me, once I realized
that they were not trying to tell me that a bit was falling off my bike I
started to nod back.

Now I have learnt the nodding bit, and give other bikers a nod... and
nothing! So me thinks I won't nod at the next one and he nods just when it's
to late to get one in... prolly thinking "ignorant git"

So what's it all about?

Don't nod to scoots, or learners or non-leather-clad (too many hyphens?) or
cruisers unless you are on one yourself?

Is the code written anywhere?

Oh and before you start, it has nothing to do with me having an off red bike
:-)

Slider
2004-06-08 10:27:11 UTC
Post by David Thomas
Right you bunch of social misfits (includes self in that) what's this
nodding bollox all about?
I nod to be friendly, if they don't nod back, fair enough. It isn't a code,
it's just recognition of members of the same minority.
--
Steve "Slider"
'02 YZF-R6
HooDooWitch
2004-06-08 10:28:42 UTC
"David Thomas" <***@davidcthomas.remove.demon.co.uk> somehow managed
to post:

<nodding illuminati snipped>
Post by David Thomas
Oh and before you start, it has nothing to do with me having an off red bike
:-)
:o
--
HooDooWitch (NaCl - Free)

Whinging Courier
2004-06-08 10:28:49 UTC
Post by David Thomas
I mean all through the winter bikers were nodding at me, once I realized
that they were not trying to tell me that a bit was falling off my bike I
started to nod back.
Even courier nod at each other during winter. We are a notoriously
grumpy bunch of cunts at the best of times but the winter thing is more
out of pain and sympathy, I think.
Post by David Thomas
Now I have learnt the nodding bit, and give other bikers a nod... and
nothing! So me thinks I won't nod at the next one and he nods just when it's
to late to get one in... prolly thinking "ignorant git"
You're getting the hang of it already. Next time someone gets in your
way, you'll have that pent up "he didn't nod" stuff in your head and you
can, without reserve, yell "GET THE FUCK OUTA MY WAAAYYY!!!"
Post by David Thomas
So what's it all about?
Don't nod to scoots, or learners or non-leather-clad (too many hyphens?) or
cruisers unless you are on one yourself?
Bollocks. Nod when it's right. I even got a nod off a copper not so long
ago and that was a revelation, I tell ya.
Post by David Thomas
Is the code written anywhere?
Oh and before you start, it has nothing to do with me having an off red bike
:-)
It isn't off red. It's pink :)
--
Smile...tomorrow will be worse
CBR1000FL
Doesnotcompute
2004-06-08 10:34:35 UTC
Post by David Thomas
Is the code written anywhere?
Yes. No. Probably.
This months BiKE mag has a piece on this.

However, simplest form: Nod if you want to, don't if you don't.

Where practical, I'll give a nod, or raise fingers from levers, to anyone
on two wheels, we're all in the same boat, regardless of our choice of
style.

Of course, those that don't nod back to you, might be those without tinted
visors, and therefore are having to look the other way from the pinkness
;)
Dnc
darsy
2004-06-08 10:41:29 UTC
Post by Doesnotcompute
Where practical, I'll give a nod, or raise fingers from levers, to anyone
on two wheels, we're all in the same boat, regardless of our choice of
style.
I hate this shit. "All in the same boat" implies that riding a bike is
something to be endured - what nonsense.

People nod for one reason only, and that is to get a nod back. This is
because it makes them feel "like a real biker" or some such shit. It's
pitiful.

I ride bikes for fun and transport - I don't need to feel like I
"belong" or that I'm part of a "sub-culture".
darsy
Champ
2004-06-08 10:51:55 UTC
Post by darsy
I ride bikes for fun and transport - I don't need to feel like I
"belong" or that I'm part of a "sub-culture".
But, you *are* part of a sub-culture, whether you like it or not.
--
Champ
GSX-R 1000, GPz 750 turbo, ZX7RR Endurance Racer x 2
Team UKRM Racing : www.team-ukrm.com
Doesnotcompute
2004-06-08 10:54:22 UTC
Post by darsy
I ride bikes for fun and transport -
I don't need to feel like I
"belong" or that I'm part of a "sub-culture".
Excellent. Good for you. Bravo.

Others may of course vary, this doesn't make them pitiful, just different
to you. Not really a bad thing. Imagine a world full of short bald fat
marmosets [tm whoever], all with the same opinions. How boring would that
be.
Dnc
Mike
2004-06-08 10:39:52 UTC
David Thomas wrote:

SNIP
Post by David Thomas
Now I have learnt the nodding bit, and give other bikers a nod... and
nothing! So me thinks I won't nod at the next one and he nods just when it's
to late to get one in... prolly thinking "ignorant git"
So what's it all about?
That's the point - to get one in so late that they can't possibly nod
back before you pass.

That's how you win the game.
--
Mike Hall
Trophy 3
AndrewR
2004-06-08 10:41:43 UTC
"David Thomas" <***@davidcthomas.remove.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:ca443r$6vt$1$***@news.demon.co.uk...

<SNIP>
Post by David Thomas
So what's it all about?
Don't nod to scoots, or learners or non-leather-clad (too many hyphens?) or
cruisers unless you are on one yourself?
Is the code written anywhere?
I'll nod at pretty much anybody on two wheel and people on trikes as well.

Scoot and Harley riders never seem to nod back, but most others do;
including coppers.

I always make a special point of nodding at learners. Might as well get
them started ASAP and I remember feeling like a "proper" biker when I was a
leaner on a CG125 and got a nod off a bloke on an FZR1000 EXUP.
--
AndrewR, D.Bot (Celeritas)
Kawasaki ZX-6R J1
The speccy Geordie twat.
David Thomas
2004-06-08 10:42:57 UTC
Post by AndrewR
Scoot and Harley riders never seem to nod back, but most others do;
including coppers.
Don't think I have ever seen a copper on a bike in my locality, do they have
en here? (Essex)

darsy
2004-06-08 10:48:15 UTC
Post by David Thomas
Don't think I have ever seen a copper on a bike in my locality, do they have
en here? (Essex)
apparently not. Got rid of the bike cops for budgetary reasons,
apparently.
darsy
David Thomas
2004-06-08 10:57:39 UTC
Post by darsy
Post by David Thomas
Don't think I have ever seen a copper on a bike in my locality, do they have
en here? (Essex)
apparently not. Got rid of the bike cops for budgetary reasons,
apparently.
The "Essex Responsible Rider Campaign" is gonna be a blast then init !

darsy
2004-06-08 10:43:45 UTC
Post by AndrewR
I'll nod at pretty much anybody on two wheel and people on trikes as well.
I always make a special point of nodding at learners. Might as well get
them started ASAP and I remember feeling like a "proper" biker when I was a
leaner on a CG125 and got a nod off a bloke on an FZR1000 EXUP.
since Porl doesn't seem to be here today, I'll stand in for him:

Fuck Off, Noddy.
darsy
Porl
Cheers. I'm just up late.
Champ
2004-06-08 10:53:25 UTC
On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 11:41:43 +0100, "AndrewR"
Post by AndrewR
I'll nod at pretty much anybody
Do you walk down the street talking to yourself too?
TonyF
2004-06-08 10:45:34 UTC
Post by David Thomas
Right you bunch of social misfits (includes self in that) what's this
<tippex on> noddy <tippex off> bollox all about?
..........and what about big ears ?

Tone
David Thomas
2004-06-08 10:53:18 UTC
Post by TonyF
Post by David Thomas
Right you bunch of social misfits (includes self in that) what's this
<tippex on> noddy <tippex off> bollox all about?
..........and what about big ears ?
As I said

"Right you bunch of social misfits (includes self in that)"

I'll have you know that people have set cycling speed records cycling behind
me :-)

Porl
2004-06-08 10:47:48 UTC
Answered your own question there. Well done!
darsy
2004-06-08 10:53:44 UTC
Post by David Thomas
Right you bunch of social misfits
Start with an incorrect generalisation - always a winner. I'd say most
people who post here are fairly normal, with fairly normal jobs,
fairly normal interests etc. There's a common interest in bikes, but
these days that means nothing - for most bike owners, they're just a
toy for posing on at the weekend and/or a way of getting to work.
Hardly anyone "leads a biker lifestyle" or in any other way is
misaligned with general society.
Post by David Thomas
(includes self in that)
"I'm mad, me!"
Post by David Thomas
what's this nodding bollox all about?
it's the "want to belong" instinct. Nodders want to believe that when
they signed up for their shiny new bike on 3 years 6.7% APR credit
(lid and leathers included in the finance) they're somehow buying into
a whole biker-chic lifestyle choice.

It is, quite frankly, a crock.
--
darsy