2009 motorcycling highs and lows
The Older Gentleman
2009-12-31 12:05:47 UTC
Just thinking.

My highs this last year:

Elefant Rally, no question. Thank you, Mr Bonwick. Much hilarity, plenty
coldness, just one biking experience I'll never forget. (See lows)

Buying the Street Triple on a complete impulse after one hilarious
20-mile test ride. I really feel sorry for whoever bought the Carl
Rosner demo bike afterwards, because I didn't spare it the rod, and it
only had 200 miles on the clock. I doubt I was the only one.

Buying and sorting out a £250 old Honda 250 Super Dream for Nyumber One
Son. Amazingly, it's still going. Hasn't missed a beat. he wants my
Ducati now.

Getting the swiftest insurance payout I've ever known after that teenage
twat decided to get out of his car and go walkabout in the middle of a
motorway. (See lows)

Managing to get all the bits I need for my Suzuki TS250 restoration.
Work starts in earnest when winter ends.

The French Run. Always fun.

The lows

Having to ditch the Yamaha Tenere on the way back from the Elefant when
it fried its wiring loom, reg/rec and alternator. Spending three hours
by the side of a German autobahn in sub-zero temperatures.

Being skittled on the K after teenage twat decided to go walkabout in
the middle lane of a motorway.

That's about it, really.

Anyone else?
--
BMW K1100LT Ducati 750SS Honda CB400F Triumph Street Triple
Suzuki TS250ER GN250 Damn, back to six bikes!
chateau dot murray at idnet dot com
Champ
2009-12-31 12:41:15 UTC
- Getting back on a bike again (ok, first ride was actually mid-Dec
08, but that's close enough)

- Buying a Hayabusa - always wanted one, and wish I hadn't waited so
long

- UKRM Does the Alps. Outrageous and epic trip. A bit spendy, tho
(see lows)

- Doing another (and probably last) race at Jurby Endurance. It feels
nice that my last race isn't one I left in an ambulance
Post by The Older Gentleman
The lows
Hefty fines from the Swiss and German police.

Hayabusa being damaged when some scrotes tried to make off with it.
--
Champ
We declare that the splendor of the world has been enriched by a new beauty: the beauty of speed.
neal at champ dot org dot uk
Krusty
2009-12-31 12:51:25 UTC
Post by The Older Gentleman
Just thinking.
Most of the Alps trip.
Post by The Older Gentleman
The lows
The rest of the Alps trip.
--
Krusty

'03 Tiger 955i '02 MV Senna '96 Tiger (for sale)
'79 Fantic Hiro 250 (for sale) '81 Corvette (for sale)
ogden
2009-12-31 13:16:07 UTC
Post by The Older Gentleman
Just thinking.
Finally getting my hands on a pukka litrebike. When I had the GSXR750 as
a stop-gap I wondered just how much faster a thou could really be. Then
I bought one. Fuck. Me.

My commute: whatever people might say, a gixer thou is a wonderful tool
for cutting through central London traffic. And if 145bhp through stone
cold tyres onto diesel-soaked roundabouts and bus lanes isn't your idea
of fun, you're missing out. Really.

The journey to Dover for the French Run. Never before have I ridden so
fast, or fast for so long, as I did that day. However, see Lows.

Sticking it to mother nature and making the trip to Chimay regardless.
The weather was fantastic, the racing at times astonishing, and it was
made all the more glorious by knowing people had bailed out at the
slightest chance of rain.

And, most of all, the Alps run. 2200 miles and 10 days of sheer lunacy.
More money spent on speeding fines than on petrol! Pursuit bikes! Police
videos! Unmarked cars! Armed roadblocks! Points on licences that don't
even exist! These aren't lows, people, these are the things that make
the memory last a lifetime! I pity anyone who wasn't there. (Having said
that, see Lows)
Post by The Older Gentleman
The lows
The international law enforcement community.

Germans

Swiss Germans

German police

Swiss police

The bit between Balingen and the French border. That was rubbish. Mostly
thanks to an assortment of the above.
ogden
Speedgazebo MOTP #1
2009-12-31 13:27:37 UTC
Post by The Older Gentleman
Just thinking.
[...]
High - Leaving my bro in laws place near Malaga on a sunny May morning
to spend 3 days riding across Spain to Santander without a map, or a
word of
Spanish, the Costa Brava coast road, the Millau bridge and the Picos
d'europa. Getting my "Great escape" story in Bike mag.

Lows - none, it's been a good year for me.

Happy new year to you all.

Speedgazebo
Pete Fisher
2009-12-31 13:28:41 UTC
In communiqué <1jbl7s9.uqqhbr1mlsbn2N%***@yahoo.co.uk>,
The Older Gentleman <***@yahoo.co.uk> cast forth these
pearls of wisdom
Post by The Older Gentleman
Just thinking.
Anyone else?
Precious few highs this year. Manx week was supposed to provide a few
but the weather didn't co-operate.

Getting SWMBO's Honda in to an Ebayable state (with your consultancy
assistance) was quite satisfying. I really ought to be out in the garage
resurrecting the 2C/375 Morini, but can't summon up the enthusiasm until
the thermometer goes a bit higher and my sinuses a bit clearer.

Parting with the Nordwests was a bit of a low point (well the 'racer'
one at least).

Recognition that I am now past exploring the forests of the Limousin on
the faux WR250 was a very low point. Still, I am taking steps with a
view to creating a few high points by taking to the tarmac hills with it
next year.
| Pete Fisher at Home: ***@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk |
| Voxan Roadster Yamaha WR250Z/Supermoto "Old Gimmer's Hillclimber" |
| Gilera GFR * 2 Moto Morini 2C/375 Morini 350 "Forgotten Error" |
wessie
2009-12-31 13:49:32 UTC
Post by The Older Gentleman
Just thinking.
Most of the Alps trip inc. the single funniest event of the year: after
being passed by the FBC somewhere near St Moritz, I approached a Swiss
border post, expecting to be stopped. I didn't slow down below 30mph
because the border guards were somewhat distracted by four familiar faces.
A cheery wave to Penfold, the only one looking my way, and I crossed into
Austria.

Mostly enjoying my 33 mile commute by bike (not had to do it in freezing
conditions yet, might use the train next week)
Post by The Older Gentleman
The lows
On the Alps trip, the fierce wind & rain on the B500 from the CH border to
Schlusee was stronger than I had experienced before. Especially the bit
across the plateau which had no trees to shelter behind. I was a little
anxious at times. I think everyone else went a different route, and most of
them were taxed for being such pussies :)

Spunking out about £700 on clothing, bar muffs etc to make the winter
commute bearable.
--
wessie at tesco dot net

BMW R1150GS
Colin Irvine
2009-12-31 14:05:38 UTC
On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 12:05:47 +0000, The Older Gentleman squeezed out
Post by The Older Gentleman
Just thinking.
The fortnight in the Tirol and Dolomites, and the Alps with the
UKRMers. Great roads, scenery, hotels, bike, company, partner and
(mostly) weather.

The TOG tour.
Post by The Older Gentleman
The lows
None.
--
Colin Irvine
ZZR1400 BOF#33 BONY#34 COFF#06 BHaLC#5
http://www.colinandpat.co.uk
TMack
2009-12-31 14:11:02 UTC
Post by The Older Gentleman
Just thinking.
[...]
Highs:
French Run - Helen's first long trip as pillion and she really enjoyed it
too
Wheelie School - a real hoot
Fitting high performance air filter, Termis and Power Commander to the ST3
and getting 109BHP on the dyno and a fabulous noise from the bike
Surviving the 70mph plus double blowout on the V-Strom

Lows:
Realising the cost of the double blowout (new wheels at £450 each and new
tyres). I got the wheels done on the insurance (20% reduction in NCB) but
couldn't claim for the nearly new tyres. I reckon I'll only pay an extra
£200-£300 on insurance over 2 years before getting back to 100% NCB so it
was worth going down the insurance route.
--
Tony
'04 Ducati ST3, '08 DL650GT,
'87 semi-rat LS650, OMF#24
Steve
2009-12-31 14:39:55 UTC
Post by The Older Gentleman
Just thinking.
The Elefant . Good company and i've never seen anything like it.
The Slovenia Run - good company and suicidal blat through the worst
rain
i've ever ridden in from Austria to Metz.
Buying a sidecar.
Post by The Older Gentleman
The lows
The Slovenia Run - Platy and Lady Nina bought it.
The sidecar maiden voyage into the M40 armco.

Steve
Richard Smith
2010-01-01 11:03:53 UTC
Post by Steve
Post by The Older Gentleman
The lows
The Slovenia Run - Platy and Lady Nina bought it.
"bought it"? It was just a tumble. If it hadn't been dark, pissing down
with rain and serious traffic going past, I'd have kicked it straight and
staggered on.
Only a low for you :)
Dr Ivan D. Reid
2009-12-31 14:37:59 UTC
On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 12:05:47 +0000, The Older Gentleman
Post by The Older Gentleman
Just thinking.
None.
Post by The Older Gentleman
The lows
None.

It's been a very non-motorcycling year again.
--
Ivan Reid, School of Engineering & Design, _____________ CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University. Ivan.Reid@[brunel.ac.uk|cern.ch] Room 40-1-B12, CERN
steve auvache
2009-12-31 15:14:05 UTC
Post by Colin Irvine
On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 12:05:47 +0000, The Older Gentleman
Post by The Older Gentleman
Just thinking.
None.
Post by The Older Gentleman
The lows
None.
It's been a very non-motorcycling year again.
Me also.

Hopefully a matter I will remedy soon.
steve auvache
Vass
2009-12-31 16:13:59 UTC
Post by steve auvache
Post by Colin Irvine
On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 12:05:47 +0000, The Older Gentleman
Post by The Older Gentleman
Just thinking.
None.
Post by The Older Gentleman
The lows
None.
It's been a very non-motorcycling year again.
Me also.
Hopefully a matter I will remedy soon.
mark me down in this section too will ya. 2010 doesn't look favorable as
already I'm missing the Tog tour
Vass
Colin Irvine
2009-12-31 16:24:09 UTC
Post by Vass
mark me down in this section too will ya. 2010 doesn't look favorable as
already I'm missing the Tog tour
Pace too stiff for you, biker boy?

You and Ann'll be missed, though.
http://www.colinandpat.co.uk
Vass
2010-01-01 09:08:42 UTC
Post by Colin Irvine
Post by Vass
mark me down in this section too will ya. 2010 doesn't look favorable as
already I'm missing the Tog tour
Pace too stiff for you, biker boy?
You and Ann'll be missed, though.
too kind
the Blackbirds sold so we need a new steed
HNY!
Vass
Colin Irvine
http://www.colinandpat.co.uk
darsy
d.
The Older Gentleman
darsy
d.
Vass
2010-01-01 12:04:02 UTC
Post by Vass
Post by Colin Irvine
Post by Vass
mark me down in this section too will ya. 2010 doesn't look favorable as
already I'm missing the Tog tour
Pace too stiff for you, biker boy?
You and Ann'll be missed, though.
too kind
the Blackbirds sold so we need a new steed
HNY!
U2.
not so stealthy.
F22
single seat though (I think)
Vass
Lady Nina
2009-12-31 14:44:07 UTC
Post by The Older Gentleman
Just thinking.
Following Platy through heavy traffic, in torrential rain at
ridiculous speeds on the way to Dover. Keeping up with him for half an
hour before deciding that I really didn't have a death wish. Kevin and
L having food and a warm bed at the end of it. Much appreciated.
Post by The Older Gentleman
The lows
No biking since June due to the broken leg. Missing out on Chimay
still rankles.
Lady Nina
Beav
2009-12-31 15:15:12 UTC
Post by The Older Gentleman
Just thinking.
Managing the whole year without binning anything.

The wife finally getting signed off from the hospital 2.5 years of surgeries
following our June 2007 off.

Getting the wife back on the bike and more importantly, her enjoying it.

Lows..

None that I can think of except maybe not doing enough riding.
--
Beav

VN 750
Zed 1000
OMF# 19
Brownz (Mobile)
2009-12-31 15:18:55 UTC
Post by The Older Gentleman
Just thinking.
The Non Alps Weekender - The back roads from Laon to Verdun, fast, sweepy
and deserted.

The French Trip - with relaxed itinery - waking up in Caen, a relaxed blip
to Chartres for Lunch (not Castres), then a faster bimble into Pithiviers
following Platty and wondering why his viffers chain was making such a
racket - and then finding out why !

The week in the south of France, exploring the Var & Maritime Alpes.
Post by The Older Gentleman
The lows
The Non Alps Weekender - Dropping my viffer on my leg whilst waiting for the
ferry home and using Newhaven - Dieppe; never again.

Planning on making 2010 just as good.
--
Cheerz - Brownz
'97 VFR750F-V
'07 R55 MCDC
wessie
2009-12-31 16:31:00 UTC
Post by Brownz (Mobile)
The Non Alps Weekender - Dropping my viffer on my leg whilst waiting
for the ferry home and using Newhaven - Dieppe; never again.
Never again throwing a VFR at yourself or using the N-D ferry?

Who's operating that route now? We used the seacat on my first TOGTour but
that's no longer running IIRC.
--
wessie at tesco dot net

BMW R1150GS
Brownz (Mobile)
2009-12-31 17:36:46 UTC
Post by wessie
Post by Brownz (Mobile)
The Non Alps Weekender - Dropping my viffer on my leg whilst waiting
for the ferry home and using Newhaven - Dieppe; never again.
Never again throwing a VFR at yourself or using the N-D ferry?
Who's operating that route now? We used the seacat on my first
TOGTour but that's no longer running IIRC.
Both !

It's run by Transmanche (LDLines) now, since the demise of the SeaCat.

I thought Newhaven might be a bit easier than Dover, but it's a lot of
faffing about for a 4hr crossing. I only used as I got a promo bike return
for £20. The journey down seemed just as long as the run to Dover due to the
lack of Motorways.

I think I'll stick with Portsmouth as it's only an hour from here down the
A34.
--
Cheerz - Brownz
'97 VFR750F-V
'07 R55 MCDC
wessie
2009-12-31 18:22:45 UTC
Post by Brownz (Mobile)
Post by wessie
Post by Brownz (Mobile)
The Non Alps Weekender - Dropping my viffer on my leg whilst waiting
for the ferry home and using Newhaven - Dieppe; never again.
Never again throwing a VFR at yourself or using the N-D ferry?
Who's operating that route now? We used the seacat on my first
TOGTour but that's no longer running IIRC.
Both !
It's run by Transmanche (LDLines) now, since the demise of the SeaCat.
I thought Newhaven might be a bit easier than Dover, but it's a lot of
faffing about for a 4hr crossing. I only used as I got a promo bike
return for £20. The journey down seemed just as long as the run to
Dover due to the lack of Motorways.
That was my view. I tried to make the journey interesting by travelling
across the downs but once east of Petersfield it was shite.
Post by Brownz (Mobile)
I think I'll stick with Portsmouth as it's only an hour from here down
the A34.
The LDLines overnight service from there is okay & cheap, compared to BF.
Last time I used it we slept on the floor as there were no cabins left and
the cheap seats weren't very comfy. They've got a bigger ship now, probably
with more cabins.

Although, for the Alps trip, the afternoon train followed by a hotel at
Laon worked out okay. This used up a vacation day whereas the overnighter
from Portsmouth can be done after a full day in the office.
--
wessie at tesco dot net

BMW R1150GS
Chris Dugan
2009-12-31 15:22:55 UTC
Post by The Older Gentleman
Just thinking.
Getting single again

Passing bike test

Riding solo on a bike for the first time

Getting a commuter bike and terrorising the traffic on the way to and
from work each day :)

Finding some great friends through the local IAM group (I'm not actually
a member but we go for non IAM ride-outs around the area)

First wheelie ooops! that was interesting (unintended as it was on way
back from passing my test while on the bike schools GSF650 and on a
roundabout <VBG>)
Post by The Older Gentleman
The lows
None :)

wet and cold (yeah I know, I'll get over that eventually).
--
Chris

2003 CB500S
Colin Irvine
http://www.colinandpat.co.uk
Higgins
2009-12-31 15:31:08 UTC
Post by The Older Gentleman
Just thinking.
The SO XL500 getting me to the French Run and back without losing too
many components.

Visiting Paris, with Spete, on the way back from the French Run. Dunno
why, but blatting around Paris on a big single just seemed so appropriate.
Post by The Older Gentleman
The lows
Total loss lubrication on the XL, while traveling to the French Run.

A somewhat breezy ride back to Belg, having bought the Sprint ST. 70+
mph winds, IIRC.
frag
2009-12-31 15:38:24 UTC
Post by The Older Gentleman
Just thinking.
Getting the ZX10R (technically I got it at the end of 2008 but didn't ride it
until 2009 cause of a broken leg)

TOG tours

*OSMs
Post by The Older Gentleman
The lows
Mum passing away.

Way to few miles on the bike.

Almost being out of work with very little pay for a few months.
--
frag

MicroPlanet Gravity Newsreader V2.9 http://mpgravity.sourceforge.net/
vulgarandmischevious
2009-12-31 15:32:20 UTC
Post by The Older Gentleman
The lows
Haven't ridden a bike this year. Been busy.
darsy
2009-12-31 18:14:26 UTC
On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 08:32:20 -0700, vulgarandmischevious
Post by vulgarandmischevious
Post by The Older Gentleman
The lows
Haven't ridden a bike this year. Been busy.
hey, you could have lied and had anyone who dared to disagreed with
you extraordinarily renditioned.
d.
Wicked Uncle Nigel
2009-12-31 18:22:57 UTC
Using the patented Mavis Beacon "Hunt&Peck" Technique, darsy
Post by The Older Gentleman
The lows
Haven't ridden a bike this year. Been busy.
hey, you could have lied and had anyone who dared to disagreed with
you extraordinarily renditioned.
"extraordinarily rendered", Shirley?
--
Wicked Uncle Nigel - "He's hopeless, but he's honest"

can you see the light of need shinin' in my eye?
darsy
2009-12-31 18:31:02 UTC
Post by The Older Gentleman
The lows
Haven't ridden a bike this year. Been busy.
hey, you could have lied and had anyone who dared to disagreed with
you extraordinarily renditioned.
"extraordinarily rendered", Shirley?
whaaa?

have we been beamed in to the "home animation" thread or something?
d.
The Older Gentleman
Dr Ivan D. Reid
2009-12-31 20:20:55 UTC
Post by The Older Gentleman
The lows
Haven't ridden a bike this year. Been busy.
hey, you could have lied and had anyone who dared to disagreed with
you extraordinarily renditioned.
"extraordinarily rendered", Shirley?
<Heh!> Nearly happened to my father once, when his flensing knife
got caught up in a piece of blubber he was feeding into the intake hole
down to the boilers. ISTR he ended up holding himself up by his elbows
until his workmates rescued him. They used to use spikes in their Wellingtons
to try to keep balance in the slippery whale-blood. And milk -- which they
explained to the tourists as whales having white blood...
SteveH
2009-12-31 15:37:31 UTC
Post by The Older Gentleman
Anyone else?
Highs: Finally admitting I'm an old gimmer at heart and buying a nice
R100RT. Don't know why I didn't do it sooner.

Lows: The police stealing my Ducati over the festive period.
SteveH
doetnietcomputeren
2009-12-31 15:38:08 UTC
Incredible lack of expenditure on anything remotely motorcycle related.
Post by The Older Gentleman
The lows
Managing to ride motorcycles less than I did in 2008 when I only rode
for one weekend.
Dnc
a***@invalid.invalid
2009-12-31 15:47:13 UTC
Post by The Older Gentleman
Just thinking.
<snip>
Post by The Older Gentleman
Anyone else?
Highs
Replacing the triumph with the Ducati.
Day out with WC to Southend
Going halves with the boy on a shiteold ZXR400

Lows
Weather was shite, so not enough time spent on the Ducati
Dan L
doetnietcomputeren
2009-12-31 15:48:44 UTC
Post by a***@invalid.invalid
Lows
Weather was shite, so not enough time spent on the Ducati
and failing to properly set up a newsreader so soon after the iPhone fauxpas.
Indeed.
Dnc
a***@invalid.invalid
2009-12-31 17:10:49 UTC
Post by doetnietcomputeren
Post by a***@invalid.invalid
Lows
Weather was shite, so not enough time spent on the Ducati
and failing to properly set up a newsreader so soon after the iPhone fauxpas.
Indeed.
Heh, I am using a free iPhone newsreader actually.
Dan L
The Older Gentleman
2009-12-31 17:33:57 UTC
Post by a***@invalid.invalid
Lows
Weather was shite, so not enough time spent on the Ducati
and failing to properly set up a newsreader so soon after the iPhone fauxpas.
Indeed.
Heh, I am using a free iPhone newsreader actually.
<Interested>

Go on, then. Which one?
Brownz (Mobile)
2009-12-31 17:43:34 UTC
Post by a***@invalid.invalid
Lows
Weather was shite, so not enough time spent on the Ducati
and failing to properly set up a newsreader so soon after the iPhone fauxpas.
Indeed.
Heh, I am using a free iPhone newsreader actually.
<Interested>
Go on, then. Which one?
News Tap Lite by the look of the headers.
--
Cheerz - Brownz
'97 VFR750F-V
'07 R55 MCDC
The Older Gentleman
2009-12-31 18:05:13 UTC
Post by Brownz (Mobile)
Post by a***@invalid.invalid
Lows
Weather was shite, so not enough time spent on the Ducati
and failing to properly set up a newsreader so soon after the iPhone fauxpas.
Indeed.
Heh, I am using a free iPhone newsreader actually.
<Interested>
Go on, then. Which one?
News Tap Lite by the look of the headers.
Doh. Didn't think of looking. OK, Dan - I've been looking for an iPhone
newsreader until Stefan Haller ports MacSoup to it. Any good?
a***@invalid.invalid
2009-12-31 18:23:48 UTC
Post by The Older Gentleman
Post by Brownz (Mobile)
Post by a***@invalid.invalid
Lows
Weather was shite, so not enough time spent on the Ducati
and failing to properly set up a newsreader so soon after the iPhone fauxpas.
Indeed.
Heh, I am using a free iPhone newsreader actually.
<Interested>
Go on, then. Which one?
News Tap Lite by the look of the headers.
Doh. Didn't think of looking. OK, Dan - I've been looking for an iPhone
newsreader until Stefan Haller ports MacSoup to it. Any good?
I'm using the free lite version before splashing out £0.59 on the full
version.

So far so good tbh. How's my sigsep?
Dan l
The Older Gentleman
2009-12-31 18:40:27 UTC
Post by a***@invalid.invalid
Post by The Older Gentleman
Doh. Didn't think of looking. OK, Dan - I've been looking for an iPhone
newsreader until Stefan Haller ports MacSoup to it. Any good?
I'm using the free lite version before splashing out £0.59 on the full
version.
So far so good tbh. How's my sigsep?
Working fine.

<Penny drops>

Ah! Pint of Hen, please :-))
a***@invalid.invalid
2009-12-31 18:42:42 UTC
Post by The Older Gentleman
Post by a***@invalid.invalid
Post by The Older Gentleman
Doh. Didn't think of looking. OK, Dan - I've been looking for an iPhone
newsreader until Stefan Haller ports MacSoup to it. Any good?
I'm using the free lite version before splashing out £0.59 on the full
version.
So far so good tbh. How's my sigsep?
Working fine.
<Penny drops>
Ah! Pint of Hen, please :-))
Lol, busted...
--
Dan L
I rock
Cab
2009-12-31 20:58:07 UTC
Dan l
ITYF you've got 'dash' 'dash' 'space' 'space'. Not that it matters to
decent newsreaders (apart from google who don't follow RFC's).
--
Cab :^) - "It's not a fookin budgie, you daft tart!"
Z1000ABS : http://www.rosbif.org/ukrm (just for WUN)
email addy : ukrm_dot_cab_at_rosbif_dot_org
doetnietcomputeren
2009-12-31 19:46:37 UTC
Post by The Older Gentleman
Post by Brownz (Mobile)
Post by a***@invalid.invalid
Lows
Weather was shite, so not enough time spent on the Ducati
and failing to properly set up a newsreader so soon after the iPhone fauxpas.
Indeed.
Heh, I am using a free iPhone newsreader actually.
<Interested>
Go on, then. Which one?
News Tap Lite by the look of the headers.
Doh. Didn't think of looking. OK, Dan - I've been looking for an iPhone
newsreader until Stefan Haller ports MacSoup to it. Any good?
The 'Lite' version was shit when I tried it.
Dnc
Cab
2009-12-31 17:36:48 UTC
Post by a***@invalid.invalid
Lows
Weather was shite, so not enough time spent on the Ducati
and failing to properly set up a newsreader so soon after the iPhone fauxpas.
Indeed.
Heh, I am using a free iPhone newsreader actually.
<Interested>
Go on, then. Which one?
<fx: marks thread interesting>
Nige
2009-12-31 16:50:30 UTC
Post by The Older Gentleman
Just thinking.
French run, mega speed & some great roads.

Done more miles this year than ever.

Some amazing sunday morning rides.
Post by The Older Gentleman
The lows
Having a few too many at the BOSM :(

Saying goodbye to the K12

Getting nabbed by the cops
Cab
2009-12-31 17:37:24 UTC
Post by The Older Gentleman
Just thinking.
The box at the French MotoGP
Some excellent runs around the North side of France
Great weather in Summer and Autumn
Not getting nabbed <fx: waits for usual remarks> on the bike
Hitting some excellent roads in Spain
Post by The Older Gentleman
The lows
Shite race at the French MotoGP
Shite weather in Winter and Spring
Missing the French run
c***@NOSPAM.netunix.com
2009-12-31 17:58:25 UTC
Highs:
Getting a bloody good price for the LE Velo.
Getting the Bantam nicely fettled (see below)
Finding someone willing to pay money for the SOJawa.
Fooling around on the 400 Four.
Pissing off an entire herd of Hardly riders by overtaking the entire
bloody rolling roadblock in one move on the shopping trolley.

Lows:
Realising that the Bantam paint is the wrong colour for the year, much
enjoyment to be had repainting it when the weather improves.
--
03 GS500K2
76 Honda 400/4 project
06 Sukida SK50QT (Slanty eyed shopping trolley)
Dr Ivan D. Reid
2009-12-31 20:30:37 UTC
Post by c***@NOSPAM.netunix.com
Pissing off an entire herd of Hardly riders by overtaking the entire
bloody rolling roadblock in one move on the shopping trolley.
<Heh!> Did that to a large group of Hells Angels once (had to cut
in halfway through for a car coming the other way). The ones on their
42WLAs couldn't do much, but all the CB/CL350s gave chase; I outran them
into Newcastle, doubling the recommended corner speeds -- on a Suzuki A100!
DozynSleepy
2009-12-31 18:02:33 UTC
Post by The Older Gentleman
Just thinking.
Elefant Rally, no question. Thank you, Mr Bonwick. Much hilarity, plenty
coldness, just one biking experience I'll never forget. (See lows)
The Elefantentreffen is definitely one of those unexplainable fun
things. Plenty of edge of seat "will he make it" moments with Hogs' BMW
charging problem. Although I hate to say it, your Tenere going up in
smoke was really funny.
Post by The Older Gentleman
The French Run. Always fun.
My first French Run was a joy.

Deciding that I *must* have a Ducati ST4s (see below) and then getting one.

Treating myself to an EXO2 Stormrider electrically heated vest and
Stormshield electrically heated gloves in preparation for next years
Elefantentreffen.
Post by The Older Gentleman
The lows
On the French Run having a lardy touring Ducati ST4s pulling away from
my supposedly supersport CBR600RR at every corner no matter how much I
wrung it's neck.

The bill for getting my ST4s fully serviced and the clutch replaced was
a bit of a drop jaw moment, but ultimately worth it.

I never managed to get a week away on the bike later in the summer.
--
DozynSleepy
Ducatenstein ST4s
Jeweller
2009-12-31 19:45:03 UTC
Post by The Older Gentleman
Just thinking.
Still enjoying the galleon in full sail.
Acquiring the Pegaso.
Post by The Older Gentleman
The lows
Getting a NIP within a week of acquiring the Peg.
Realising I'm not brave enough, or quick enough, to join the big boys on
a continental fun run.
--
R100RT
Aprilia Pegaso 650 IE "The Flying Mythos"
www.davidhowardjeweller.co.uk
Salad Dodger
2009-12-31 20:05:37 UTC
Post by Jeweller
Realising I'm not brave enough, or quick enough, to join the big boys on
a continental fun run.
Depends which type of fun run, but I've never let being slower than
Ginge on Prozac stop me from going along.

Neither has Spete.
Jeweller
2010-01-01 00:25:40 UTC
Post by Salad Dodger
Post by Jeweller
Realising I'm not brave enough, or quick enough, to join the big boys on
a continental fun run.
Depends which type of fun run, but I've never let being slower than
Ginge on Prozac stop me from going along.
Neither has Spete.
I'll have a chat with beloved.
s***@gonemail.com
2009-12-31 19:53:02 UTC
Post by The Older Gentleman
Elefant Rally, no question. Thank you, Mr Bonwick. Much hilarity, plenty
coldness, just one biking experience I'll never forget. (See lows)
Building a sidecar for going to the Elefant (OK a lot of that work was
in 2008).

The Elefant, it was far better in 2009 than 8, because the snow was
there when we arrived rather than chucking it down on the last day.

Slovenia- about 2000 miles to spend two evenings in a field:
http://www.sairach-club.si/fotogalerije/sairach_motozbor/sairach2009/
To be returned to. Hopefully soon.

Buying a litre bike again.

Chimay; aerosol cans on fires. Whoops.

Alps run; everyone else has said it but oh-my-fucking-god. In my case
about 3000 miles including my sojourn in France before. Busted in
France, Switzerland and Germany, road blocks, points on licenses,
threatening letters in German on my return. Wonderful.

And, I guess, looking forwards to next year; Elefant, IOM, Chimay and
maybe other stuff depending on work.

Oh, and since it's kindof biking related, stopping the condensation
problem in my garage. Hoo bloody rah.
Post by The Older Gentleman
The lows
Stopping the winter commute for the first time in about 8 years due to
my job moving to London and the train being so damn convenient (and
relatively cheap- 40 quid return vs about 25 quid in fuel and a load of
hassle).

Not riding the ZXR750 for another year. Just long enough to get it MOTd
and taxed.
Salad Dodger
2009-12-31 20:01:51 UTC
Post by The Older Gentleman
Just thinking.
I take it from the time this was posted, that it wasn't your Speed
Trip parked outside our office this lunchtime.
CB1300: every time I get on it, I enjoy it.

Pithiviers. Pip's joy at simply being there was most uplifting.

Scotland on the Wing. Especially Dornoch to Wick and back.

100% allrounder's on the RBR (again)<smug>

Getting the Wing sorted in double quick time in France.

The day out on the CBX.
Post by The Older Gentleman
The lows
Bouncing down the A13 in January.

The speed and efficiency of the MIB.

Discovering a deformed front Michelin on the Wing, in Tours. On a
Friday night.
Anyone else?
The Older Gentleman
2009-12-31 20:29:47 UTC
Post by Salad Dodger
I take it from the time this was posted, that it wasn't your Speed
Trip parked outside our office this lunchtime.
Nope, but you must HAGM.
Champ
2010-01-01 12:27:26 UTC
On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 20:01:51 +0000, Salad Dodger
Post by Salad Dodger
Pithiviers. Pip's joy at simply being there was most uplifting.
Wasn't it just.
Post by Salad Dodger
Post by The Older Gentleman
The lows
The speed and efficiency of the MIB.
Who?
--
Champ
We declare that the splendour of the world has been enriched by a new beauty: the beauty of speed.
neal at champ dot org dot uk
Salad Dodger
2010-01-01 13:00:38 UTC
Post by Champ
On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 20:01:51 +0000, Salad Dodger
Post by Salad Dodger
The lows
Motor Insurer's Bureau.
The Older Gentleman
2010-01-01 13:08:15 UTC
Post by Salad Dodger
Post by Champ
On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 20:01:51 +0000, Salad Dodger
Post by Salad Dodger
Post by The Older Gentleman
The lows
The speed and efficiency of the MIB.
Who?
Motor Insurer's Bureau.
God. I can't have been the only one thinking 'Men In Black'.
Timo at Work
2009-12-31 20:31:57 UTC
Post by The Older Gentleman
Just thinking.
Highs:
- Quick bike trip to my mum's at Easter
- Buying another Morini, even if it is in bits now

Lows:
- Having to drop out of the French Run due to plumbing issues at home
- No proper biking holiday this year
Cane
2009-12-31 21:01:33 UTC
Post by The Older Gentleman
The lows
Selling my bikes.

Dunno what I'll do in 2010.
darsy
2009-12-31 23:53:59 UTC
Post by Cane
Post by The Older Gentleman
The lows
Selling my bikes.
Dunno what I'll do in 2010.
really go gay.
d.
Cane
2010-01-01 10:17:58 UTC
Post by darsy
Post by Cane
Post by The Older Gentleman
The lows
Selling my bikes.
Dunno what I'll do in 2010.
really go gay.
Nah, don't like 12Rs
darsy
2010-01-01 10:32:27 UTC
Post by Cane
Post by darsy
Post by Cane
Post by The Older Gentleman
The lows
Selling my bikes.
Dunno what I'll do in 2010.
really go gay.
Nah, don't like 12Rs
et tu, bitchey!
d.
Cane
2010-01-01 10:33:37 UTC
Post by darsy
Post by Cane
Post by darsy
Post by Cane
Post by The Older Gentleman
The lows
Selling my bikes.
Dunno what I'll do in 2010.
really go gay.
Nah, don't like 12Rs
et tu, bitchey!
Quite fancy a Busa though.
darsy
2010-01-01 11:24:44 UTC
Post by Cane
Post by darsy
Post by Cane
Post by darsy
Post by Cane
Post by The Older Gentleman
The lows
Selling my bikes.
Dunno what I'll do in 2010.
really go gay.
Nah, don't like 12Rs
et tu, bitchey!
Quite fancy a Busa though.
it's quite the "mid-life-crisis" bike, isn't it?
d.
Colin Irvine
http://www.colinandpat.co.uk
Champ
2010-01-01 12:34:20 UTC
Post by darsy
Post by Cane
Post by darsy
Post by Cane
Post by darsy
Post by Cane
Post by The Older Gentleman
The lows
Selling my bikes.
Dunno what I'll do in 2010.
really go gay.
Nah, don't like 12Rs
et tu, bitchey!
Quite fancy a Busa though.
it's quite the "mid-life-crisis" bike, isn't it?
*waves*

<flicks Vs at Colin>
neal at champ dot org dot uk
Nige
2010-01-01 11:26:24 UTC
Post by Cane
Post by darsy
Post by Cane
Post by darsy
Post by Cane
Post by The Older Gentleman
The lows
Selling my bikes.
Dunno what I'll do in 2010.
really go gay.
Nah, don't like 12Rs
et tu, bitchey!
Quite fancy a Busa though.
K12!
--
Nige,

BMW K1200S
Honda Transalp XL600V
Yamaha R1
Range Rover Vogue
Lozzo
2010-01-01 12:22:25 UTC
Post by Cane
Post by darsy
Post by Cane
Post by darsy
Post by Cane
Post by The Older Gentleman
The lows
Selling my bikes.
Dunno what I'll do in 2010.
really go gay.
Nah, don't like 12Rs
et tu, bitchey!
Quite fancy a Busa though.
K12!
Don't be such a cunt!
--
Lozzo
Versys 650 Tourer, CBR600F-W racebike in the making, SR250 SpazzTrakka,
Garage clearout - Yamaha SpazzTrakka 250 for sale, email for details
Nige
2010-01-01 12:42:24 UTC
Post by Lozzo
Post by Cane
Post by darsy
Post by Cane
Post by darsy
Post by Cane
Post by The Older Gentleman
The lows
Selling my bikes.
Dunno what I'll do in 2010.
really go gay.
Nah, don't like 12Rs
et tu, bitchey!
Quite fancy a Busa though.
K12!
Don't be such a cunt!
Fuck off back to alt.hospital.agony where your sort are tolerated :)

GWS btw.
--
Nige,

BMW K1200S
Honda Transalp XL600V
Yamaha R1
Range Rover Vogue
antonye
2009-12-31 22:34:50 UTC
The French Run, as always; stretching the legs on the
748 for the first time in ages.
Leaving my job and spending lots of time on bike stuff.
A couple of track days on the 748 and the race bike.
Riding the Hypermotard: it's still bonkers.
Buying another bike; that makes it 4 now.
Post by The Older Gentleman
The lows
Not too many really. Weather has been a bit shit sometimes
but other than that (oh, and a bust indicator on the 'Tard)
it was all gravy.

Antony
Fr Jack
2009-12-31 22:46:07 UTC
***@yahoo.co.uk (The Older Gentleman) spewed forth:

My highs

Getting another bike and paying two-thirds of fuck all for it.

Discovering a comfy bike that isn't a big trailie, full-on tourer or
retro-style...

The lows

Not putting enough miles under the tyres.

The bloody relentless rain.
--
Fr. Jack

I hear you talking but the words are kinda strange
R C Nesbit
2010-01-01 00:01:01 UTC
Post by The Older Gentleman
The lows
The bloody relentless rain.
Move from Leigh then ;)
--
Rob_P
UKRM(at)indqualtec.co.uk
Looks like Rab C Nesbit.
BrianNZ
2009-12-31 22:51:28 UTC
It seems most of the Pomgolian highlights happen out of their own country??
wessie
2009-12-31 23:03:13 UTC
Post by BrianNZ
It seems most of the Pomgolian highlights happen out of their own country??
and you should be very afraid. We're not all like the genial giants of the
expeditionary bodies.
--
wessie at tesco dot net

BMW R1150GS
The Older Gentleman
2010-01-01 09:28:15 UTC
Post by BrianNZ
It seems most of the Pomgolian highlights happen out of their own country??
Misbehaviour "doesn't count in Foreign"
s***@gonemail.com
2010-01-01 09:50:43 UTC
Post by The Older Gentleman
Post by BrianNZ
It seems most of the Pomgolian highlights happen out of their own country??
Misbehaviour "doesn't count in Foreign"
The fines do though- I think the total for the Alps trip was:
Germany - €1300
Switzerland- 1420CHF (approx €1000)
France - €90

However no threat to license or liberty. Marvellous.
BrianNZ
2010-01-01 11:15:42 UTC
Post by s***@gonemail.com
Post by The Older Gentleman
Post by BrianNZ
It seems most of the Pomgolian highlights happen out of their own country??
Misbehaviour "doesn't count in Foreign"
Germany - €1300
Switzerland- 1420CHF (approx €1000)
France - €90
However no threat to license or liberty. Marvellous.
Shite! Thats a bit steep! No threat to licence is a good thing but you
loose liberty doing the overtime to pay the fines.
Champ
2010-01-01 12:36:31 UTC
Post by BrianNZ
Post by The Older Gentleman
Post by BrianNZ
It seems most of the Pomgolian highlights happen out of their own country??
Misbehaviour "doesn't count in Foreign"
Germany - €1300
Switzerland- 1420CHF (approx €1000)
France - €90
However no threat to license or liberty. Marvellous.
Shite! Thats a bit steep! No threat to licence is a good thing but you
loose liberty doing the overtime to pay the fines.
Ah, but it was split between a number of us. I think the worst was
Steve who had 90 + 350 + 260 ish
neal at champ dot org dot uk
The Older Gentleman
2010-01-01 11:28:48 UTC
Post by s***@gonemail.com
Post by The Older Gentleman
Misbehaviour "doesn't count in Foreign"
Germany - €1300
Switzerland- 1420CHF (approx €1000)
France - €90
I stil think that was a magnificent achievement by all concerned. I was
logging onto ukrm all the time, laughing my socks off at the latest
escapade, and eagerly awaiting the next instalment. Men behaving badly
to the max. Well done.
BryanUT
2009-12-31 23:28:26 UTC
Post by The Older Gentleman
Just thinking.
Elefant Rally, no question. Thank you, Mr Bonwick. Much hilarity, plenty
coldness, just one biking experience I'll never forget. (See lows)
Thank you sir for the cross-post. I enjoyed the read and all the
comments.

Me? No "big ride" this year. The tires wore out early and I didn't
have the $ to replace them and carry on.

I had a few good commutes though.

Hoping for a better year in 2010 and meeting up again with my friends
from reeky (rec.motorcycles / actualriders) in New Mexico next year.
I won't seek out speeding tickets, but if I get one, so what? Fuck
the coppers.

Cheers.
The Older Gentleman
2010-01-01 09:28:15 UTC
Post by BryanUT
Hoping for a better year in 2010 and meeting up again with my friends
from reeky (rec.motorcycles / actualriders) in New Mexico next year.
<Interested>

The Doctor and I were musing about visiting our friends in Albuquerque
this year....
R C Nesbit
2010-01-01 00:01:01 UTC
Riding the bike on the few occasions I managed to do so.
Post by The Older Gentleman
The lows
Not riding the bike enough

(Sort of) being made redundant in June, reducing the opportunities to
ride.

Oh, and as the fireworks are going off on the tellybox,

HNY to one and all.
Looks like Rab C Nesbit.
sleazy
2010-01-01 00:02:56 UTC
Post by The Older Gentleman
Anyone else?
Highs:

One large lap around the entire United States on a two week walkabout.
Got to see a whole bunch of new stuff, meet some absolutely wonderful
strangers in this country and have an outstanding time doing it.

Finally getting to meet some of the other members of the Actual Riders
board in person during the Tellico Plains gathering.

Clocking over 24k (s)miles of fun on two wheels.

Adding a Triumph Daytona and a monster dirt bike to the garage.

Lows:

Lost a good friend due to a serious communications misunderstanding and
he won't even make an effort to contact me again. This is a man I rode
many miles alongside for several years. I miss chatting online and in
person with him and his wife.

Missed out on a meeting with Keith due to my stupidity and pig headedness.

Being unable to get into Canada for Don's ride in September.
--
sleazy
2001 BMW R1150GS
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
Mark Olson
2010-01-01 00:19:07 UTC
Post by sleazy
One large lap around the entire United States on a two week walkabout.
Got to see a whole bunch of new stuff, meet some absolutely wonderful
strangers in this country and have an outstanding time doing it.
Went to Glacier National Park (in the c*r) and saw bears.
Post by sleazy
Finally getting to meet some of the other members of the Actual Riders
board in person during the Tellico Plains gathering.
Ditto. Did almost a 3000 mile trip on the FJR, the wife was on her EX250.
Wrung that little bike's neck and it still runs like new with 16k miles on
the clock.
Post by sleazy
Adding a Triumph Daytona and a monster dirt bike to the garage.
Added a VF500F to mine, it's brill.
Post by sleazy
Lost a good friend due to a serious communications misunderstanding and
he won't even make an effort to contact me again. This is a man I rode
many miles alongside for several years. I miss chatting online and in
person with him and his wife.
That is truly awful.
Post by sleazy
Missed out on a meeting with Keith due to my stupidity and pig headedness.
Me too, although in my case it was stupidity and lack of planning.
Post by sleazy
Being unable to get into Canada for Don's ride in September.
Went in just to say we did for about 2 hours. Thought about visiting
Don too but there wasn't time, really.
doetnietcomputeren
2010-01-01 00:23:21 UTC
Post by Mark Olson
Post by sleazy
One large lap around the entire United States
Also did that, but not on a bike.
Post by Mark Olson
Went to Glacier National Park (in the c*r) and saw bears.
Did that too, but no bears. Did see bears, including one that was way
too close and get caught in a bison road block in Yellowstone though.
Dnc
mark
2010-01-01 00:18:25 UTC
Post by The Older Gentleman
Just thinking.
Owning a Sprint.
Riding round west Scotland (and some islands) in the pouring rain.
Post by The Older Gentleman
The lows
My youngest girl turning into a bloody teenager :(
Mark Roberts
wessie
2010-01-01 00:33:58 UTC
Post by mark
Post by The Older Gentleman
The lows
My youngest girl turning into a bloody teenager :(
Oh dear. Never good, but in a bike related thread...
--
wessie at tesco dot net

BMW R1150GS
Nige
2010-01-01 01:19:06 UTC
Post by mark
In m
My youngest girl turning into a bloody teenager :(
Carrie?
mark
2010-01-01 11:46:37 UTC
In message <***@mid.individual.net>, Nige <***@btinternet.com>
writes
Post by Nige
Post by mark
In m
My youngest girl turning into a bloody teenager :(
Carrie?
Now you mention it.......
Mark Roberts
BrianNZ
Tampons?
S'mee
2010-01-01 04:45:22 UTC
Post by The Older Gentleman
Just thinking.
Getting the wife a FIRST blue 09 ninjette in MT.

Settleing in the rings and bedding in the brakes of her ninjette for
her...priceless.

Knocking off a 1300+ mile in 24 hour ride to help a friend get away
from her husband delightful.
Post by The Older Gentleman
The lows
Not enough miles on my wing due to that little blue bike.

had to get rid of the failing heater in the garage...no heat. It get's
to -40F where I live.

the displaced pelvis has kicked in and killing me in spades.
Keith
Richard Smith
2010-01-01 11:33:28 UTC
Post by The Older Gentleman
Just thinking.
Surviving.

Elefant, Slovenia, Chimay were all good. Often, mishaps simply lead to new
and rewarding endeavours - when Bonwick's satnav dumped us in the wrong
country, I enjoyed a hundred-mile flat-out rant across the Low Countries to
make the ferry. This was much more fun than simply turning up at the ferry
port on time. Plus, it wasn't my fault.

Slovenia: a three-figure solo blast across Austria in the gathering gloom,
knowing there was food, booze and company at the end, and the reciprocal run
the following day in blazing sunshine. The girl at the filling station near
Ziri, struggling to communicate in correct English (and getting it right).
Being described as a responsible adult. The dirndl-attired babes(ish) in
the beer hall in Traunstein.

Other stuff.
Post by The Older Gentleman
The lows
Having to spend most of Saturday sorting out the chain on the VFR in May.

Faceplanting the autobahn - but the blast home the next day was good. Once
I crossed the lines back into France, it was sunshine all the way.