Clothing advice please
Jeremy
2010-10-12 08:54:59 UTC
** (posted first to ukrmc by accident)

End of this month I am riding to Germany with a group and we will be
riding the Nurburgring (exclusive use!)

I have only ever worn my leathers in the dry/mild-warm weather.

On my list to consider:
- Decent, waterproof gloves (I have been thoroughly soaked before on
continental trips and don't fancy soggy gloves ever again!)
- Waterproof oversuit (or separates)
- Fleece of some kind
- Thermal undersuit
- Bumbag for valuables and documents

Really would appreciate comments and any specific product
recommendations.
--
jeremy
K1200S
ogden
2010-10-12 08:59:06 UTC
Post by Jeremy
** (posted first to ukrmc by accident)
End of this month I am riding to Germany with a group and we will be
riding the Nurburgring (exclusive use!)
I have only ever worn my leathers in the dry/mild-warm weather.
- Decent, waterproof gloves (I have been thoroughly soaked before on
continental trips and don't fancy soggy gloves ever again!)
- Waterproof oversuit (or separates)
- Fleece of some kind
- Thermal undersuit
- Bumbag for valuables and documents
Really would appreciate comments and any specific product
recommendations.
Just pop down to your local HG and ask them to sort you out.

Glove-wise, unless you want something heated then Alpinestars Jet Roads
seem to do the job. Or Alpinestars 365s if you want something leather
and track-friendly (but still goretex-lined).
--
ogden

gsxr1000 - the gentleman's sports-tourer
ktm duke - the practical cross-town commuter
CT
2010-10-12 09:10:37 UTC
Post by ogden
Just pop down to your local HG and ask them to sort you out.
*ding*
Post by ogden
Glove-wise, unless you want something heated then Alpinestars Jet
Roads seem to do the job. Or Alpinestars 365s if you want something
leather and track-friendly (but still goretex-lined).
Plus, I think that ensuring that any new jacket/glove combination
allows you to get the cuff of the jacket over the end of the glove as
well as the other way round is a good plan. If it's really pissing
down I prefer the jacket over the gloves.
Chris
Catman
2010-10-12 10:31:52 UTC
Post by CT
Post by ogden
Just pop down to your local HG and ask them to sort you out.
*ding*
+1
Post by CT
Post by ogden
Glove-wise, unless you want something heated then Alpinestars Jet
Roads seem to do the job. Or Alpinestars 365s if you want something
leather and track-friendly (but still goretex-lined).
Plus, I think that ensuring that any new jacket/glove combination
allows you to get the cuff of the jacket over the end of the glove as
well as the other way round is a good plan. If it's really pissing
down I prefer the jacket over the gloves.
I have HG Lobster Pathans. They are totally waterproof[1], but I could
never get the cuff of the jacket over them.

[1] I know this cos when they filled up, they never leaked out.
116 Giulietta 3.0l Sprint 1.7 GTV TS GT 3.2 V6
Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
ogden
2010-10-12 10:49:18 UTC
Post by Catman
I have HG Lobster Pathans. They are totally waterproof[1], but I could
never get the cuff of the jacket over them.
[1] I know this cos when they filled up, they never leaked out.
Ha. And they take days to dry out afterwards as a result.

I had Pathans, but replaced them with a range of Alpinestars last year
after they failed miserably to cope with the rain on the way back from
the Alps.

Catman
2010-10-12 10:55:54 UTC
Post by ogden
Post by Catman
I have HG Lobster Pathans. They are totally waterproof[1], but I could
never get the cuff of the jacket over them.
[1] I know this cos when they filled up, they never leaked out.
Ha. And they take days to dry out afterwards as a result.
True. I lament the demise of the CRT monitor, and poorly ventilated
machine cabinets.
Post by ogden
I had Pathans, but replaced them with a range of Alpinestars last year
after they failed miserably to cope with the rain on the way back from
the Alps.
When they give up, they seem to give up all at once. I have two pairs
ATM, the older ones, the lining comes out when I take my hand out. I
should really bin them since I only commute if there's a tube strike and
/ or it's sunny these days.
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
ogden
2010-10-12 11:08:37 UTC
Post by Catman
Post by ogden
I had Pathans, but replaced them with a range of Alpinestars last year
after they failed miserably to cope with the rain on the way back from
the Alps.
When they give up, they seem to give up all at once. I have two pairs
ATM, the older ones, the lining comes out when I take my hand out.#
All lined gloves are like that. The answer is silk inners.

Catman
2010-10-12 11:20:36 UTC
Post by ogden
Post by Catman
Post by ogden
I had Pathans, but replaced them with a range of Alpinestars last year
after they failed miserably to cope with the rain on the way back from
the Alps.
When they give up, they seem to give up all at once. I have two pairs
ATM, the older ones, the lining comes out when I take my hand out.#
All lined gloves are like that. The answer is silk inners.
Well the new ones aren't yet, but I take you point. I had heated inners
as well.
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Andy Bonwick
2010-10-12 11:21:09 UTC
Post by ogden
Post by Catman
Post by ogden
I had Pathans, but replaced them with a range of Alpinestars last year
after they failed miserably to cope with the rain on the way back from
the Alps.
When they give up, they seem to give up all at once. I have two pairs
ATM, the older ones, the lining comes out when I take my hand out.#
All lined gloves are like that. The answer is silk inners.
I find that silk liners get shredded by the velcro on gloves and if
it's extra warmth you want then you're better off getting slightly
larger gloves and wearing a pair of cold killers as under gloves.

I use some thin wool gloves under my Pathans which means they're just
about as warm as my heated gloves but without the faffing about
connecting cables every time. They also have the added benefit of
being a hell of a lot warmer than silk gloves when you're scrabbling
about trying to light fires...
ogden
2010-10-12 11:40:42 UTC
Post by Andy Bonwick
Post by ogden
Post by Catman
Post by ogden
I had Pathans, but replaced them with a range of Alpinestars last year
after they failed miserably to cope with the rain on the way back from
the Alps.
When they give up, they seem to give up all at once. I have two pairs
ATM, the older ones, the lining comes out when I take my hand out.#
All lined gloves are like that. The answer is silk inners.
I find that silk liners get shredded by the velcro on gloves
I get through two or three sets a year because the fingertips are torn
to shreds by the velcro on my jacket pockets.
Post by Andy Bonwick
and if
it's extra warmth you want then you're better off getting slightly
larger gloves and wearing a pair of cold killers as under gloves.
My primary reason for wearing the inners is it makes it so much easier
to get lined gloves on and off. The extra insulation is just a bonus.

Nige
2010-10-12 19:39:18 UTC
Post by Andy Bonwick
Post by ogden
Post by Catman
Post by ogden
I had Pathans, but replaced them with a range of Alpinestars last year
after they failed miserably to cope with the rain on the way back from
the Alps.
When they give up, they seem to give up all at once. I have two pairs
ATM, the older ones, the lining comes out when I take my hand out.#
All lined gloves are like that. The answer is silk inners.
I find that silk liners get shredded by the velcro on gloves and if
it's extra warmth you want then you're better off getting slightly
larger gloves and wearing a pair of cold killers as under gloves.
I always have a few pairs of the gloves from petrol stations for diesel, put
them between some decent gloves & inners, you'll never get wet pinkies!
CT
2010-10-12 11:15:03 UTC
Post by Catman
I have HG Lobster Pathans.
I do too. I got them as they were the ukrm clit glove and everyone
raved about them.

I hate them - I imagine that that is what it's like trying to ride in
boxing gloves.
Post by Catman
They are totally waterproof[1], but I could never get the cuff of the
jacket over them.
That too.
Post by Catman
[1] I know this cos when they filled up, they never leaked out.
heh
Chris
Catman
2010-10-12 11:21:20 UTC
Post by CT
Post by Catman
I have HG Lobster Pathans.
I do too. I got them as they were the ukrm clit glove and everyone
raved about them.
Indeed.
Post by CT
I hate them - I imagine that that is what it's like trying to ride in
boxing gloves.
Really, I find them fine. No problem at all.
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
darsy
2010-10-12 09:19:18 UTC
Post by ogden
Glove-wise, unless you want something heated then Alpinestars Jet Roads
seem to do the job. Or Alpinestars 365s if you want something leather
and track-friendly (but still goretex-lined).
to sort of second this, my waterproof gloves are Alpinestars
/somethings/ and they're seriously truly waterproof.
d.
ginge
2010-10-12 09:24:03 UTC
Post by darsy
Post by ogden
Glove-wise, unless you want something heated then Alpinestars Jet Roads
seem to do the job. Or Alpinestars 365s if you want something leather
and track-friendly (but still goretex-lined).
to sort of second this, my waterproof gloves are Alpinestars
/somethings/ and they're seriously truly waterproof.
And taking this in a different direction, I've got some cheap shelltex
ones from HG. They've done 8 continuous hours in the rain just fine,
if you're after an occasional use option.

My summer gloves are alpinestars though, and they're fantastic.
Champ
2010-10-12 10:01:13 UTC
On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 10:24:03 +0100, ginge
Post by ginge
Post by darsy
Post by ogden
Glove-wise, unless you want something heated then Alpinestars Jet Roads
seem to do the job. Or Alpinestars 365s if you want something leather
and track-friendly (but still goretex-lined).
to sort of second this, my waterproof gloves are Alpinestars
/somethings/ and they're seriously truly waterproof.
And taking this in a different direction, I've got some cheap shelltex
ones from HG. They've done 8 continuous hours in the rain just fine,
if you're after an occasional use option.
And to add to this, my waterproof gloves are fucking useless in
combination with my one-piece oversuit, cos (at least on the 10R), the
water runs straight down my arms and into the gloves the first time I
hit the brakes.
--
Champ
We declare that the splendor of the world has been enriched by a new beauty: the beauty of speed.
neal at champ dot org dot uk
ginge
Put the oversuit cuffs outside of the gloves YTC.
Champ
2010-10-12 10:19:24 UTC
On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 11:08:03 +0100, ginge
Post by ginge
Post by Champ
And to add to this, my waterproof gloves are fucking useless in
combination with my one-piece oversuit, cos (at least on the 10R), the
water runs straight down my arms and into the gloves the first time I
hit the brakes.
Put the oversuit cuffs outside of the gloves YTC.
You think I don't know that?

The oversuit has tight elasticated cuffs, which can't be stretched
over the gloves. YTC.
neal at champ dot org dot uk
CT
2010-10-12 10:09:15 UTC
Post by Champ
And to add to this, my waterproof gloves are fucking useless in
combination with my one-piece oversuit, cos (at least on the 10R), the
water runs straight down my arms and into the gloves the first time I
hit the brakes.
That's exactly why I and Pete F have said it's a good thing to be able
to get the jacket cuff *over* the glove.
Chris
Champ
2010-10-12 10:18:15 UTC
Post by CT
Post by Champ
And to add to this, my waterproof gloves are fucking useless in
combination with my one-piece oversuit, cos (at least on the 10R), the
water runs straight down my arms and into the gloves the first time I
hit the brakes.
That's exactly why I and Pete F have said it's a good thing to be able
to get the jacket cuff *over* the glove.
Yes. I know.

I was making the point that no good how waterproof your gloves are,
unless your waterproof outer-layer allows you to put the gloves
inside, or has some sort of storm-cuff capability, you're wasting your
time.
neal at champ dot org dot uk
CT
2010-10-12 10:23:06 UTC
Post by Champ
I was making the point that no good how waterproof your gloves are,
unless your waterproof outer-layer allows you to put the gloves
inside, or has some sort of storm-cuff capability, you're wasting your
time.
Well, you didn't make it nearly clearly enough for me!
Chris
Ace
2010-10-12 11:45:09 UTC
Post by Champ
Post by CT
Post by Champ
And to add to this, my waterproof gloves are fucking useless in
combination with my one-piece oversuit, cos (at least on the 10R), the
water runs straight down my arms and into the gloves the first time I
hit the brakes.
That's exactly why I and Pete F have said it's a good thing to be able
to get the jacket cuff *over* the glove.
Yes. I know.
I was making the point that no good how waterproof your gloves are,
unless your waterproof outer-layer allows you to put the gloves
inside, or has some sort of storm-cuff capability, you're wasting your
time.
And also, especially when when riding down French autoroutes, they
need some magic way of getting themselves back on each hand without
using the other. Once you get even a little wet into the cuff
capillary action will render them waterlogged in no time at all.
ogden
2010-10-12 11:49:45 UTC
Post by Ace
Post by Champ
Post by CT
Post by Champ
[...]
Why on French autoroutes? Or is this a péage booth thing?

My jacket has a credit-card sized pocket on the left wrist, which means
I never really need to take my gloves off mid-journey. Unless I need a
piss, anyway.

Ace
2010-10-12 13:02:26 UTC
Post by ogden
Post by Ace
Post by Champ
I was making the point that no good how waterproof your gloves are,
unless your waterproof outer-layer allows you to put the gloves
inside, or has some sort of storm-cuff capability, you're wasting your
time.
And also, especially when when riding down French autoroutes, they
need some magic way of getting themselves back on each hand without
using the other. Once you get even a little wet into the cuff
capillary action will render them waterlogged in no time at all.
Why on French autoroutes? Or is this a péage booth thing?
Yeah. Getting gloves on and off is often the catalyst for the dam to
burst, as it were. I remember one time riding down here from the
channel; it had been pissing it down, like really torrential stuff,
for a couple of hours, but still my winter goretex skiing gloves, with
the wristbands beneath my jacket, were doing their business, until I
had to stop at a booth between Metz and Strasbourg. By the time I'd
wrestled them back on they were a) wet and b) not so well tucked, so a
couple of hours later when I got to Base, my fingers were literally in
a warm water bath, as they outer waterproofing was still holding fast.

Even then, they were warm enough, until the next time I had to take
them off, for petrol; once they were cold it was fucking torture.
Yeah, modern designs can make a massive difference.
Pete Fisher
2010-10-12 11:49:55 UTC
Post by Ace
Post by Champ
Post by CT
Post by Champ
[...]
The "best pillion passenger in the world" should be in charge of such
matters. Fortunately, the only times I have ridden solo on an autoroute
the weather has been glorious.
| Pete Fisher at Home: ***@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk |
| Voxan Roadster Yamaha WR250Z/Supermoto "Old Gimmer's Hillclimber" |
| Gilera GFR * 2 Moto Morini 2C/375 Morini 350 "Forgotten Error" |
Pete Fisher
2010-10-12 09:59:38 UTC
Post by darsy
Post by ogden
Glove-wise, unless you want something heated then Alpinestars Jet Roads
seem to do the job. Or Alpinestars 365s if you want something leather
and track-friendly (but still goretex-lined).
to sort of second this, my waterproof gloves are Alpinestars
/somethings/ and they're seriously truly waterproof.
Drystars?

That's what I use. So long as you can do the jacket cuff over glove cuff
thing they are fine. Though a bit 'sweaty' and comedic when it's time to
take them off after a long ride. Otherwise Rukka overmits over leather
gloves. Utterly waterproof but a bit slippery on the throttle until the
shine has gone, which mine did long ago (and off the gloves).
ogden
2010-10-12 10:11:11 UTC
Post by Pete Fisher
Post by darsy
Post by ogden
Glove-wise, unless you want something heated then Alpinestars Jet Roads
seem to do the job. Or Alpinestars 365s if you want something leather
and track-friendly (but still goretex-lined).
to sort of second this, my waterproof gloves are Alpinestars
/somethings/ and they're seriously truly waterproof.
Drystars?
That's what I use. So long as you can do the jacket cuff over glove cuff
thing they are fine. Though a bit 'sweaty' and comedic when it's time to
take them off after a long ride.
I always wear silk inners under lined gloves. Makes getting the gloves
on and off a complete doddle and provides an extra layer of insulation.

Pete Fisher
2010-10-12 10:26:44 UTC
Post by ogden
Post by Pete Fisher
Post by darsy
Post by ogden
Glove-wise, unless you want something heated then Alpinestars Jet Roads
seem to do the job. Or Alpinestars 365s if you want something leather
and track-friendly (but still goretex-lined).
to sort of second this, my waterproof gloves are Alpinestars
/somethings/ and they're seriously truly waterproof.
Drystars?
That's what I use. So long as you can do the jacket cuff over glove cuff
thing they are fine. Though a bit 'sweaty' and comedic when it's time to
take them off after a long ride.
I always wear silk inners under lined gloves. Makes getting the gloves
on and off a complete doddle and provides an extra layer of insulation.
I used to have some years ago, along with a pure silk balaclava, which I
still have, and a black silk scarf. The latter used to flap jauntily
from beneath my Everoak helmet and above my Pride & Clarke leather
jacket as I blatted around on my Matchless 250 G2. Like a wuss, I
stopped wearing it like that after seeing a documentary about the life,
or rather more relevant to my ramblings, death in a Bugatti, of Isadora
Duncan.
Lozzo
2010-10-12 21:36:40 UTC
Post by darsy
Post by ogden
Glove-wise, unless you want something heated then Alpinestars Jet
Roads seem to do the job. Or Alpinestars 365s if you want something
leather and track-friendly (but still goretex-lined).
to sort of second this, my waterproof gloves are Alpinestars
/somethings/ and they're seriously truly waterproof.
My best pair of winter gloves are a cheapie set that cost 7 quid from
Lidl... seriously. I only bought them as a spare pair to wear while the
others were drying out or until I could get home and refit the finger
linings, and they've proven themselves to be better at keeping me warm
and dry than anything else I've owned.

My HG Pathans did well, but eventually started leaking after 7 or 8
years and I needed to wear a inner gloves when it got very cold, and
the quite pricey Held ones I bought a couple of years ago have
decorative 'waterproof' membranes that pull out of the glove when you
remove your hands - it takes about an hour to refit the inner lining
every time this happens, which is why I bought the Lidl ones, because
they did this right outside a Lidl shop.
--
Lozzo
Versys 650 Tourer, CBR600F-W racebike in the making, TS250C, RD400F
they churn out)
sweller
2010-10-16 17:38:02 UTC
Post by darsy
Post by ogden
Glove-wise, unless you want something heated then Alpinestars Jet
Roads seem to do the job. Or Alpinestars 365s if you want something
leather and track-friendly (but still goretex-lined).
to sort of second this, my waterproof gloves are Alpinestars
somethings and they're seriously truly waterproof.
Bering /somethings/ - but I think I've killed them by trying to use the
Armstrong's exhaust to put it on the centre stand...
Simon
Jeremy
2010-10-13 12:52:37 UTC
Post by ogden
Post by Jeremy
** (posted first to ukrmc by accident)
End of this month I am riding to Germany with a group and we will be
riding the Nurburgring (exclusive use!)
I have only ever worn my leathers in the dry/mild-warm weather.
- Decent, waterproof gloves (I have been thoroughly soaked before on
continental trips and don't fancy soggy gloves ever again!)
- Waterproof oversuit (or separates)
- Fleece of some kind
- Thermal undersuit
- Bumbag for valuables and documents
Really would appreciate comments and any specific product
recommendations.
Just pop down to your local HG and ask them to sort you out.
Forgot to mention - must keep *some* control over costs..
Post by ogden
Glove-wise, unless you want something heated then Alpinestars Jet Roads
seem to do the job. Or Alpinestars 365s if you want something leather
and track-friendly (but still goretex-lined).
Noted.
--
jeremy
K1200S
ogden
2010-10-15 08:07:50 UTC
Post by Jeremy
Post by ogden
Post by Jeremy
** (posted first to ukrmc by accident)
End of this month I am riding to Germany with a group and we will be
riding the Nurburgring (exclusive use!)
I have only ever worn my leathers in the dry/mild-warm weather.
- Decent, waterproof gloves (I have been thoroughly soaked before on
continental trips and don't fancy soggy gloves ever again!)
- Waterproof oversuit (or separates)
- Fleece of some kind
- Thermal undersuit
- Bumbag for valuables and documents
Really would appreciate comments and any specific product
recommendations.
Just pop down to your local HG and ask them to sort you out.
Forgot to mention - must keep *some* control over costs..
It doesn't have to mean spunking a grand on a Master V suit. But they
will be able to sort out everything you mention above (possibly with the
exception of the bumbag but you can hit ebay for one of those).

For the waterproof suit I have an HG one, about 50 quid, that's
completely waterproof if a bit sweaty. It's a one-piece, which I'd
recommend over a two-piece any day unless you really like having water
creep up your abdomen.

For the undersuit, other people have recommended EDZ, I'll do the same.

Kevin
2010-10-15 08:46:00 UTC
Post by ogden
For the waterproof suit I have an HG one, about 50 quid, that's
completely waterproof if a bit sweaty. It's a one-piece, which I'd
recommend over a two-piece any day unless you really like having water
creep up your abdomen.
We've used 2-piece waterproofs for years. We find they're much easier
to get on and off, either piece can be worn on its own, it's much
easier to use the loo than with a one-piece and, despite a fair bit of
riding in torrential rain, neither of us has had a damp abdomen (or a
damp anything else come to that).

Mine are made by Spada, L has Alpinestars trousers and a Spidi top.

Kevin
--
'10 1400GTR,'08 R1200GS,'07 K8 Hayabusa,'05 FJR, '02 Dyna Super Glide,'90 FJ12

http://thewellers.net/
Colin Irvine
2010-10-15 11:26:11 UTC
Post by Kevin
Post by ogden
For the waterproof suit I have an HG one, about 50 quid, that's
completely waterproof if a bit sweaty. It's a one-piece, which I'd
recommend over a two-piece any day unless you really like having water
creep up your abdomen.
We've used 2-piece waterproofs for years. We find they're much easier
to get on and off, either piece can be worn on its own, it's much
easier to use the loo than with a one-piece and, despite a fair bit of
riding in torrential rain, neither of us has had a damp abdomen (or a
damp anything else come to that).
Mine are made by Spada, L has Alpinestars trousers and a Spidi top.
I used to rely on waterproof overtrousers, and however far up my chest
I tugged the waistband I always ended up with a wet chest after an
hour or two. Salopettes solved that.
--
Colin Irvine
ZZR1400 BOF#33 BONY#34 COFF#06 BHaLC#5
http://www.colinandpat.co.uk
Andy Bonwick
2010-10-12 09:24:09 UTC
Post by Jeremy
** (posted first to ukrmc by accident)
End of this month I am riding to Germany with a group and we will be
riding the Nurburgring (exclusive use!)
I have only ever worn my leathers in the dry/mild-warm weather.
- Decent, waterproof gloves (I have been thoroughly soaked before on
continental trips and don't fancy soggy gloves ever again!)
- Waterproof oversuit (or separates)
- Fleece of some kind
- Thermal undersuit
- Bumbag for valuables and documents
Really would appreciate comments and any specific product
recommendations.
I'd just wear my normal leathers with a windproof fleece over the top.
Bungee a set of one piece waterproofs on the seat and away you go.

I use an EDZ suit under my leathers but it's only a lightweight one
because it makes it easier to get my leathers off at the end of the
day and if I get cold I can put my waterproofs on to keep the wind
off.

I'd use a small tankbag rather than a bumbag and shove spare gloves in
there where they're easy to get at.
wessie
2010-10-12 09:50:15 UTC
Post by Andy Bonwick
I'd use a small tankbag rather than a bumbag and shove spare gloves in
there where they're easy to get at.
yes, a 2nd pair of gloves is nice. I hate putting damp gloves back on after
a fuel stop. Even though the gloves kept your hands "dry" the lining will
be damp from sweat and the outer layer, outside the goretex membrane, will
be soaked. The cold wet lump just sucks the warmth out of your hands as
soon as you put them on. A nice toasty pair from the tank bag means you get
the benefit of the heated grips immediately.

Of course, in reality, for me this doesn't happen in winter because I have
a set of muffs on the bars...
Andy Bonwick
2010-10-12 10:20:23 UTC
On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 09:50:15 +0000 (UTC), wessie
<***@tesco.net> wrote:

snip>
Post by wessie
Of course, in reality, for me this doesn't happen in winter because I have
a set of muffs on the bars...
I'm probably (1) going to fit the bar muffs back on my Tenere today
because it's too chilly to ride without gloves and I can't get a glove
on my right hand at the moment. Heated grips and muffs should keep my
hands warm enough on short trips and that's all I want to be able to
do.

(1) Only probably because the postman has just delivered some maps and
that's distracted me somewhat. Satnavs are great but proper maps on
the living room floor make planning journeys much more fun.
Champ
2010-10-12 11:00:33 UTC
On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 11:20:23 +0100, Andy Bonwick
Post by Andy Bonwick
Post by wessie
Of course, in reality, for me this doesn't happen in winter because I have
a set of muffs on the bars...
I'm probably (1) going to fit the bar muffs back on my Tenere today
because it's too chilly to ride without gloves and I can't get a glove
on my right hand at the moment. Heated grips and muffs should keep my
hands warm enough on short trips and that's all I want to be able to
do.
heh.

That reminds me of the time I took my bike to Box Hill (from my
student digs in Guildford) with a single muff fitted on the LH bar,
cos my left wrist was in plaster. I could operate the clutch by
moving my whole arm backwards or forwards.
neal at champ dot org dot uk
Andy Bonwick
2010-10-12 11:31:20 UTC
Post by Andy Bonwick
Post by wessie
Of course, in reality, for me this doesn't happen in winter because I have
a set of muffs on the bars...
I'm probably (1) going to fit the bar muffs back on my Tenere today
because it's too chilly to ride without gloves and I can't get a glove
on my right hand at the moment. Heated grips and muffs should keep my
hands warm enough on short trips and that's all I want to be able to
do.
heh.
That reminds me of the time I took my bike to Box Hill (from my
student digs in Guildford) with a single muff fitted on the LH bar,
cos my left wrist was in plaster. I could operate the clutch by
moving my whole arm backwards or forwards.
I've been and thrown them on but I still need to remove the mirrors
then screw them back on so they go through part of the muff and hold
it in place. I'd been waiting for a set of wind deflectors to arrive
before I fitted them and now they're here I'm quite happy because
they're holding the muff open a lot better and that was what I'd been
hoping to achieve.
ogden
2010-10-12 11:41:31 UTC
Post by Andy Bonwick
I'd been waiting for a set of wind deflectors to arrive
before I fitted them and now they're here I'm quite happy because
they're holding the muff open a lot better and that was what I'd been
hoping to achieve.
We're all being uncharacteristically grown up in this thread. It's quite
disappointing.

CT
2010-10-12 11:48:22 UTC
Post by ogden
Post by Andy Bonwick
I'd been waiting for a set of wind deflectors to arrive
before I fitted them and now they're here I'm quite happy because
they're holding the muff open a lot better and that was what I'd
been hoping to achieve.
We're all being uncharacteristically grown up in this thread. It's
quite disappointing.
Andy said "muff"! *snigger*
Chris
Andy Bonwick
Did I mention I can get my whole hand in there and form a fist?
DozynSleepy
2010-10-12 13:09:30 UTC
Post by Andy Bonwick
Post by CT
Post by ogden
Post by Andy Bonwick
I'd been waiting for a set of wind deflectors to arrive
before I fitted them and now they're here I'm quite happy because
they're holding the muff open a lot better and that was what I'd
been hoping to achieve.
We're all being uncharacteristically grown up in this thread. It's
quite disappointing.
Andy said "muff"! *snigger*
Did I mention I can get my whole hand in there and form a fist?
No way can you form a fist in there !

With that hook hand of yours it's got to be a claw.
DozynSleepy
Andy Bonwick
My left hand's ok!
Catman
2010-10-12 13:20:56 UTC
Post by DozynSleepy
Post by Andy Bonwick
Post by CT
Post by ogden
Post by Andy Bonwick
I'd been waiting for a set of wind deflectors to arrive
before I fitted them and now they're here I'm quite happy because
they're holding the muff open a lot better and that was what I'd
been hoping to achieve.
We're all being uncharacteristically grown up in this thread. It's
quite disappointing.
Andy said "muff"! *snigger*
Did I mention I can get my whole hand in there and form a fist?
No way can you form a fist in there !
With that hook hand of yours it's got to be a claw.
Meh. That thread up there, they're talking about Gaucho Muffs!
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
CT
2010-10-12 13:48:48 UTC
Post by Catman
Meh. That thread up there, they're talking about Gaucho Muffs!
Paging TOG!
Chris
Andy Bonwick
2010-10-12 12:17:04 UTC
Post by ogden
Post by Andy Bonwick
I'd been waiting for a set of wind deflectors to arrive
before I fitted them and now they're here I'm quite happy because
they're holding the muff open a lot better and that was what I'd been
hoping to achieve.
We're all being uncharacteristically grown up in this thread. It's quite
disappointing.
I'll suspend being grown up at about 5pm on Friday afternoon.

I'm a bit worried at the moment because since last Saturday I've been
feeling like shit. This might sound like I'm being a bit of a drama
queen but when you consider that it was free bar on Saturday night and
I only had one beer you'll understand that there's something wrong. I
even woofed up the cookies without being pissed and that just doesn't
happen but I'm hoping it was a reaction to the antibiotics I was
taking and they're finished now.
Catman
2010-10-12 12:43:31 UTC
Post by Andy Bonwick
Post by ogden
Post by Andy Bonwick
I'd been waiting for a set of wind deflectors to arrive
before I fitted them and now they're here I'm quite happy because
they're holding the muff open a lot better and that was what I'd been
hoping to achieve.
We're all being uncharacteristically grown up in this thread. It's quite
disappointing.
I'll suspend being grown up at about 5pm on Friday afternoon.
I'm a bit worried at the moment because since last Saturday I've been
feeling like shit. This might sound like I'm being a bit of a drama
queen but when you consider that it was free bar on Saturday night and
I only had one beer you'll understand that there's something wrong. I
even woofed up the cookies without being pissed and that just doesn't
happen but I'm hoping it was a reaction to the antibiotics I was
taking and they're finished now.
How long ago? Ace may have a better idea, but AIUI some AB's take some
time to metabolise. To say nothing of the fact that your gut fauna may
well have been rather wiped out.
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Andy Bonwick
2010-10-12 12:54:03 UTC
On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 13:43:31 +0100, Catman
snip>
Post by Catman
Post by Andy Bonwick
I'll suspend being grown up at about 5pm on Friday afternoon.
I'm a bit worried at the moment because since last Saturday I've been
feeling like shit. This might sound like I'm being a bit of a drama
queen but when you consider that it was free bar on Saturday night and
I only had one beer you'll understand that there's something wrong. I
even woofed up the cookies without being pissed and that just doesn't
happen but I'm hoping it was a reaction to the antibiotics I was
taking and they're finished now.
How long ago? Ace may have a better idea, but AIUI some AB's take some
time to metabolise. To say nothing of the fact that your gut fauna may
well have been rather wiped out.
I started on the antibiotics last Monday, started feeling crap
Saturday morning (1) then went down hill to the point where I threw up
in the early evening then again just before I went to bed. Since then
I've had next to no appetite and haven't even felt like a beer.
Normally this wouldn't be a matter for concern but we're off to the
beach races on Friday and the last thing I want is to be off the beer
when Ogden & Burnt are pouring it down themselves.

The other resident drug expert (Adie) reckons it's probably gastric
flu rather than the drugs and she's not pleased because she's off to
Berlin next week and doesn't want to have caught some evil bug off me.

(1) Funnily enough I'd been down the pub and realised when I got home
I'd forgotten to take a tablet with my meal so took one before going
to bed.
ogden
2010-10-12 13:00:45 UTC
Post by Andy Bonwick
I started on the antibiotics last Monday, started feeling crap
Saturday morning (1) then went down hill to the point where I threw up
in the early evening then again just before I went to bed. Since then
I've had next to no appetite and haven't even felt like a beer.
Normally this wouldn't be a matter for concern but we're off to the
beach races on Friday and the last thing I want is to be off the beer
when Ogden & Burnt are pouring it down themselves.
I've no sympathy - it's pretty much what I'll be like on Sunday when
you're on the beers and I'm the designated driver.

Andy Bonwick
2010-10-12 13:24:52 UTC
Post by ogden
Post by Andy Bonwick
I started on the antibiotics last Monday, started feeling crap
Saturday morning (1) then went down hill to the point where I threw up
in the early evening then again just before I went to bed. Since then
I've had next to no appetite and haven't even felt like a beer.
Normally this wouldn't be a matter for concern but we're off to the
beach races on Friday and the last thing I want is to be off the beer
when Ogden & Burnt are pouring it down themselves.
I've no sympathy - it's pretty much what I'll be like on Sunday when
you're on the beers and I'm the designated driver.
I didn't expect sympathy.

I'm currently cooking some decent sausages sourced from the local
butchers and I'm hoping that if I throw a liberal amount of HP sauce
on them and wash them down with a bottle of ESB I'll feel a lot
better.
Catman
2010-10-12 13:16:32 UTC
Post by Catman
Post by Andy Bonwick
[...]
Well, you can't argue with her :) It sounds like she might be right.
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Pete Fisher
2010-10-12 13:30:21 UTC
Post by Catman
Post by Andy Bonwick
[...]
Don't some antibiotics sit very uncomfortably with alcohol anyway?
There are some really nasty persistent viruses about at the moment, but
with a bit of luck you may just picked up a '48 hour' one.
Catman
2010-10-12 13:45:03 UTC
Post by Catman
Post by Andy Bonwick
[...]
Consuming ethanol (alcohol) while using metronidazole has long been
thought to have a disulfiram-like reaction with effects that can include
nausea, vomiting, flushing of the skin, tachycardia (accelerated heart
rate), and shortness of breath,[15] however there are studies calling
that notion into question.[16] Consumption of alcohol should be avoided
by patients during systemic metronidazole therapy and for at least 48
hours after completion of treatment.[5] However, the mechanism of this
reaction in the clinical setting has recently been questioned by some
authors,[17][18] and a possible central toxic serotonin reaction for the
alcohol intolerance suggested.[19]

For example. OTTOMH though I doubt metronidazole was the one in this case.
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
CT
2010-10-12 13:50:48 UTC
Post by Catman
Consuming ethanol (alcohol) while using metronidazole has long been
thought to have a disulfiram-like reaction with effects that can
include nausea, vomiting, flushing of the skin, tachycardia
(accelerated heart rate), and shortness of breath,[15] however there
are studies calling that notion into question.[16] Consumption of
alcohol should be avoided by patients during systemic metronidazole
therapy and for at least 48 hours after completion of treatment.[5]
However, the mechanism of this reaction in the clinical setting has
recently been questioned by some authors,[17][18] and a possible
central toxic serotonin reaction for the alcohol intolerance
suggested.[19]
I was thinking "Cor, that Catman knows his stuff" until I spotted the
footnote markers that you'd left in from your cut-and-paste :o)
Chris
Catman
2010-10-12 14:10:35 UTC
Post by CT
Post by Catman
Consuming ethanol (alcohol) while using metronidazole has long been
thought to have a disulfiram-like reaction with effects that can
include nausea, vomiting, flushing of the skin, tachycardia
(accelerated heart rate), and shortness of breath,[15] however there
are studies calling that notion into question.[16] Consumption of
alcohol should be avoided by patients during systemic metronidazole
therapy and for at least 48 hours after completion of treatment.[5]
However, the mechanism of this reaction in the clinical setting has
recently been questioned by some authors,[17][18] and a possible
central toxic serotonin reaction for the alcohol intolerance
suggested.[19]
I was thinking "Cor, that Catman knows his stuff"
You poor, deluded *FOOL*!
Post by CT
until I spotted the
footnote markers that you'd left in from your cut-and-paste :o)
Well durr.
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Ace
2010-10-12 13:06:19 UTC
Post by Catman
Post by Andy Bonwick
I'm a bit worried at the moment because since last Saturday I've been
feeling like shit. This might sound like I'm being a bit of a drama
queen but when you consider that it was free bar on Saturday night and
I only had one beer you'll understand that there's something wrong. I
even woofed up the cookies without being pissed and that just doesn't
happen but I'm hoping it was a reaction to the antibiotics I was
taking and they're finished now.
How long ago? Ace may have a better idea,
No fucking idea mate.
Post by Catman
but AIUI some AB's take some
time to metabolise. To say nothing of the fact that your gut fauna may
well have been rather wiped out.
The whole body will have been traumatised by the surgery (which was
the previous week, IIRC?) and the ABs and other drugs (was it a
general or a local?) will have been upsetting it's balance still
further. Sadly it's one of those age-related things too - the
half-century body can take a fucking age to recover from things that a
20-y-o would brush away in no time.
CT
2010-10-12 13:15:24 UTC
Post by Ace
The whole body will have been traumatised by the surgery (which was
the previous week, IIRC?) and the ABs and other drugs (was it a
general or a local?) will have been upsetting it's balance still
further. Sadly it's one of those age-related things too - the
half-century body can take a fucking age to recover from things that a
20-y-o would brush away in no time.
There you go Andy - you just need to find a 20-year-old...
Chris
Catman
2010-10-12 13:20:33 UTC
Post by Catman
Post by Andy Bonwick
I'm a bit worried at the moment because since last Saturday I've been
feeling like shit. This might sound like I'm being a bit of a drama
queen but when you consider that it was free bar on Saturday night and
I only had one beer you'll understand that there's something wrong. I
even woofed up the cookies without being pissed and that just doesn't
happen but I'm hoping it was a reaction to the antibiotics I was
taking and they're finished now.
How long ago? Ace may have a better idea,
No fucking idea mate.
Pah. Bloody pharmacologicists[1]
Post by Andy Bonwick
Post by Catman
but AIUI some AB's take some
time to metabolise. To say nothing of the fact that your gut fauna may
well have been rather wiped out.
The whole body will have been traumatised by the surgery (which was
the previous week, IIRC?) and the ABs and other drugs (was it a
general or a local?) will have been upsetting it's balance still
further. Sadly it's one of those age-related things too - the
half-century body can take a fucking age to recover from things that a
20-y-o would brush away in no time.
I'd forgotten / not noticed the surgery as well. Even if there was no
direct effect, I'd imagine that he would be classically 'run down' if
there really is such a thing.

As for the age, bloody hello it gets driven home to you some times
dunnit. Picked up some bruising on my shins from an over-enthusiastic 17
year old[2] a several months back. 6 weeks to heal ffs. I remember back
in the day...[3]

[1]Or whatever. I know you undoubtedly have a field of specialism, but
you clearly know far more about this shit than most others.
[2]Calm down. Junior student at Kung-Fu class getting excited with his
drills.
[3]Insert MP / Only Fools quotes here as desired.
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
CT
2010-10-12 13:46:51 UTC
Post by Catman
As for the age, bloody hello it gets driven home to you some times
dunnit. Picked up some bruising on my shins from an over-enthusiastic
17 year old[2] a several months back. 6 weeks to heal ffs. I
remember back in the day...[3]
Abso-bloody-lutely!

Almost two months ago I went over on my ankle[1] and it's still not
right.

[1] An IDI - Identifiable Drinking Injury, as opposed to the usual UDI,
Unidentified Drinking Injury.
Chris
Jim
Drunken Flying CT
ogden
2010-10-12 14:15:56 UTC
Post by CT
Post by Catman
As for the age, bloody hello it gets driven home to you some times
dunnit. Picked up some bruising on my shins from an over-enthusiastic
17 year old[2] a several months back. 6 weeks to heal ffs. I
remember back in the day...[3]
Abso-bloody-lutely!
Almost two months ago I went over on my ankle[1] and it's still not
right.
My knee's still not right after lobbing it on that off-road day over a
month ago. At least you're old. What's my excuse?

Andy Bonwick
Anything you can grab at?
wessie
congenital fuck-up
Ace
Some areas, perhaps, but I'm just a programmer at heart.
Andy Bonwick
2010-10-12 13:35:24 UTC
On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 15:06:19 +0200, Ace <***@ifrance.com>
wrote:

snip>
Post by Ace
The whole body will have been traumatised by the surgery (which was
the previous week, IIRC?) and the ABs and other drugs (was it a
general or a local?) will have been upsetting it's balance still
further. Sadly it's one of those age-related things too - the
half-century body can take a fucking age to recover from things that a
20-y-o would brush away in no time.
I think the last part is probably one of the biggest contributors. I
find it hard to waste days taking it easy when I've got things I need
to be getting on with but unfortunately my body doesn't always agree
that it's a good idea.

One day I'll come to terms with the limitations that age puts upon the
human body but not yet.
Jeremy
2010-10-13 13:00:47 UTC
Post by Andy Bonwick
I'd use a small tankbag rather than a bumbag and shove spare gloves in
there where they're easy to get at.
Plastic tank....

Have hard cases for luggage, thought i'd want to leave those at the
hotel when riding the ring - bumbag idea was just for valuables really.
--
jeremy
K1200S
Andy Bonwick
2010-10-13 13:30:00 UTC
Post by Jeremy
Post by Andy Bonwick
I'd use a small tankbag rather than a bumbag and shove spare gloves in
there where they're easy to get at.
Plastic tank....
Have hard cases for luggage, thought i'd want to leave those at the
hotel when riding the ring - bumbag idea was just for valuables really.
Maybe a small tailpack then? Try a Kriega US10 or US20, you can strap
it round the pillion pad on your bike and just leave it there. 100%
waterproof and even when fixed to the pillion pad it's still easy to
get into to get kit out.

I've used one of the US20 bags strapped onto the top of a hard pannier
to keep some clothes separate when going on an overnight ferry and
even after being subjected to rain and *very* heavy snow everything
was still dry when I got onboard. The packs are modular and you can
use different sizes together but they're not cheap.
Jeremy
2010-10-13 13:32:57 UTC
Post by Andy Bonwick
Maybe a small tailpack then? Try a Kriega US10 or US20, you can strap
it round the pillion pad on your bike and just leave it there. 100%
waterproof and even when fixed to the pillion pad it's still easy to
get into to get kit out.
I've used one of the US20 bags strapped onto the top of a hard pannier
to keep some clothes separate when going on an overnight ferry and
even after being subjected to rain and *very* heavy snow everything
was still dry when I got onboard. The packs are modular and you can
use different sizes together but they're not cheap.
Thanks, added to my "to consider" list.
--
jeremy
K1200S
wessie
2010-10-12 09:41:34 UTC
Post by Jeremy
** (posted first to ukrmc by accident)
End of this month I am riding to Germany with a group and we will be
riding the Nurburgring (exclusive use!)
I have only ever worn my leathers in the dry/mild-warm weather.
- Decent, waterproof gloves (I have been thoroughly soaked before on
continental trips and don't fancy soggy gloves ever again!)
- Waterproof oversuit (or separates)
- Fleece of some kind
- Thermal undersuit
- Bumbag for valuables and documents
Really would appreciate comments and any specific product
recommendations.
Best waterproof gloves I have used are Alpinestars Drystars. Mine are SP1
but I think they are on SP3 now. J&S still have some of the SP1s on their
website, if you don't mind red gloves.

Buy a 2 piece oversuit. I'm still using my original Belstaff Dribika jacket
from 1995, but I'm on about the 4th pair of overtrousers (the crotch seam
always goes first) as I use them with a HG Goretex jacket in winter.

Thermals: get man-made or merino wool. Avoid cotton. EDZ from their own
shop http://www.edz.biz/bike/Product_pages/AllSeasonbaselayer work well. I
use them in summer too, helps wick sweat away and reduce heat rash.
Jeremy
2010-10-13 13:07:49 UTC
Post by wessie
Buy a 2 piece oversuit.
Any recommendations?
--
jeremy
K1200S
wessie
2010-10-13 19:00:39 UTC
Post by Jeremy
Post by wessie
Buy a 2 piece oversuit.
Any recommendations?
Not really. As I said, my Belstaff jacket is 15 years old or so, but you
can't buy that as they've gone down the fashion end of the market.

Held was supposed to be good, winning a RiDE recommendation, but both Adie
& I had problems with Held over-trousers. Adie's leaked & the ankle zip
fucked up on mine.

Currently, I'm using Buffalo over-trousers from ghostbikes.com. Worked well
in an Ardennes downpour but no idea about longevity yet. Nice chunky zip,
which should be better than the thin job on the Held.

You can get a 2 piece Buffalo suit for under £40 from ghostbikes.com or
Hein Gericke do their own for about £50 if you haggle in the shop.
--
wessie at tesco dot net

BMW R1150GS
Jeremy
2010-10-14 08:24:43 UTC
Post by wessie
Post by Jeremy
Post by wessie
Buy a 2 piece oversuit.
Any recommendations?
Not really. As I said, my Belstaff jacket is 15 years old or so, but you
can't buy that as they've gone down the fashion end of the market.
Held was supposed to be good, winning a RiDE recommendation, but both Adie
& I had problems with Held over-trousers. Adie's leaked & the ankle zip
fucked up on mine.
Currently, I'm using Buffalo over-trousers from ghostbikes.com. Worked well
in an Ardennes downpour but no idea about longevity yet. Nice chunky zip,
which should be better than the thin job on the Held.
You can get a 2 piece Buffalo suit for under £40 from ghostbikes.com or
Hein Gericke do their own for about £50 if you haggle in the shop.
Thanks very much, it was the over-trousers brand that I was after.
--
jeremy
K1200S
Pete Fisher
2010-10-12 10:06:43 UTC
Post by Jeremy
** (posted first to ukrmc by accident)
End of this month I am riding to Germany with a group and we will be
riding the Nurburgring (exclusive use!)
I have only ever worn my leathers in the dry/mild-warm weather.
- Decent, waterproof gloves (I have been thoroughly soaked before on
continental trips and don't fancy soggy gloves ever again!)
- Waterproof oversuit (or separates)
- Fleece of some kind
- Thermal undersuit
- Bumbag for valuables and documents
Really would appreciate comments and any specific product
recommendations.
See my comment endorsing darsy and wessie recommendation of Alpinestar
Drystar gloves.

My over-trousers are Dainese Gortex - brilliant, but longevity isn't an
issue given the amount of riding I do.

The very thin micro-fleeces are good I have a Campri one which SWMBO the
ex-mountaineer and still high level walker gave me.

I've also still got an ancient set of Damart polojamas for if I was
going to do serious winter riding again. Lately, they only get used as a
base layer when going out in winter to stand by frozen wins swept rally
stages. Rather ragged in the nether regions these days but that aids
ventilation.
| Pete Fisher at Home: ***@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk |
| Visit my *NEW* Home Page : http://www.flarefox.com/Joomla |
| "Do not adjust your mind - there is a fault in the reality" |
Champ
2010-10-12 10:11:38 UTC
Post by Jeremy
End of this month I am riding to Germany with a group and we will be
riding the Nurburgring (exclusive use!)
I have only ever worn my leathers in the dry/mild-warm weather.
Really would appreciate comments and any specific product
recommendations.
As I'm heading off this evening for a 10 day French road trip, which
is fairly late in the year for me, I'll tell you what I'll be doing:

- long sleeved thermal-type base layer under leather jacket
- light wind proof jacket over leather jacket. [1]
- leather trews, without long johns - I just never get cold legs
- Seal skinz socks (cos my boots leak like a seive)
- thin one-piece oversuit folded up in tank bag
- pair of 'regular' gloves
- pair of spare warm and waterproof gloves if the weather is bad

I can barely contemplate any sort of distance without a tankbag
nowadays, and so all my bikes get a Baglux cover as soon as they
arrive.

I haven't yet joined the textile revolution for bike kit - I still
wear leathers pretty much all the time, and if the weather isn't good
enough for leathers plus a light waterproof oversuit, then I don't
really want to use the bike.

[1] I use a 'Cold Killer Wind Buddy [2] like this:
http://www.coldkillers.co.uk/product.html?product=windbuddy
[2] yes, yes, stop sniggering at the back.
neal at champ dot org dot uk
Mike Buckley
2010-10-12 18:38:53 UTC
Post by Champ
Post by Jeremy
[...]
I have baglux, but prefer the top box, out of sight....
Post by Champ
I haven't yet joined the textile revolution for bike kit - I still
wear leathers pretty much all the time, and if the weather isn't good
enough for leathers plus a light waterproof oversuit, then I don't
really want to use the bike.
I only recently discovered the joys of Goretex, my HG Goretex trousers
are a revelation. I was snug and warm this morning all the way from
Nottingham to Stockport at 6:30 this morning, it only went tits up when
I got near the outskirts and the clear skies and frost meant the
temperature dropped and my summer gloves couldn't cope.

So, looking for a decent pair of warm gloves and/or heated grips.
--
Mike Buckley
RD350LC2
XJ900S
Andy Bonwick
2010-10-12 19:05:09 UTC
On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 19:38:53 +0100, Mike Buckley <***@hotmail.com>
wrote:

snip>
Post by Mike Buckley
So, looking for a decent pair of warm gloves and/or heated grips.
This is where we recommend our own kit isn't it?

Go for exo2 kit. I've got the gloves and a heated vest and they
combine to keep you nice and warm even when it gets well below
freezing point. The gloves are proper waterproof bike gloves with
armour etc rather than being inner gloves and the vest is washable
which is more than most of the competitors can claim.

The only complaint I can make about them is that the connectors used
to have a bad habit of chaffing through the wires suddenly leaving you
feeling a bit cold but apparently the newer ones don't suffer from
this.

The cheaper solution is heated grips and bar muffs but if you're going
to commute regularly through the winter it's worth paying the extra.
DozynSleepy
2010-10-13 09:28:26 UTC
Post by Andy Bonwick
snip>
Post by Mike Buckley
So, looking for a decent pair of warm gloves and/or heated grips.
This is where we recommend our own kit isn't it?
Go for exo2 kit. I've got the gloves and a heated vest and they
combine to keep you nice and warm even when it gets well below
freezing point. The gloves are proper waterproof bike gloves with
armour etc rather than being inner gloves and the vest is washable
which is more than most of the competitors can claim.
The only complaint I can make about them is that the connectors used
to have a bad habit of chaffing through the wires suddenly leaving you
feeling a bit cold but apparently the newer ones don't suffer from
this.
The cheaper solution is heated grips and bar muffs but if you're going
to commute regularly through the winter it's worth paying the extra.
I'd certainly recommend the EXO2 StormRider Heated Body Warmer.
http://www.exo2.co.uk/exo2.html#stormrider
Worked fantastically well on the Elefantentreffen trip. Always carry it
in the panniers now. There's been a couple of times I've gone for a run
in blazing sunshine and spent a lot longer out to find I'm coming home
in the dark with crystal clear skies and the temperature plummeting.
Stick the body warmer on, plug in and everything is just fine.

Can't quite recommend the EXO2 StormShield Heated Motorcycle Gloves. If
it's dry then no problem but with the snow flurries we had on the
Elefantentreffen trip I had to make sure the glove cuffs where inside
the storm cuffs of my jacket to stop the snow melting and giving me a
nice warm hand bath. The cuffs are quite stiff so it ended up being
quite fiddly to get the power lead inside the storm cuff too. I decided
that I'd get heated grips and Gaucho muffs next time.
DozynSleepy
Kellerman <"kellerman
2010-10-12 10:17:39 UTC
Post by Jeremy
** (posted first to ukrmc by accident)
End of this month I am riding to Germany with a group and we will be
riding the Nurburgring (exclusive use!)
I have only ever worn my leathers in the dry/mild-warm weather.
- Decent, waterproof gloves (I have been thoroughly soaked before on
continental trips and don't fancy soggy gloves ever again!)
- Waterproof oversuit (or separates)
- Fleece of some kind
- Thermal undersuit
- Bumbag for valuables and documents
Really would appreciate comments and any specific product
recommendations.
HG + Goretex for both two piece fabric suit and gloves. Boots and gloves
with a goretex liner are also very nice.
The goretex does the waterproof bit.
Use several layers of t-shirts under the jacket + a fleece so you can
adjust the warmth level if required. Spare gloves are a real boon but
not vital. However if you're planning a bit of fun around the ring you
might want to take a thinner pair for the speedy bit.
However not cheap. Can you borrow gear if this is a one off trip?
Put documents (passport. ins cert etc) in a plastic bag and zip them up
in an inside pocket. Phone in a plastic bag as well. DAMHIKOK
Blow my nose to email me
wessie
2010-10-14 23:29:00 UTC
Jeremy <***@gmail.com> wrote in news:MPG.271e32be8fe75f1b9898a3
@News.Individual.NET:

this might help if you have a Honda dealer nearby
http://ww1.honda.co.uk/20poundvoucher/download/20poundvoucher.pdf

£20 off a £50 spend

<separate thread started lower down>
--
wessie at tesco dot net

BMW R1150GS
sweller
2010-10-16 17:41:28 UTC
Post by Jeremy
Really would appreciate comments and any specific product
recommendations.
These are brilliant and cheap - Elefant tried and tested - just don't get
too prissy about them being, er, previously issued:
http://www.the-outdoor.co.uk/ishop/853/shopscr549.html
--
Simon