OT: UKRM Film Club - Hotel Rwanda
davethedave
2009-10-26 22:14:06 UTC
Watching it on TNT right now between breaks for bad satellite reception
weather.

Cheery movie or what?

Does it make the holocaust look minor on terms of bodycount?
davethedave
Krusty
2009-10-26 22:18:54 UTC
Post by davethedave
Watching it on TNT right now between breaks for bad satellite
reception weather.
Cheery movie or what?
Isn't it just. Bloody good film.
Post by davethedave
Does it make the holocaust look minor on terms of bodycount?
They're black & they haven't got any oil so who cares?
--
Krusty

'03 Tiger 955i '02 MV Senna '96 Tiger (for sale)
'79 Fantic Hiro 250 (for sale) '81 Corvette (for sale)
davethedave
2009-10-26 22:27:15 UTC
Post by davethedave
Does it make the holocaust look minor on terms of bodycount?
They're black & they haven't got any oil so who cares?
Realistically you're right it's a great movie but no one will be willing
to admit to more dead than the holocaust for that very reason.

EEEooaaaghh!!!!!

They just drove over a shit load of corpses.
davethedave
Steve Parry
2009-10-26 22:45:13 UTC
Post by davethedave
Post by davethedave
Does it make the holocaust look minor on terms of bodycount?
They're black & they haven't got any oil so who cares?
Realistically you're right it's a great movie but no one will be willing
to admit to more dead than the holocaust for that very reason.
EEEooaaaghh!!!!!
They just drove over a shit load of corpses.
well they didn't "just" they did that about 15 years ago ;)
--
Steve Parry
87 BMW R80RS, 03 BMW R1100S Boxercup, 07 BMW K1200GT SE
www.gwynfryn.co.uk
Veggie Dave
2009-10-27 12:27:14 UTC
Post by davethedave
Realistically you're right it's a great movie but no one will be willing
to admit to more dead than the holocaust for that very reason.
Er, I'm assuming you're taking the piss? They were shy of the WWII
target by about 5 million - and that's just for the Jews and not all of
the other 'undesirables'.
--
Veggie Dave
http://www.iq18films.co.uk

"To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim
that Jesus was not born of a virgin." Cardinal Bellarmine
Champ
2009-10-26 23:05:45 UTC
On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 00:14:06 +0200, davethedave
Post by davethedave
Watching it on TNT right now between breaks for bad satellite reception
weather.
Cheery movie or what?
It is very good, isn't it.
Post by davethedave
Does it make the holocaust look minor on terms of bodycount?
Not really. About 1 million, compared with 6 million for the
holocaust. From wikipedia:

"There is no consensus on the number of dead between April 6 and
mid-July. Unlike the genocides carried out by the Nazi Germany and by
the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia, authorities made no attempts to record
deaths. The RPF government has stated that 1,071,000 were killed, 10%
of whom were Hutu. Philip Gourevitch agrees with an estimate of one
million, while the United Nations lists the toll as 800,000. Alex de
Waal and Rakiya Omar of African Rights estimates the number as "around
750,000," while Alison Des Forges of Human Rights Watch states that it
was "at least 500,000." James Smith of Aegis Trust notes, "What's
important to remember is that there was a genocide. There was an
attempt to eliminate Tutsis — men, women, and children — and to erase
any memory of their existence."[26]

Out of a population of 7.3 million people - 84% of whom where Hutu,
15% Tutsi and 1% Twa - the official figures published by the Rwandan
government estimated the number of victims of the genocide to
1,174,000 in 100 days (10,000 murdered every day, 400 every hour, 7
every minute). Other sources put the death toll to 800,000, 20% of
whom were Hutus.[citation needed] It is estimated that about 300,000
Tutsis survived the genocide. Thousands of widows, many of whom were
subjected to rape, are now HIV-positive. There are about 400,000
orphans and nearly 85,000 of them have become heads of families."
--
Champ
We declare that the splendor of the world has been enriched by a new beauty: the beauty of speed.
neal at champ dot org dot uk
Salad Dodger
2009-10-26 23:19:22 UTC
Post by davethedave
Does it make the holocaust look minor on terms of bodycount?
Not really. About 1 million, compared with 6 million for the
One thing I only found out when researching 1959 for madam's
forthcoming 50th:

In November 1959, Tutsi forces beat up a Hutu politician, Dominique
Mbonyumutwa, and rumors of his death set off a violent backlash
against the Tutsi known as "the wind of destruction." Thousands of
Tutsis were killed and many thousands more, including the Mwami, fled
to neighboring Uganda before Belgian commandos arrived to quell the
violence. Several Belgians were subsequently accused by Tutsi leaders
of abetting the Hutus in the violence.

I thought this was a recent thing.
ogden
2009-10-27 09:08:33 UTC
Post by davethedave
Does it make the holocaust look minor on terms of bodycount?
Not really. About 1 million, compared with 6 million for the
One thing I only found out when researching 1959 for madam's
In November 1959, Tutsi forces beat up a Hutu politician, Dominique
Mbonyumutwa, and rumors of his death set off a violent backlash
against the Tutsi known as "the wind of destruction." Thousands of
Tutsis were killed and many thousands more, including the Mwami, fled
to neighboring Uganda before Belgian commandos arrived to quell the
violence. Several Belgians were subsequently accused by Tutsi leaders
of abetting the Hutus in the violence.
I thought this was a recent thing.
It's a tribal thing. It goes way back.
ogden
Switters
2009-10-27 09:08:48 UTC
Post by davethedave
Watching it on TNT right now between breaks for bad satellite reception
weather.
Cheery movie or what?
Quite. Great film though.

On a similar vein, I watched The Last King Of Scotland the other night.
Stellar performance from Whitaker.
Champ
2009-10-27 09:24:57 UTC
Post by Switters
On a similar vein, I watched The Last King Of Scotland the other night.
Stellar performance from Whitaker.
I've got that on the HTPC, ready to watch.
neal at champ dot org dot uk
Switters
2009-10-27 13:43:10 UTC
Post by Champ
Post by Switters
On a similar vein, I watched The Last King Of Scotland the other night.
Stellar performance from Whitaker.
I've got that on the HTPC, ready to watch.
Not sure how historically accurate it is, and I had no sympathy for the
Scottish doctor. Although obviously this won't make much sense to you
until you see it.
Champ
2009-10-27 14:19:48 UTC
Post by Switters
Post by Champ
Post by Switters
On a similar vein, I watched The Last King Of Scotland the other night.
Stellar performance from Whitaker.
I've got that on the HTPC, ready to watch.
Not sure how historically accurate it is, and I had no sympathy for the
Scottish doctor. Although obviously this won't make much sense to you
until you see it.
Oh, I'm familiar with the story. The James McEvoy character is meant
to be fairly weak, and seduced by the access to power - it is a
mephistopheles style story in that sense.
neal at champ dot org dot uk
zymurgy
2009-10-27 20:52:47 UTC
Post by Champ
Post by Switters
On a similar vein, I watched The Last King Of Scotland the other night.
Stellar performance from Whitaker.
I've got that on the HTPC, ready to watch.
I'm widdershins as usual. I've watched LKoS, which I thoroughly
enjoyed (for FW's performance) and I have Hotel Rwanda waiting in the
wings ...

Paul.
Champ