Multimap RIP
'Hog
2009-11-24 21:43:16 UTC
Aaaaargh multimap.co.uk is dead. Reaped by the Corporate Beast.

It's suddenly utter shit.
--
'Hog
'06 ST4-S
'81 R65 Outfit
ginge
2009-11-24 21:51:41 UTC
Google maps is better anyway, thanks to streetview
vulgarandmischevious
2009-11-24 23:31:11 UTC
Post by 'Hog
Aaaaargh multimap.co.uk is dead. Reaped by the Corporate Beast.
It's suddenly utter shit.
Google maps is better anyway, thanks to streetview
Is there a company, who do something that google do, who do it better
than google do?

I can't think of any, off-hand.
Wicked Uncle Nigel
2009-11-24 23:34:07 UTC
Using the patented Mavis Beacon "Hunt&Peck" Technique,
Post by vulgarandmischevious
Is there a company, who do something that google do, who do it better
than google do?
Do-dooo-de-doo... BOOH!

Take it to the bridge...
--
Wicked Uncle Nigel - "He's hopeless, but he's honest"

can you see the light of need shinin' in my eye?
ginge
2009-11-24 23:38:23 UTC
Post by 'Hog
Aaaaargh multimap.co.uk is dead. Reaped by the Corporate Beast.
It's suddenly utter shit.
Google maps is better anyway, thanks to streetview
Is there a company, who do something that google do, who do it better
than google do?
I can't think of any, off-hand.
I think..

Mozilla make a better browser, but they've been at it longer.

Yahoo have a better photo site with Flickr than Google do with
Picassa.

And finally MS Messenger is better than google talk.

not exactly a long list.
s***@freenet.co.uk
2009-11-24 23:57:17 UTC
Post by ginge
I think..
Mozilla make a better browser, but they've been at it longer.
Yahoo have a better photo site with Flickr than Google do with
Picassa.
But then, they bought flickr, google had to build picasa from the ground up.
--
| ***@freenet.co.uk | Windows95 (noun): 32 bit extensions and a |
Dave Emerson
2009-11-25 00:12:32 UTC
Post by s***@freenet.co.uk
Post by ginge
I think..
Mozilla make a better browser, but they've been at it longer.
Yahoo have a better photo site with Flickr than Google do with
Picassa.
But then, they bought flickr, google had to build picasa from the ground up.
No, Google bought Picasa from Idealab in '04.
--
Dave
ex Motorcycle Maintenance Workshop
http://tinyurl.com/4mhaw
vulgarandmischevious
2009-11-25 01:09:40 UTC
Post by ginge
On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 16:31:11 -0700, vulgarandmischevious
Post by vulgarandmischevious
Is there a company, who do something that google do, who do it better
than google do?
I can't think of any, off-hand.
I think..
Mozilla make a better browser, but they've been at it longer.
I tried mozilla years ago and didn't care for it. I like chrome a
lot, though I haven't compared it with a recent mozilla (why would I?)

I'm sure a lot of it is about which you've been using most
recently/longest, or whatever.
Post by ginge
Yahoo have a better photo site with Flickr than Google do with
Picassa.
I don't really care for flickr. And I've never knowingly used
picassa. I don't really upload photos. The me.com photo sites work
well for me, as a viewer.
Post by ginge
And finally MS Messenger is better than google talk.
my IM usage has dropped radically, since I'm not on the same timezone
as most of my contacts.
Post by ginge
not exactly a long list.
exactly.
Switters
2009-11-25 13:28:04 UTC
Post by ginge
And finally MS Messenger is better than google talk.
I can't think of a single worse waste of time on a computer than Instant
Messaging. Sure the message is instant, but then you sit there for
several minutes whilst the mong on the other end stabs at the keyboard
with their head prong.

Not to mention that the window pops up when you're typing elsewhere and it
steals the focus.

If you want a conversation, use the phone, or VOIP.

If you don't need an instant response, just use email.

# Instant Messaging - more pointless than Facebook.
Champ
2009-11-25 13:31:17 UTC
Post by Switters
Post by ginge
And finally MS Messenger is better than google talk.
I can't think of a single worse waste of time on a computer than Instant
Messaging. Sure the message is instant, but then you sit there for
several minutes whilst the mong on the other end stabs at the keyboard
with their head prong.
I hear you, brother.

We use IM a lot at work, cos a lot of our Devs work at home ~2 days
per week, also we're split across 2 sites now.

IM is useful for a really quick question & answer conversation, but as
soon as it goes beyond that, I find it as infuriating as you.

So much so, that we're going to deploy OCS[1] and give everyone USB
headsets for full VOIP capability.
Post by Switters
# Instant Messaging - more pointless than Facebook.
heh

[1] Office Communications Server - Release 2
--
Champ
We declare that the splendor of the world has been enriched by a new beauty: the beauty of speed.
neal at champ dot org dot uk
Champ
2009-11-25 14:48:18 UTC
Post by Champ
So much so, that we're going to deploy OCS[1] and give everyone USB
headsets for full VOIP capability.
I'm in the other camp. I hate voice phones, not using them, but the
noise pollution of others using them. Some people seem to get louder
when they're on the phone, especially if they're speaking to someone
on a mobile.
I think it's acknowledged that almost everyone raises their voice when
on the phone.

Hopefully, the use of headsets will minimise this a bit.
neal at champ dot org dot uk
Ben
2009-11-25 15:03:28 UTC
Post by Champ
Post by Champ
So much so, that we're going to deploy OCS[1] and give everyone USB
headsets for full VOIP capability.
I'm in the other camp. I hate voice phones, not using them, but the
noise pollution of others using them. Some people seem to get louder
when they're on the phone, especially if they're speaking to someone
on a mobile.
I think it's acknowledged that almost everyone raises their voice when
on the phone.
Hopefully, the use of headsets will minimise this a bit.
I think it'll make it worse, because they won't be able to hear they
own voice as others are.
--
GSX-R1000 K8
Bandit 1250GT L0
GSX-R600 W
Simian
2009-11-25 22:04:33 UTC
Post by Ben
Post by Champ
I think it's acknowledged that almost everyone raises their voice
when on the phone.
Hopefully, the use of headsets will minimise this a bit.
I think it'll make it worse, because they won't be able to hear they
own voice as others are.
The headset plays back your own voice to you as well, and in my
experience, it's louder that your own voice sounds naturally.
CT
2009-11-25 15:01:49 UTC
Post by Champ
I think it's acknowledged that almost everyone raises their voice when
on the phone.
Hopefully, the use of headsets will minimise this a bit.
But why would it?
Chris
Jim
2009-11-25 15:06:43 UTC
Post by CT
Post by Champ
I think it's acknowledged that almost everyone raises their voice when
on the phone.
Hopefully, the use of headsets will minimise this a bit.
But why would it?
The theory would be that you modulate your voice based on how well you
can hear the other party. Therefore if the headset excludes other noises
better then you will talk more quietly.
Mark Olson
2009-11-25 20:46:05 UTC
Post by Jim
Post by CT
Post by Champ
I think it's acknowledged that almost everyone raises their voice when
on the phone.
Hopefully, the use of headsets will minimise this a bit.
But why would it?
The theory would be that you modulate your voice based on how well you
can hear the other party. Therefore if the headset excludes other noises
better then you will talk more quietly.
Many mobile and cordless phones are lacking in the sidetone dept.
which explains *some* of this phenomenon.

Mainly though, it's down to people being stupid and inconsiderate.
Switters
2009-11-25 14:21:17 UTC
Post by Champ
We use IM a lot at work, cos a lot of our Devs work at home ~2 days
per week, also we're split across 2 sites now.
Unfortunately we've recently installed IM at work. Some chump only 2
desks away from me sent me an IM asking a question, which did the said
interrupt my typing. Chuffed I wasn't.

I don't even log into it any more. Now people think I'm not in because my
status doesn't show up. Idiots.
Ben
GSX-R600 W
Simian
2009-11-25 22:05:44 UTC
Post by Switters
Post by ginge
And finally MS Messenger is better than google talk.
I can't think of a single worse waste of time on a computer than
Instant Messaging. Sure the message is instant, but then you sit
there for several minutes whilst the mong on the other end stabs at
the keyboard with their head prong.
Erm, I usually carry on with whatever else I'm doing while I wait.
Skype doesn't - it just flashes in the task bar.
Switters
2009-11-26 17:24:40 UTC
Post by Simian
Post by Switters
Post by ginge
And finally MS Messenger is better than google talk.
I can't think of a single worse waste of time on a computer than
Instant Messaging. Sure the message is instant, but then you sit
there for several minutes whilst the mong on the other end stabs at
the keyboard with their head prong.
Erm, I usually carry on with whatever else I'm doing while I wait.
Go you! It's a little difficult for me because of the aforementioned
focus grab.
Post by Simian
Post by Switters
Not to mention that the window pops up when you're typing elsewhere
and it steals the focus.
Skype doesn't - it just flashes in the task bar.
Skype has IM?!?! Wow, I've been missing out on so much. This goes back
to what I said. I'll use Skype if I want an interactive experience, else
I'll just send an email.
vulgarandmischevious
2009-11-26 17:32:00 UTC
Post by Switters
Post by Simian
Post by Switters
Post by ginge
And finally MS Messenger is better than google talk.
I can't think of a single worse waste of time on a computer than
Instant Messaging. Sure the message is instant, but then you sit
there for several minutes whilst the mong on the other end stabs at
the keyboard with their head prong.
Erm, I usually carry on with whatever else I'm doing while I wait.
Go you! It's a little difficult for me because of the aforementioned
focus grab.
No IM that I've ever used has done that. It just flashes in the
thingy bar at the bottom.
Switters
2009-11-27 10:12:32 UTC
Post by vulgarandmischevious
No IM that I've ever used has done that. It just flashes in the
thingy bar at the bottom.
I guess it's down to the settings. I never put up with it long enough to
find out. If I'm going to wait for a response though, I might as well use
email.
Champ
2009-11-27 10:19:23 UTC
On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 10:12:32 +0000 (UTC), Switters <***@privacy.net>
wrote:

<on the failings of IM>
Post by Switters
I guess it's down to the settings. I never put up with it long enough to
find out. If I'm going to wait for a response though, I might as well use
email.
I'm not a great fan of IM either, tho I think it does have its uses.

I think Google Wave is a very useful combination of IM and email, and
I have quite high hopes for it.
neal at champ dot org dot uk
Simian
2009-11-25 22:04:32 UTC
Post by 'Hog
Aaaaargh multimap.co.uk is dead. Reaped by the Corporate Beast.
It's suddenly utter shit.
Google maps is better anyway, thanks to streetview
Is there a company, who do something that google do, who do it
better than google do?
I can't think of any, off-hand.
I think..
Mozilla make a better browser, but they've been at it longer.
I much prefer chrome to firefox. Although it definitely isn't finished
yet, it's much more intuitive and starts up faster.

The only real problem with chrome is that it creates loads of process
that begin with 'c'.
Switters
2009-11-25 13:31:45 UTC
Post by vulgarandmischevious
Is there a company, who do something that google do, who do it better
than google do?
The Gadget Show lot did this the other week. Slutty Suzy used Google and
some other bloke used anything else but.

I think Google won with the search, translation and mapping. Then "other
stuff" won for shopping searches. Dunno. Can't remember. It was that
good.
Champ
2009-11-24 23:33:58 UTC
On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 21:51:41 +0000, ginge
Post by ginge
Google maps is better anyway, thanks to streetview
eh? What on earth is the point of streetview?

Apart from that picture of a guy pulling a wheelie, of course.
neal at champ dot org dot uk
Wicked Uncle Nigel
2009-11-24 23:36:14 UTC
Using the patented Mavis Beacon "Hunt&Peck" Technique, Champ
Post by ginge
Google maps is better anyway, thanks to streetview
eh? What on earth is the point of streetview?
It allows Apple fanbois to see where they're walking without looking up
from their iPhones.

Switters
heh. Mind if I use that?
Wicked Uncle Nigel

ginge
2009-11-24 23:42:44 UTC
Post by ginge
Google maps is better anyway, thanks to streetview
eh? What on earth is the point of streetview?
Apart from that picture of a guy pulling a wheelie, of course.
OK, say you're going somewhere you've not been before, you can see
roughly where the place is on a map, but noclues as to what the place
looks like from the street.. what the parking is like, etc.

Streetview lets you have a look down the street without being there,
and for me as I've reasonable a photographic memory I know what I'm
looking for as though I've been there before, without aimlessly
looking around.
Kevin Gleeson
2009-11-24 23:57:07 UTC
Post by ginge
Google maps is better anyway, thanks to streetview
eh? What on earth is the point of streetview?
Apart from that picture of a guy pulling a wheelie, of course.
OK, say you're going somewhere you've not been before, you can see
roughly where the place is on a map, but noclues as to what the place
looks like from the street.. what the parking is like, etc.
Streetview lets you have a look down the street without being there,
and for me as I've reasonable a photographic memory I know what I'm
looking for as though I've been there before, without aimlessly
looking around.
Exackerly.

I just moved to Melbourne and was looking for somewhere to live. Found
a place, checked it on Google Maps, went to street view, checked what
the place looked like, chucked it in GPS and knew exactly what I was
in for when I got there.

Move in tonight.
Catman
2009-11-25 07:18:52 UTC
Post by ginge
[...]
You should probably buy / rent it first, though.
116 Giulietta 3.0l Sprint 1.7 GTV TS 156 V6 2.5 S2
Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Simon Wilson
2009-11-25 11:22:06 UTC
Post by ginge
[...]
Squatting not legal in Oz?
/Simon
Kevin Gleeson
2009-11-25 11:38:05 UTC
Post by ginge
[...]
Am posting from said residence now. Renter til I get feet on ground
here and get my own place. Although I am bikeless at the moment and
that ain't fun. So see which comes first.
guig
We used it extensively when looking for hotels when we were going to Oz.
Champ
2009-11-25 00:04:25 UTC
Post by ginge
Google maps is better anyway, thanks to streetview
eh? What on earth is the point of streetview?
Apart from that picture of a guy pulling a wheelie, of course.
OK, say you're going somewhere you've not been before, you can see
roughly where the place is on a map, but noclues as to what the place
looks like from the street.. what the parking is like, etc.
Yes, I do that all the time...
Post by ginge
Streetview lets you have a look down the street without being there,
and for me as I've reasonable a photographic memory I know what I'm
looking for as though I've been there before, without aimlessly
looking around.
<shrug> I don't find myself looking aimlessly around. I find my way
to the place using the map, and then ...well, then I'm there. Why
would I want to see a picture of it beforehand?
neal at champ dot org dot uk
Wicked Uncle Nigel
2009-11-25 00:07:19 UTC
Post by ginge
Streetview lets you have a look down the street without being there,
and for me as I've reasonable a photographic memory I know what I'm
looking for as though I've been there before, without aimlessly
looking around.
<shrug> I don't find myself looking aimlessly around. I find my way
to the place using the map, and then ...well, then I'm there. Why
would I want to see a picture of it beforehand?
To check out the hookers?

Ace
2009-11-25 09:39:02 UTC
Post by ginge
Streetview lets you have a look down the street without being there,
and for me as I've reasonable a photographic memory I know what I'm
looking for as though I've been there before, without aimlessly
looking around.
<shrug> I don't find myself looking aimlessly around. I find my way
to the place using the map, and then ...well, then I'm there. Why
would I want to see a picture of it beforehand?
When walking from a tube station down a long street, not all of whose
houses have numbers on them, in the pissing rain pulling a big
suitcase behind you, it's nice to have an idea of how far it is from
the streetview you looked at beforehand.
Krusty
2009-11-25 09:42:46 UTC
Post by ginge
Streetview lets you have a look down the street without being
there, and for me as I've reasonable a photographic memory I know
what I'm looking for as though I've been there before, without
aimlessly looking around.
<shrug> I don't find myself looking aimlessly around. I find my way
to the place using the map, and then ...well, then I'm there. Why
would I want to see a picture of it beforehand?
When walking from a tube station down a long street, not all of whose
houses have numbers on them, in the pissing rain pulling a big
suitcase behind you, it's nice to have an idea of how far it is from
the streetview you looked at beforehand.
Surely one has a man to carry one's suitcase?
--
Krusty

'03 Tiger 955i '02 MV Senna '96 Tiger (for sale)
'79 Fantic Hiro 250 (for sale) '81 Corvette (for sale)
c***@NOSPAM.netunix.com
2009-11-26 00:42:43 UTC
Ahem - Surely one has a gold encrusted limo to whisk one from one's
private jet to one's selected residence in places far away?
I'd fucking love a private jet.
Until you found out about the cost of running the damn thing.
Rather hire one when you need it.
--
03 GS500K2
76 Honda 400/4 project
06 Sukida SK50QT (Slanty eyed shopping trolley)
boots
2009-11-26 07:46:19 UTC
On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 00:42:43 +0000 (UTC) in uk.rec.motorcycles,
Post by c***@NOSPAM.netunix.com
Ahem - Surely one has a gold encrusted limo to whisk one from one's
private jet to one's selected residence in places far away?
I'd fucking love a private jet.
Until you found out about the cost of running the damn thing.
Rather hire one when you need it.
If you have to ask...
--
Ian
"Bother!" said Pooh as he hid Piglet's body with Tigger's
Paul Corfield
2009-11-25 18:37:32 UTC
On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 09:42:46 +0000 (UTC), "Krusty"
Post by Krusty
Post by Ace
When walking from a tube station down a long street, not all of whose
houses have numbers on them, in the pissing rain pulling a big
suitcase behind you, it's nice to have an idea of how far it is from
the streetview you looked at beforehand.
Surely one has a man to carry one's suitcase?
Ahem - Surely one has a gold encrusted limo to whisk one from one's
private jet to one's selected residence in places far away?
--
Paul C - "the big camp bastard" (tm d.a.r.s.y)
VFR800 | ZX6R | R1150GS
vulgarandmischevious
2009-11-25 23:17:55 UTC
'Hog
2009-11-26 13:06:25 UTC
Ahem - Surely one has a gold encrusted limo to whisk one from one's
private jet to one's selected residence in places far away?
I'd fucking love a private jet.
When I was romancing with Novel and Schmidt was CEO they had a great PJ.
I think A Challenger 604, new at the time. It was full gold bling
inside. Bouncing back between San Jose and Provo was a breeze and he
hopped over to St Andrews for dinner at Rusacks and a few games of golf.
Brought his his SO Wendy, also ex Sun, and very nice too.

It used over 9000kg of fuel each way for that little junket, think of
the 3rd world children dying for that. As the cunt had already banked
his first $100M via Sun he didn't really GAF.

Something for you to aspire to Ben?
'81 R65 Outfit
s***@freenet.co.uk
2009-11-24 23:59:13 UTC
Post by ginge
Google maps is better anyway, thanks to streetview
eh? What on earth is the point of streetview?
Apart from that picture of a guy pulling a wheelie, of course.
OK, say you're going somewhere you've not been before, you can see
roughly where the place is on a map, but noclues as to what the place
looks like from the street.. what the parking is like, etc.
Streetview lets you have a look down the street without being there,
and for me as I've reasonable a photographic memory I know what I'm
looking for as though I've been there before, without aimlessly
looking around.
It also lets me look on my street at my motorbike wot got swiped over the
summer. It'll be a reminder for quite a while, I imagine. Doubt they'll do
many streetview updates unless something radical changes on the maps.
--
| ***@freenet.co.uk | "I'm alive!!! I can touch! I can taste! |
Colin Irvine
2009-11-25 00:39:11 UTC
Post by ginge
Google maps is better anyway, thanks to streetview
eh? What on earth is the point of streetview?
I used it recently to recall the name of a cafe I'd visited.
--
Colin Irvine
ZZR1400 BOF#33 BONY#34 COFF#06 BHaLC#5
http://www.colinandpat.co.uk
Champ
2009-11-25 09:53:46 UTC
Post by ginge
Google maps is better anyway, thanks to streetview
eh? What on earth is the point of streetview?
I used it recently to recall the name of a cafe I'd visited.
OK, I can see how that would work.
neal at champ dot org dot uk
'Hog
2009-11-25 11:22:59 UTC
Post by ginge
Google maps is better anyway, thanks to streetview
eh? What on earth is the point of streetview?
I used it recently to recall the name of a cafe I'd visited.
OK, I can see how that would work.
Funnily enough Streetview was useful yesterday. A house I was interested
in was advertised by Estate Agent X. I asked how long it had been on, if
the price had been dropped and if it had been with another agent. The
answer to Q3 was no. I looked at it in SV last night and lo and behold,
it had a board up from Estate Agent Y.
'81 R65 Outfit
Jérémy
2009-11-25 08:17:34 UTC
Post by ginge
Google maps is better anyway, thanks to streetview
eh? What on earth is the point of streetview?
Apart from that picture of a guy pulling a wheelie, of course.
In the last week I've used it to check the way into an office building
where I had a meeting, and to get the name of a PC components shop on my
route home so I could call them to see if they had some memory in stock.

These days I'd almost certainly use it to take a look at anywhere I'm
supposed to go, if I haven't been there before. It only takes a minute,
and potentially saves me from wandering around wondering where the fuck
it is. It's good for checking out bike parking too.
--
Jeremy
R1200RT
Champ
2009-11-25 09:57:10 UTC
Post by Jérémy
Post by Champ
What on earth is the point of streetview?
These days I'd almost certainly use it to take a look at anywhere I'm
supposed to go, if I haven't been there before. It only takes a minute,
and potentially saves me from wandering around wondering where the fuck
it is.
uh huh. I guess my brain works differently - never find myself doing
that (wandering around).
neal at champ dot org dot uk
CT
2009-11-25 10:11:21 UTC
Post by Champ
Post by Jérémy
Post by Champ
What on earth is the point of streetview?
These days I'd almost certainly use it to take a look at anywhere
I'm supposed to go, if I haven't been there before. It only takes a
minute, and potentially saves me from wandering around wondering
where the fuck it is.
uh huh. I guess my brain works differently - never find myself doing
that (wandering around).
I'm with you. I don't think I've used streetview since just after it
was launched, and that was just curiousness.

I think that most of the replies are of the "because I can" school,
because many of us don't have a need for it, and I'm sure most of those
that do use it were fine before it existed.

It's a bit like GPS in that respect.
Chris
Kevin Gleeson
2009-11-25 22:24:19 UTC
Post by CT
Post by Champ
Post by Jérémy
Post by Champ
What on earth is the point of streetview?
These days I'd almost certainly use it to take a look at anywhere
I'm supposed to go, if I haven't been there before. It only takes a
minute, and potentially saves me from wandering around wondering
where the fuck it is.
uh huh. I guess my brain works differently - never find myself doing
that (wandering around).
I'm with you. I don't think I've used streetview since just after it
was launched, and that was just curiousness.
I think that most of the replies are of the "because I can" school,
because many of us don't have a need for it, and I'm sure most of those
that do use it were fine before it existed.
It's a bit like GPS in that respect.
Yeah - I know what you mean, but having not lived in Melbourne for 20
years, I can't remember the critical turns that get from one suburb to
another. I'm getting lazy so just suss it out first, then switch on
the GPS in my phone and let it talk me there.

Last time I lived here there were no mobile phones, no internets, and
no GPS.

How the hell did we meet up with mates fora beer?
CT
2009-11-26 08:40:26 UTC
Post by Kevin Gleeson
Last time I lived here there were no mobile phones, no internets, and
no GPS.
How the hell did we meet up with mates fora beer?
Easy. Try to drink with people that have some modicum of intelligence.
Otherwise it was like this:

"Let's meet in the Drunken Arsehole. Don't know it? Oh, it's wasy -
come out of the station, turn right, take the next left and it's the
building that looks like a pub, with a sign saying Drunken Arsehole.
What? Oh, I see...yes, you see that wooden rectangular thing at the
front? There's a round knob or lever on the front; turn it and push.
You will then be in the pub so walk towards the bar and ask the nice
mane for a pint of Old Scrotum. What's a *bar*?!..."
Chris
Kevin Gleeson
2009-11-26 08:49:22 UTC
Post by CT
Post by Kevin Gleeson
Last time I lived here there were no mobile phones, no internets, and
no GPS.
How the hell did we meet up with mates fora beer?
Easy. Try to drink with people that have some modicum of intelligence.
"Let's meet in the Drunken Arsehole. Don't know it? Oh, it's wasy -
come out of the station, turn right, take the next left and it's the
building that looks like a pub, with a sign saying Drunken Arsehole.
What? Oh, I see...yes, you see that wooden rectangular thing at the
front? There's a round knob or lever on the front; turn it and push.
You will then be in the pub so walk towards the bar and ask the nice
mane for a pint of Old Scrotum. What's a *bar*?!..."
It was actually a rhetorical question.

I've tried to explain that to my 24 year old flatmate for the past 3
years. She never turns up on time. We had to or you wouldn't find the
person. She has no concept of this.

I ended up saying "You text me when you are _actually_ on the way and
I'll tell you where I am".

She spent more time planning what she was going to do than actually
doing it. I would call her Rimmer when she did that but I don't think
she quite got the reference. In fact I think she probably thought
more of an unsavoury sex act knowing her.
CT
2009-11-26 09:00:19 UTC
Post by Kevin Gleeson
I've tried to explain that to my 24 year old flatmate for the past 3
years. She never turns up on time. We had to or you wouldn't find the
person. She has no concept of this.
I ended up saying "You text me when you are actually on the way and
I'll tell you where I am".
And this is the nub of it, IMO. Back In The Day {tm} if someone said
meet at 8pm in such-and-such a place, people got there OK, and pretty
much on time.

Nowadays, it's just too easy to be lazy, incompetent, selfish, to not
really worry about where and when you need to be somewhere. Can't be
bothered to find the place? Just call. Can't be arsed to organise
your life to get to a pre-arranged meeting on time? No, problem - be
an hour late, but as long as you call on the mobile, that's OK, right?
Post by Kevin Gleeson
She spent more time planning what she was going to do than actually
doing it. I would call her Rimmer when she did that but I don't think
she quite got the reference. In fact I think she probably thought
more of an unsavoury sex act knowing her.
But you never found out? Shame...
Chris
Catman
2009-11-26 09:07:42 UTC
Post by CT
Post by Kevin Gleeson
I've tried to explain that to my 24 year old flatmate for the past 3
years. She never turns up on time. We had to or you wouldn't find the
person. She has no concept of this.
I ended up saying "You text me when you are actually on the way and
I'll tell you where I am".
And this is the nub of it, IMO. Back In The Day {tm} if someone said
meet at 8pm in such-and-such a place, people got there OK, and pretty
much on time.
Nowadays, it's just too easy to be lazy, incompetent, selfish, to not
really worry about where and when you need to be somewhere. Can't be
bothered to find the place? Just call. Can't be arsed to organise
your life to get to a pre-arranged meeting on time? No, problem - be
an hour late, but as long as you call on the mobile, that's OK, right?
Fucking *revelation*

You just put your finger on what's been annoying me. I shall now go and
purchase a high powered rifle and scope.

Actually, I don't mind *too* much as long as the call is *before* I've
arranged my life to get there on time. Which, of course, it seldom is.
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
CT
2009-11-26 09:21:17 UTC
Post by CT
Nowadays, it's just too easy to be lazy, incompetent, selfish, to
not really worry about where and when you need to be somewhere.
Can't be bothered to find the place? Just call. Can't be arsed
to organise your life to get to a pre-arranged meeting on time?
No, problem - be an hour late, but as long as you call on the
mobile, that's OK, right?
Fucking revelation
You just put your finger on what's been annoying me. I shall now go
and purchase a high powered rifle and scope.
heh, no - a .44 Magnum.

Mate walks in:

"You're late"
"Yeah, sorry..."

*BANG*
Actually, I don't mind too much as long as the call is before I've
arranged my life to get there on time. Which, of course, it seldom is.
Oh dear. Best turn that gun on yourself then.
Chris
Catman
2009-11-26 09:28:38 UTC
Post by CT
Post by CT
Nowadays, it's just too easy to be lazy, incompetent, selfish, to
not really worry about where and when you need to be somewhere.
Can't be bothered to find the place? Just call. Can't be arsed
to organise your life to get to a pre-arranged meeting on time?
No, problem - be an hour late, but as long as you call on the
mobile, that's OK, right?
Fucking revelation
You just put your finger on what's been annoying me. I shall now go
and purchase a high powered rifle and scope.
heh, no - a .44 Magnum.
"You're late"
"Yeah, sorry..."
*BANG*
Actually, I don't mind too much as long as the call is before I've
arranged my life to get there on time. Which, of course, it seldom is.
Oh dear. Best turn that gun on yourself then.
I think you misunderstand. The call is seldom before I have arranged my
life to make the rendezvous on time. I have a pathalogical aversion to
being late.
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
CT
2009-11-26 09:35:29 UTC
I have a pathalogical aversion to being late.
Oh, aye. Me too.
Chris
Kevin Gleeson
2009-11-26 11:00:03 UTC
Post by CT
I have a pathalogical aversion to being late.
Oh, aye. Me too.
Yeah - I'll admit to being pretty anal about it. I think it is rude to
leave someone waiting for you. Gen Y don't seem to consider that
though. Well not most of them that I hang out with.
Catman
2009-11-26 11:17:08 UTC
Post by Kevin Gleeson
Post by CT
I have a pathalogical aversion to being late.
Oh, aye. Me too.
Yeah - I'll admit to being pretty anal about it. I think it is rude to
leave someone waiting for you.
Is the right fucking answer.
Post by Kevin Gleeson
Gen Y don't seem to consider that
though. Well not most of them that I hang out with.
I can spit on half a dozen Gen Xers from here with the same attitude.

I have a 5 minute rule for all meetings.
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Champ
2009-11-26 13:27:37 UTC
On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 22:00:03 +1100, Kevin Gleeson
Post by Kevin Gleeson
Post by CT
I have a pathalogical aversion to being late.
And me.
Post by Kevin Gleeson
Post by CT
Oh, aye. Me too.
Yeah - I'll admit to being pretty anal about it. I think it is rude to
leave someone waiting for you. Gen Y don't seem to consider that
though. Well not most of them that I hang out with.
Sod Gen Y, my gf seems to think it's ok too!
neal at champ dot org dot uk
Higgins
2009-11-26 17:25:56 UTC
Heh, me too. I struggle in an "international environment" :)
Kevin Gleeson
2009-11-26 10:58:39 UTC
Post by Kevin Gleeson
She spent more time planning what she was going to do than actually
doing it. I would call her Rimmer when she did that but I don't think
she quite got the reference. In fact I think she probably thought
more of an unsavoury sex act knowing her.
But you never found out? Shame...
Well considering she is a pole-dancer and now living in LA, there
isn't a lot I don't know about her after living with her for 3 years
:-P
Krusty
2009-11-26 11:08:25 UTC
Post by Kevin Gleeson
Post by CT
But you never found out? Shame...
Well considering she is a pole-dancer and now living in LA, there
isn't a lot I don't know about her after living with her for 3 years
:-P
<muddycat>

Bloody pole dancers, coming over here, taking our jobs.

</m>

Ben
2009-11-25 10:00:01 UTC
Post by ginge
Google maps is better anyway, thanks to streetview
eh? What on earth is the point of streetview?
I'm finding it useful for house hunting.

And it's good when I need to go to client's offices as I can see what
their office looks like before I get there, making it often easier to
find.
--
GSX-R1000 K8
Bandit 1250GT L0
GSX-R600 W
Krusty
2009-11-25 10:12:44 UTC
Post by ginge
Google maps is better anyway, thanks to streetview
eh? What on earth is the point of streetview?
I'm finding it useful for house hunting.
I used Live Maps birdseye view a lot for that, very very useful.

doetnietcomputeren
2009-11-25 18:36:06 UTC
Post by Champ
Post by ginge
Google maps is better anyway, thanks to streetview
eh? What on earth is the point of streetview?
The last time I used it in earnest, I was trying to figure out which
street gave the best view of the Hollywood sign[1], as visiting friends
wanted to go see it.

[1]
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=34.118053,-118.32153&spn=0,359.940004&z=14&layer=c&cbll=34.118253,-118.321531&panoid=gYpKAf9RnofA6_uALiEMlQ&cbp=12,1.01,,1,-0.54
Dnc
CT
2009-11-26 08:45:12 UTC
Post by doetnietcomputeren
Post by Champ
Post by ginge
Google maps is better anyway, thanks to streetview
eh? What on earth is the point of streetview?
The last time I used it in earnest, I was trying to figure out which
street gave the best view of the Hollywood sign[1], as visiting
friends wanted to go see it.
heh. When we'd finished our Road Trip in 2005 and were back in LA for
a night, we decided we had to go and see the Hollywood sign. I mean,
how difficult could it be? Seeing as one of our group had been the
Support Vehicle driver, I took him on the back. So, four HDs, riding
around LA during evening rush hour, with our only directions given by
my mate on the back trying to read a crappy map in twilight.

We made it in the end, and got right up close to it, but I'm still not
convinced it was worth the effort.
Chris
Dave Emerson
2009-11-24 22:33:29 UTC
Post by 'Hog
Aaaaargh multimap.co.uk is dead. Reaped by the Corporate Beast.
It's suddenly utter shit.
I'm surprised it took Micro$oft so long...
http://www.multimap.com/press/press_releases/pr185_microsoft/
http://tinyurl.com/4mhaw
B 650
2009-11-24 22:35:14 UTC
Post by 'Hog
Aaaaargh multimap.co.uk is dead. Reaped by the Corporate Beast.
It's suddenly utter shit.
Looks the same as it has for ages, what's shit about it?

I tend to flip between google maps and multimap, as I don't find one to
be substantively better than the other.
Champ
2009-11-24 23:35:04 UTC
Post by 'Hog
Aaaaargh multimap.co.uk is dead. Reaped by the Corporate Beast.
It's suddenly utter shit.
I always used to use streetmap, tho I use google more nowadays.
neal at champ dot org dot uk
Pip
2009-11-25 17:09:26 UTC
Post by 'Hog
Aaaaargh multimap.co.uk is dead. Reaped by the Corporate Beast.
It's suddenly utter shit.
I always used to use streetmap, tho I use google more nowadays.
I use google maps a lot. Streetmap has its uses though, as it provides
OS maps at 1:50,000: useful for features rather than roads, essential
for spot height information and the like.
Pip, the "Mechanical Nightmare" (tm Bonwick Major)
Jim
2009-11-25 17:25:41 UTC
Post by Pip
I use google maps a lot. Streetmap has its uses though, as it provides
OS maps at 1:50,000: useful for features rather than roads, essential
for spot height information and the like.
Multimap has the OS Explorer (1:25000 maps) now (there's a button you
can click for this), which are truly lovely and put Google to shame.

It's a pity you can't get them through the API, although there are
rumours that OS might be relaxing things somewhat next year.
Scraggy
members. Groucho Marx
Jim
2009-11-26 10:55:27 UTC
Post by Scraggy
Post by Jim
Post by Pip
I use google maps a lot. Streetmap has its uses though, as it
provides OS maps at 1:50,000: useful for features rather than roads,
essential for spot height information and the like.
Multimap has the OS Explorer (1:25000 maps) now (there's a button you
can click for this), which are truly lovely and put Google to shame.
It's a pity you can't get them through the API, although there are
rumours that OS might be relaxing things somewhat next year.
You saw this?
Yes, that was the story.

It'll be interesting to see how it ends up: in an ideal world everyone
can get on and use the map data we've all paid for at vastly reduced
cost. In a non-ideal world, OS will lose the funding it needs to keep
everything up to date.
Scraggy
2009-11-26 11:53:27 UTC
Post by Jim
Post by Scraggy
You saw this?
Yes, that was the story.
It'll be interesting to see how it ends up: in an ideal world everyone
can get on and use the map data we've all paid for at vastly reduced
cost. In a non-ideal world, OS will lose the funding it needs to keep
everything up to date.
My first thought were, it's free as a loss leader, then at some point the
charges will start.
It's like the Aerial Imagery taken donkeys years(WW2&+)ago, I don't
understand why it has to be paid for again & again.
When I did an Air Photo reading course back in the day, some of the imagery,
for doing inter-visibility problems etc, was using Norwegian imagery taken
by 1PRU/543 Sqn in ca 1942-3, FFS. I suspect they've had more than their
moneys worth out of that Spitfire/Mosquito mission.
Much more to the point why should one be charged by the porridgewogs for a
UK asset.
<grumbles off into distance>
members. Groucho Marx
zymurgy
2009-11-25 21:49:35 UTC
Post by ginge
On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 21:43:16 -0000, "'Hog"
Aaaaargh multimap.co.uk is dead.  Reaped by the Corporate Beast.
I use google maps a lot.  Streetmap has its uses though, as it provides
OS maps at 1:50,000: essential for spot height information
That's some zit ...

Paul.
Malc
2009-11-25 08:45:57 UTC
Post by 'Hog
Aaaaargh multimap.co.uk is dead. Reaped by the Corporate Beast.
It's suddenly utter shit.
Suddenly? It's looked like that for at least two years.

Malc
'Hog
2009-11-25 11:25:29 UTC
Post by Malc
Post by 'Hog
Aaaaargh multimap.co.uk is dead. Reaped by the Corporate Beast.
It's suddenly utter shit.
Suddenly? It's looked like that for at least two years.
OK that's odd. Yesterday Multimap started rediresting to
www.bing.com/maps
Today it has gone back to the old site
'81 R65 Outfit
Champ
2009-11-25 11:30:02 UTC
On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 11:25:29 -0000, "'Hog"
Post by 'Hog
Post by Malc
Post by 'Hog
Aaaaargh multimap.co.uk is dead. Reaped by the Corporate Beast.
It's suddenly utter shit.
Suddenly? It's looked like that for at least two years.
OK that's odd. Yesterday Multimap started rediresting to
www.bing.com/maps
Yes, with a popup that said "would you like to try Bing maps? Click
here to go back to the original MultiMap"