FONT : New Phone Time
Brownz (via Gurgle Gruppez)
2017-06-12 10:54:43 UTC
Choices....
Samsung Galaxy S8
Samsung Galaxy S7
One Plus 3T
LG G6
Huawei P10
Sony Xperia XA1 Ultra

Anyone got any pluses or minuses to ownership to any of these devices ?
Cheerz - Brownz
Brownz (via Gurgle Gruppez)
Or something altogether different, but not fruity, in a sim free flavour ?
boots
2017-06-12 11:17:27 UTC
Post by Brownz (via Gurgle Gruppez)
Post by Brownz (via Gurgle Gruppez)
Choices....
Samsung Galaxy S8
Samsung Galaxy S7
One Plus 3T
LG G6
Huawei P10
Sony Xperia XA1 Ultra
Anyone got any pluses or minuses to ownership to any of these devices ?
Or something altogether different, but not fruity, in a sim free flavour ?
My S4 is almost dead and L is due a new phone, I've been looking at the
Honor 8 pro for her with a view to swiping her S4 as a replacement. Not
jumped yet but might be worth a look at its capabilities.
Ian
boots
2017-06-15 12:09:30 UTC
Post by boots
Post by Brownz (via Gurgle Gruppez)
Post by Brownz (via Gurgle Gruppez)
Choices....
Samsung Galaxy S8
Samsung Galaxy S7
One Plus 3T
LG G6
Huawei P10
Sony Xperia XA1 Ultra
Anyone got any pluses or minuses to ownership to any of these devices ?
Or something altogether different, but not fruity, in a sim free flavour ?
My S4 is almost dead and L is due a new phone, I've been looking at the
Honor 8 pro for her with a view to swiping her S4 as a replacement. Not
jumped yet but might be worth a look at its capabilities.
Bad form etc, Honor 8 pro not as yet available here, so a Samsung C9 has
been purchased as an alternate.
Ian
Nick Brooks
I like my Pixel
Simon Wilson
2017-06-12 11:35:31 UTC
Post by Nick Brooks
Post by Brownz (via Gurgle Gruppez)
Post by Brownz (via Gurgle Gruppez)
Choices....
Samsung Galaxy S8
Samsung Galaxy S7
One Plus 3T
LG G6
Huawei P10
Sony Xperia XA1 Ultra
Anyone got any pluses or minuses to ownership to any of these devices ?
Or something altogether different, but not fruity, in a sim free flavour ?
I like my Pixel
Pixel is spendy, but then so is the S8. I'd choose Pixel over that
because of the "pure" Android experience.

Because of my current job I'd be looking at which one has the best BLE
performance too.
/Simon
sweller
2017-06-14 05:55:20 UTC
Post by Simon Wilson
Pixel is spendy, but then so is the S8. I'd choose Pixel over that
because of the "pure" Android experience.
If you can get one. The Pixel seems to be totally out of stock.

I bought an S8 - it's nice enough but some of the Samsung stuff is a
bit odd (as in I'm not used to it). The contacts and SMS seem to be a
bit "faffy".
Simon
Switters
2017-06-13 07:57:20 UTC
Post by Nick Brooks
I like my Pixel
For me, the show-stopper on those is no memory card slot.
Simon Wilson
2017-06-13 08:30:36 UTC
Post by Switters
Post by Nick Brooks
I like my Pixel
For me, the show-stopper on those is no memory card slot.
Not quite sure why you'd need one, but there's always usb to go.
/Simon
p***@gmail.com
2017-06-13 08:44:21 UTC
Post by Simon Wilson
Post by Switters
For me, the show-stopper on those is no memory card slot.
Not quite sure why you'd need one, but there's always usb to go.
I lost a load of photos on holiday after dropping the phone on a tiled floor.

That said, I still haven't got around to buying a memory card for my current
phone.
Pip
Simon Wilson
2017-06-13 08:52:23 UTC
Post by p***@gmail.com
Post by Simon Wilson
Post by Switters
For me, the show-stopper on those is no memory card slot.
Not quite sure why you'd need one, but there's always usb to go.
I lost a load of photos on holiday after dropping the phone on a tiled floor.
That said, I still haven't got around to buying a memory card for my current
phone.
My 'phone photos get uploaded to 2 or 3 different places.
/Simon
gpipl
2017-06-13 09:50:34 UTC
Post by Simon Wilson
Post by p***@gmail.com
Post by Simon Wilson
Post by Switters
For me, the show-stopper on those is no memory card slot.
Not quite sure why you'd need one, but there's always usb to go.
I lost a load of photos on holiday after dropping the phone on a tiled floor.
My 'phone photos get uploaded to 2 or 3 different places.
Well, in my case, it was a PAYG phone on exorbitant roaming charges, so mobile data was firmly turned off, and Wifi was a bit patchy as well, though I guess that might have saved many of them.
Pip
Nick Brooks
2017-06-13 09:28:18 UTC
Post by p***@gmail.com
Post by Simon Wilson
Post by Switters
For me, the show-stopper on those is no memory card slot.
Not quite sure why you'd need one, but there's always usb to go.
I lost a load of photos on holiday after dropping the phone on a tiled floor.
That said, I still haven't got around to buying a memory card for my current
phone.
Pixel's get free unlimited photo storage if you don't object to Google
having your stuff.
c***@mail.netunix.com
2017-06-13 10:10:37 UTC
Post by Nick Brooks
Post by p***@gmail.com
That said, I still haven't got around to buying a memory card for my current
phone.
Pixel's get free unlimited photo storage if you don't object to Google
having your stuff.
Yebbut you still have to pay for the data to upload them which can be
expensive when roaming.
wessie
2017-06-13 16:14:37 UTC
Post by c***@mail.netunix.com
Post by Nick Brooks
Post by p***@gmail.com
That said, I still haven't got around to buying a memory card for my
current phone.
Pixel's get free unlimited photo storage if you don't object to
Google having your stuff.
Yebbut you still have to pay for the data to upload them which can be
expensive when roaming.
my phone is set to upload to Dropbox only via wifi - most I could lose is a
few photos taken on a daytrip. Mostly it would be zero as I don't stop
often.
Brownz (via Gurgle Gruppez)
So was my HTC One M9 - until Android 7 came along and royally screwed it. It now only uploads if dropbox is the active app in the foreground. Lot's of stuff has stopped working as it did before, spotify stops streaming via BT as soon as the screen locks. All pretty poor. Also seems to suffer from some sort of bootloader issue, last time I gave it a proper reset it took about a day to come back and was just stuck in a loop at the boot screen. I daren't turn it off now.
wessie
2017-06-13 20:45:27 UTC
Post by wessie
few photos taken on a daytrip. Mostly it would be zero as I don't
stop often.
So was my HTC One M9 - until Android 7 came along and royally screwed
it. It now only uploads if dropbox is the active app in the
foreground. Lot's of stuff has stopped working as it did before,
spotify stops streaming via BT as soon as the screen locks. All pretty
poor. Also seems to suffer from some sort of bootloader issue, last
time I gave it a proper reset it took about a day to come back and was
just stuck in a loop at the boot screen. I daren't turn it off now.
I have a HTC One, retrospectively called M8 now I think, which is getting
sluggish. Seems to pause a lot. It's about time Hog bought me another phone
with 50% off...
Hog
Moto G4??
wessie
£12.50?
Krusty
2017-06-13 09:26:15 UTC
Post by Simon Wilson
Post by Switters
Post by Nick Brooks
I like my Pixel
For me, the show-stopper on those is no memory card slot.
Not quite sure why you'd need one
I use mine for backing up action cam videos. The cam has got a built-in
WiFi server but it's flaky as fuck & doesn't work most of the time. So
I take the card out the cam, stick it in the phone & upload to Drive.
--
Krusty

Raptor 1000 MV 750 Senna Fantic Hiro 250
Switters
2017-06-16 11:19:37 UTC
Post by Simon Wilson
Post by Switters
Post by Nick Brooks
I like my Pixel
For me, the show-stopper on those is no memory card slot.
Not quite sure why you'd need one, but there's always usb to go.
Well, sure if you've gone for the 128GB model, the need for such a thing
is probably beyond the comprehension of most people.

Traditionally, the prices of the higher storage model have been
excessively different compared to the price of a memory card. In this
case, the "model 1" appears to be £725 vs £830 (quick look on Amazon). A
128GB MicroSD comes in at £40.

I don't fill things immediately, but gradually add more and more music,
photos, videos, etc. With each phone that I've had, I've simply upgraded
the memory card.
c***@mail.netunix.com
2017-06-16 18:20:55 UTC
Post by Switters
Traditionally, the prices of the higher storage model have been
excessively different compared to the price of a memory card. In this
case, the "model 1" appears to be ?725 vs ?830 (quick look on Amazon). A
128GB MicroSD comes in at ?40.
I don't fill things immediately, but gradually add more and more music,
photos, videos, etc. With each phone that I've had, I've simply upgraded
the memory card.
So IOW you just let it fill up with crap.
I find that a 32GB MicroSD card is overkill because I regularly dump the
contents to a home PC where it is reliably backed up. There is little
point in keeping photos on the phone for long and once you have watched
a video it is history.
Turby
2017-06-16 19:21:26 UTC
Post by c***@mail.netunix.com
I find that a 32GB MicroSD card is overkill because I regularly dump the
contents to a home PC where it is reliably backed up. There is little
point in keeping photos on the phone for long and once you have watched
a video it is history.
I, OTOH, treat my 32GB card as a portable backup, with almost all of my
photos on i. If I'm out and about, I can show someone a pic without
having to carry a laptop with me.
--
The erstwhile Thomas
FJR1300, R1200GS, ST1100 (in pieces)
Switters
2017-06-20 11:31:49 UTC
Post by c***@mail.netunix.com
So IOW you just let it fill up with crap.
I find that a 32GB MicroSD card is overkill because I regularly dump
the contents to a home PC where it is reliably backed up. There is
little point in keeping photos on the phone for long and once you have
watched a video it is history.
Haha. My media management suits me very well. If I did it your way, the
things I wanted to show would be stuck on the PC at home. But if it works
for you, I'm beyond delighted.

Hog
2017-06-12 19:42:48 UTC
Post by Brownz (via Gurgle Gruppez)
Post by Brownz (via Gurgle Gruppez)
Choices....
Samsung Galaxy S8
Samsung Galaxy S7
One Plus 3T
LG G6
Huawei P10
Sony Xperia XA1 Ultra
Anyone got any pluses or minuses to ownership to any of these devices ?
Or something altogether different, but not fruity, in a sim free flavour ?
Moto G4 32gb. It has dual sims and it's basically perfect other than not being waterproof. Survived many attempts to break it. Surprisingly cheap.

Short in supply though, available through eBay
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorola-Moto-G4-Plus-XT1642-32GB-Unlocked-Dual-sim-Black-cleaning-cloth-/112142770810
Pete Fisher
2017-06-12 20:02:30 UTC
Post by Hog
Post by Brownz (via Gurgle Gruppez)
Post by Brownz (via Gurgle Gruppez)
Choices....
Samsung Galaxy S8
Samsung Galaxy S7
One Plus 3T
LG G6
Huawei P10
Sony Xperia XA1 Ultra
Anyone got any pluses or minuses to ownership to any of these devices ?
Or something altogether different, but not fruity, in a sim free flavour ?
Moto G4 32gb. It has dual sims and it's basically perfect other than not being waterproof. Survived many attempts to break it. Surprisingly cheap.
Short in supply though, available through eBay
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorola-Moto-G4-Plus-XT1642-32GB-Unlocked-Dual-sim-Black-cleaning-cloth-/112142770810
I've just ordered a standard G4 to replace SWMBO's increasingly flaky
Galaxy S3. It will do all she needs. The lad's S6 Edge kept him happy
and weaned him away from the i-nonsense. Like most smart phones though
rather fragile, so awaiting repair. If the Moto is more robust that will
be a bonus.

I'm happy enough with my S4 mini as I need to break out the folding
reading specs to use any phone in 'smart' mode now, so the small screen
size makes no odds. It is also easier to slip in to my trusty M&S cheap
Rohan clone 'cargo pants' or a bike jacket pocket.
--
KTM 250 EXC - back to the Dark Side
Gilera GFR, Moto Morini 2C/375

"Do not adjust your mind, there is a fault in the reality"
unknown
2017-06-12 21:01:03 UTC
On Mon, 12 Jun 2017 12:42:48 -0700 (PDT),
Post by Hog
Post by Brownz (via Gurgle Gruppez)
Post by Brownz (via Gurgle Gruppez)
Choices....
Samsung Galaxy S8
Samsung Galaxy S7
One Plus 3T
LG G6
Huawei P10
Sony Xperia XA1 Ultra
Anyone got any pluses or minuses to ownership to any of these devices ?
Or something altogether different, but not fruity, in a sim free flavour ?
Moto G4 32gb. It has dual sims and it's basically perfect other than not being waterproof. Survived many attempts to break it. Surprisingly cheap.
Short in supply though, available through eBay
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorola-Moto-G4-Plus-XT1642-32GB-Unlocked-Dual-sim-Black-cleaning-cloth-/112142770810
I just bought G5 Duals(XT1676) for Madam
and I. 3GB RAM Octacore, And 7 etc. Only
down is No NFC, if that's important to
you.
Hog
Ah now I thought the G5 was back to single SIM, it takes 2?
unknown
Apparently.
Mark Olson
2017-06-12 22:05:10 UTC
Post by Hog
Post by Brownz (via Gurgle Gruppez)
Post by Brownz (via Gurgle Gruppez)
Choices....
Samsung Galaxy S8
Samsung Galaxy S7
One Plus 3T
LG G6
Huawei P10
Sony Xperia XA1 Ultra
Anyone got any pluses or minuses to ownership to any of these devices ?
Or something altogether different, but not fruity, in a sim free flavour ?
Moto G4 32gb. It has dual sims and it's basically perfect other than not being waterproof. Survived many attempts to break it. Surprisingly cheap.
Short in supply though, available through eBay
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorola-Moto-G4-Plus-XT1642-32GB-Unlocked-Dual-sim-Black-cleaning-cloth-/112142770810
Just over a month ago, I bought the Moto G4 Plus 64 GB for $200, as a
potential replacement for my wife's iPhone 5S. Not a week after I got
it, my Nexus 5X experienced the all-too-common 'bootloop' issue.[1]
So I got a crash course in migrating back to a Motorola phone, before
the Nexus 5X I had two Moto phones which I really liked.

Except for it having a micro USB instead of USB-C, and not having NFC,
I think it's arguably a better phone in every other way. Motorola
have a light touch on pure Android, and I think they actually have
some nice things added. Not sure exactly what flavor of Nougat it's on
but it's 7.x, one or two minor revisions older than the Nexus 5X. The
screen is fantastically bright and clear, the camera is excellent,
I can't see a lot of difference from the 5X camera, which is also
very good. It has Turbo Charging V2 (?) which works pretty well with
a compatible charger. Also has an FM radio tuner (!). Battery life
beats the Nexus 5X.

And based on what I've been reading about the 5X, I got the Moto
phone just in time, many people have been through multiple warranty
replacements of their 5Xs. I wanted to stick with Nexus, but now
that Pixel ($$$) has replaced the Nexus brand, it seems Google don't
want my business any more. I also desperately want a new Nexus 7
equivalent tablet, but they also seem to have abandoned me on that
front, too.

[1] I have to give proper credit to Google. My phone was outside the
standard 12 month warranty, and it was a few days short of 18 months
old. Google support listened to my tale of woe, and through Project
Fi[2], replaced it FOC with a refurb'ed unit that appears for all
practical purposes to be brand new.

[2] I never was a Project Fi subscriber, but I didn't tell them that.
Just bought it from the Google Store.
Speedgazebo MOTP #1
2017-06-13 13:08:51 UTC
+1
Speedgazebo
YTC1
2017-06-15 15:43:02 UTC
On Monday, 12 June 2017 12:00:46 UTC+1, Brownz (via Gurgle Gruppez)
Post by Brownz (via Gurgle Gruppez)
Post by Brownz (via Gurgle Gruppez)
Choices....
Samsung Galaxy S8
Samsung Galaxy S7
One Plus 3T
LG G6
Huawei P10
Sony Xperia XA1 Ultra
Anyone got any pluses or minuses to ownership to any of these devices ?
Or something altogether different, but not fruity, in a sim free flavour ?
Moto G4 32gb. It has dual sims and it's basically perfect other
than not being waterproof. Survived many attempts to break it.
Surprisingly cheap.
Short in supply though, available through eBay
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorola-Moto-G4-Plus-XT1642-32GB-Unlocked-Dual-sim-
Black-cleaning-cloth-/112142770810

I am using the moto g4 as I cross Russia. Sat in my tank bag as
emergency GPS and hotel/petrol station hunter.

It seems to have survived the rain so far.

I just wish I had the dual SIM one.
http://2pegs3.blogspot.co.uk
the man with no idea
http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/samsung-galaxy-s8-o2-125-upfront-6gb-data-unlimited-minutes-texts-27-00pm-for-24mths-2714142
YTC1
2017-06-12 15:24:08 UTC
On Mon, 12 Jun 2017 03:54:43 -0700 (PDT), "Brownz (via Gurgle
Post by Brownz (via Gurgle Gruppez)
Choices....
Samsung Galaxy S8
Samsung Galaxy S7
One Plus 3T
LG G6
Huawei P10
Sony Xperia XA1 Ultra
Anyone got any pluses or minuses to ownership to any of these
devices ?

They all cost (some) money
http://2pegs3.blogspot.co.uk
Turby
2017-06-12 22:15:54 UTC
On Mon, 12 Jun 2017 03:54:43 -0700 (PDT), "Brownz (via Gurgle Gruppez)"
Post by Brownz (via Gurgle Gruppez)
Choices....
Samsung Galaxy S8
Samsung Galaxy S7
One Plus 3T
LG G6
Huawei P10
Sony Xperia XA1 Ultra
Anyone got any pluses or minuses to ownership to any of these
devices ?
They all cost (some) money
I have a Galaxy S5. It works. I've often wondered what possible
improvements might entice me to change. Haven't heard any yet. Although,
I know that previous Samsungs had different sensors that would allow an
app to measure wind speed and direction, which my phone can't. Not
exactly a deal breaker.
Brownz (via Gurgle Gruppez)
Just tried upgrading to a pixel through carphone whorehouse. Made it all the way to putting a deal in the basket and it 404s on me. Went through all the details again. Got to the same point. Same results - hitting the "Add to Basket" sends me to 404sville. It's like they're trying to actively discourage me from spending my money with them. Will have another scout around when I get home. Just in case it's a firewall thingy here (which I doubt). Cheers all.
c***@mail.netunix.com
2017-06-12 16:21:58 UTC
Post by Brownz (via Gurgle Gruppez)
Choices....
Samsung Galaxy S8
Samsung Galaxy S7
One Plus 3T
LG G6
Huawei P10
Sony Xperia XA1 Ultra
Anyone got any pluses or minuses to ownership to any of these devices ?
They are all expensive models, I go for the cheaper Samsung models at
around ?150 and PAYG at £10/month.
Not as flashy but they do exactly the same job and save a lot of money.
Champ
2017-06-12 19:16:38 UTC
On Mon, 12 Jun 2017 03:54:43 -0700 (PDT), "Brownz (via Gurgle
Post by Brownz (via Gurgle Gruppez)
Choices....
Samsung Galaxy S8
Samsung Galaxy S7
One Plus 3T
LG G6
Huawei P10
Sony Xperia XA1 Ultra
Anyone got any pluses or minuses to ownership to any of these devices ?
Ace of this parish seems fairly positive about his chinese ruggedised
BlackView BV6000, so I'm seriously considering one of them when I next
change
Brownz (via Gurgle Gruppez)
Interesting..... Might have to do some research before jumping, very unlike my normal style !!
Bruce Horrocks
2017-06-12 22:17:47 UTC
Post by YTC1
On Mon, 12 Jun 2017 03:54:43 -0700 (PDT), "Brownz (via Gurgle
Post by Brownz (via Gurgle Gruppez)
Choices....
Samsung Galaxy S8
Samsung Galaxy S7
One Plus 3T
LG G6
Huawei P10
Sony Xperia XA1 Ultra
Anyone got any pluses or minuses to ownership to any of these devices ?
Ace of this parish seems fairly positive about his chinese ruggedised
BlackView BV6000, so I'm seriously considering one of them when I next
change
Interesting..... Might have to do some research before jumping, very unlike my normal style !!
As you're willing to consider the Huawei P10 then maybe their Honor 8
Pro might be a bit less of a strain on the wallet.
<https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/05/22/honor_8_pro/>
--
Bruce Horrocks
FJR1300AS
Higgins
2017-06-12 21:34:11 UTC
Post by Brownz (via Gurgle Gruppez)
Choices....
Samsung Galaxy S8
Samsung Galaxy S7
One Plus 3T
LG G6
Huawei P10
Sony Xperia XA1 Ultra
Anyone got any pluses or minuses to ownership to any of these devices ?
OnePlus 3T here and very happy with it. Stable, good battery life and dual
SIM means I'm not carrying two phones.